Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Tsunami #1261 02/28/05 05:20 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
To save lots of wheel spinning the USAID is the government agency "incharge" of all US based relief effort.

Re: Tsunami #1262 02/28/05 11:39 AM
Will Truax Offline
Tim –

I am afraid I more than disagree, ”we” are not the client…

As much as I enjoy debate and the hashing out of ideas, it is not to anything or anyone’s benefit to endlessly discuss what this effort is to be or become in this medium. Yes it is the same medium that spawned the idea, but it is not one which is conducive to debate, the discussion is far too indirect and delayed to allow for efficient debate.

Cohesion is growing around an idea, and I see nothing wrong with allowing it to.

The idea is simply to choose a design for a small but permanent domicile of very light timber, one that can be quickly cut and easily raised, one joined as simply as possible. One which the recipients could be reasonably expected to replicate so they in turn might help their neighbors.

That there is a need for such a thing , a way to permanently house untold and nameless thousands in a way which is easily repeatable yet still reinforces some sense of human dignity and helps move people out of temporary camps and helps them help themselves and in turn helps restore their lives direction, is simply indisputable

Cohesion is growing around the multiple mini rendezvous model..

Cohesion is growing around an idea and nothing more…

A worthy NGO is the client, and they with their hard gleaned knowledge of the effected region/s and it/’s socio-political environment/s will determine if our idea is worthy of them

Your point # 5 is already part of the idea

The question was realized when homes fell down around peoples lives . It matters not if they were washed or fell away, they are still gone..

The answer is…ours to help find.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1263 02/28/05 12:01 PM
Joe Miller Offline
My 2¢

I think once a defined need is determined, we should work on how to keep this activity under the auspices of the Guild; it needs to have some educational component.

With all of the public interest right now in helping out, offering localized workshops with individual structures being created would probably draw large crowds. Just think how many local groups you've seen over the last few months doing Tsunami benefits? There is a lot of local labor out there that would be more than willing. Just look at the amount of interest on this discussion board if you don't believe it. The cause may need cash the most right now, but we all have hubristic motives to some extent. Now, we can appease that desire by getting sweat on our brows, making something tangible, for people who really need shelter. Plus, we get to preach the word of Timber Framing.

However, defining the need should be paramount right now. And, why not Habitat for Humanity, once we have done our south-Asia work? There is always a local need too. Perhaps even more so now that local efforts are being directed overseas.

Re: Tsunami #1264 02/28/05 03:16 PM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
I was to indirect.

I learned that a Good Builder, builds to suit the client. They hold the answers, we draw from them dreams, needs and add knowledge and expertise, Budget, and real world practicalities modify all, from this a design is born which is, ultimately, a compromise, yet one which seeks to the Best such possible.

Focus.

The areas hit are Huge, comprise Many nations, religions and regions. Some areas will be almost impossible to reach, others will have no need, what-so-ever, of what is offered.

There are billions of dollars being spent on this relief effort, countless organizations involved, many of which target key aspects, and for which, this Disaster is but one of many missions.

This thread echos with aspects of the program, Habitat for Humanity. For all that it's critics berat it (and I have been one, at times), Habitat for Humanity is a good example of a program which has survived the years, served a niche, and done so in a semi-independent state.

I, as so many of us did, entered Timber Framing not as a profession, But to do something, for myself, and a Loved one, and, as a great many of my peers, I fell into a quasi career. For the first time, in a long, long while, I can see my field providing something invaluable. Something practical, and something needed.

We are a small effort, should even the full weight of our numbers be felt. There is not yet one post which examines the practical aspects of designing a structure for Indonesia. Not One voice which picks up where Ken Rowe left off, with a marker towards where we need to go for answers.

How can debate be ended, when no answers have been sought?

My Desire is not to make people, here, at home feel good about themselves, and their efforts. No backslapping and fine feelings of a job well done, as dozens of frames, finished and packaged; languish, unused, unnoticed, awaiting transport to some uncertain destination, where they may, or may not fulfill a need.

With the right beginning, why could this not become a rival to Habitat for Humanity? In the true sense of the word?

The need will remain for years, and, elsewhere, the need exists NOW, and will never depart. Let this be the beginning of something great, which stretches into the far flung future.

Re: Tsunami #1265 02/28/05 04:22 PM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
Will is correct in some sense, there needs to be a next step. So far the interest has been expressed, and it is overwhelming.

There has been a Rough, and raw, evaluation of the objective, and this has not varied since the second post of this thread.

It is time for that next step, a group of like-minded individuals, for whom time is of the essence. I would say the issue is a refinement of the original design specs,

Beyond that, I would agree with Will, and the many others here, that Action follows, One must capitalize on the feelings flowing through the body, Now.

Whether this is under the "Auspices" of the guild, or is a wholly independent movement, may be discovered in time. It certainly need not be Guild run, as is amply shown here.

Success will bred success, and Action, action.
The research NEEDED may not be extensive, and the intial objective need not be overwhelming, or over reaching.

I agree that simplicity is best, certainly at the beginning.
So,

lets get started, shall we?

Re: Tsunami #1266 02/28/05 08:23 PM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Hello Everyone,

A thought occurs to me as I look back over the tread. The majority of participants live either in Virginia(Emmett, Bob Smith, Chris S., and Crabtree) or New Hampshire(Will, Timberbe, Joe, Bob Spoerl) with several more of us near New Hampshire(Myself in Maine, Ken Rower in Vermont, and Laura in Boston). Does anyone else think it would be beneficial for regional meetin gor two, possible even coordinated to allow for a phone conference with the other.

I believe that at heart we are all thinking along similar lines, though I agree with others that we are hampered in terms of effective communication by the limits of this message board. I would certainly be willing and able to meet somewhere in New Hampshire in the coming few weeks. I will also be travelling to Virginia for the Ferry Farm event, so would love to discuss possibilities with any of you there. What are people feeling about such an idea? Interested - not interested?

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1267 03/01/05 01:15 AM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
Very Interested.
Will, Matt Steel, Kyle Whitehead, Glenn Dodge, and I; all live, and work, closely together as well. I believe Will has brought us all into this, I don't speak for the afore mentioned group, by any means, but the enthusiasm, and the Desire to do Something, is unmistakeable.

Please Count me in.

Re: Tsunami #1268 03/01/05 07:31 AM
jim haslip Offline
Hey Guys,
I've read pretty much this whole thread and there is some good stuff in here.
The history of Architecture as I am familiar with it is include a basic principle that the best building materials are those found locally.
There is no doubt in my mind (no size jokes,Joel)that what we do best is build things out of wood. And, yes, the residents across the way need housing and other facilities built for them. However, the need also has a "cash" requirement as well. So might I make a suggestion that will meet both of these criteria.
Perhaps we could find things or projects which we could build from wood , then arrange for them to be donated for sale or auction and the proceeds submitted to an Aid supplier.
We get to do what we like best (build things), the effort gets cash to build housing, etc with the cash our efforts raised.
Eventually our efforts might proceed to the point where we build or supply housing to the cause, but wouldn't it be a start?
Maybe our efforts could include Timber Framing workshops where the participants are instructed in the Art of Timber Framing by laying out and cutting picnic table bases or Playhouses that the Red Cross receives and sells? Or Framing Horses?
The wood could be requested from our local suppliers as their contribution. How little wood would it take out of a 3,000 Board Foot Project to build a little something? Who doesn't have waste wood on most projects?

Re: Tsunami #1269 03/03/05 12:53 AM
Joel McCarty Offline
Forum contributors!

The TFG Board has asked me to report out their interest in this thread to you, and to ask if some of you would be willing to take on the research needed to discover if there is a confluence of their needs and our abilities. Specifically we thought that Emmett Greenleaf and Will Truax would do well to investigate the topic - starting with this link http://www.usaid.gov/locations/asia_near_east/tsunami/ngolist.html

What do you think?

-Joel McCarty

Re: Tsunami #1270 03/03/05 01:42 AM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Joel, in response to your post, I'm all for it. I have heard from Emmett regarding meeting up in Virginia and plan to talk with him about the Tsunami effort during the Ferry Farm project. If others are interested who will be in attendance or are near to the site, I am sure we could nail down a date and time. I am also interested in the possibility of a gathering with some involved in this thread here in new Enland. I know that a number of those expressing interest are near you there in SW NH. Anyone interested in setting a meeting time and place to help move ideas forward. My schedule is fairly open at present and I could certainly put time towards the effort. Thanks for the boards interest.

Steve

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users