Steve

Would love to set up a meet

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1272 03/03/05 02:19 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
In reply to Jim Haslip's post I would have to say that the idea of building something to auction off or sell in N.A. is growing on me... Either that or sending the proverbial bandsaw mill and some itinerant framers to the scene now strike me as the best help.... If someone was able to travel to the scene, perhaps Will's plan could be used?
If something is built for auction, I would still say stay small but a building would be a good idea(something like a cottage bunkie?)

Re: Tsunami #1273 03/03/05 02:31 AM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Will

Am I correct in thinking that there are others from this thread that are near you there. I am in Maine about a half hour beyond North Conway so probably 2 hours or so from you. Name a time (other than next tuesday)when you and any others are free and I will be there. Thanks for all that you have contributed to this effort so far. I am looking forward to seeing some of your pans and talking about next steps.

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1274 03/03/05 03:05 AM
T
timw Offline
T
Im sure this has been thought of already, but In such a grief stricken area, where ones faith must offer a great deal of comfort,some beautiful timber frame places for prayer, et al. Might help strenthen some spirits. I don know what its like there, but it must be grim. Great stuff ya'll are doing.

Re: Tsunami #1275 03/03/05 01:32 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
To raise money to send to at target relief organization, we could build a small timber frame building. Sell this building at a public auction being held at the eastern conference in Burlington VT this fall.
Timber framers who are interested in helping could cut one or two pieces of the frame and bring them to the conference.
Then with TV coverage, newspaper coverage and open to the public, assemble the frame outside in the parking lot near the spot where the crane was at the last conference held at this site.
Then after it's assembled auction it off, we'll have an auctioneer there on site for the guild event anyhow.
This would help with exposure of the guild to the public and open up the selling of this frame to the public and hopefully raise more money.
I have two designs we use here at my workshops. One is a 14'x 16' two story shed/cabin/barn and the other is a 12'x 16' shed. The big one has 56 pieces of wood in the frame not including pegs. And the little one has around 46, not including pegs. We can also sell pegs, as is done to help raise money.
Companies or interested parties could receive a drawing of their part via email and cut it out to the specs of the drawing.
This cutting of parts by different people was done years ago by the guild, in building a home for habitat for humanity.
Doing it this way, each shop could do what they like to do, cut frame parts, and help the overall project.
Other designs could be summited and considered by a committee and get the ball rolling for completion at the fall conference.
This could also be done regionally. One in the southeast, one on the west-coast, and other areas where there are centers of timber framing.
These are just some of my ideas about how to do something to raise money, help them, and get some exposure for the guild and timber framing.
I'd be happy to help any way I can.
Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers Timber Designs
Jim Rogers Sawmill
Georgetown, MA

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Tsunami #1276 03/04/05 01:07 AM
M
milton Offline
M
Hi All:
Lots going on here.
Do the folks on the ground have enough hand tools, lashing line, shovels to make a dry place to sleep? Can we help tool up?
I may have missed this discussion in my quick read.
go for it!
Curtis

Re: Tsunami #1277 03/04/05 03:36 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Has anyone done any of the research suggested by Joel McC.? If so who was contacted and what have you found?

Re: Tsunami #1278 03/04/05 06:53 PM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
I have been doing a little research and have been in touch with a local outreach group that has recently returned from the region. Their mission was to pass out food, clothing and some medical supplies as well as identify needs. I am going to meet with them and discuss some of the needs and opportunities that they became aware of. They will be travelling again in three separate groups to the three primary regoins affected in the next couple weeks. I will post the results of my discussion.

Re: Tsunami #1279 03/05/05 12:12 PM
Will Truax Offline
John

I’m not sure I saw “research” as a green light to contact potential partners in the Guilds name. And had I, I would be reluctant to do so at the level of preparation we currently stand at. The vision is not yet clear and It does not seem reasonable or prudent to approach the very short list of potential partners at a point in time when they have never been so busy, with little more than an idea which has not even been agreed upon let alone quantified. The lack of preparation would see the contact dismissed out of hand.

Present an idea fully fleshed out, with materials prepared to help describe it, and units to be donated predictable in large degree, and I have no doubt such an offer would be considered and accepted.

In the interest of working to let this thing gel –

We quantify five lists

Those of us willing to coordinate efforts
Those of us willing to host multiple mini’s
Those of us willing to attend multi mini’s
Those of us willing to donate individual sticks
Those of us willing to go with these materials to the region

If we can show that we hold the potential to replace the housing for an entire small village, say 20 – 30 units…

And maybe throw a little Madison Avenue spice on it by describing it as
It takes a community to build a village

Then we have something to give.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1280 03/05/05 05:56 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Will

You make a good point but my question comes from years of residential design work. One of the most important things I have learned is to not progress too far with any concept (or plans) without periodically checking with the client to see if your ideas (good as they may be) fit their needs.
My reason then for inquiry about research is not to suggest presenting a plan or project as a complete and ready package but to find a source on the receiving end to advise us about specific information that may affect the design of the frame and or how the project is put together.
I see no reason why this sort of inquiry could not be done concurrent with the planning and organization on this side that you suggest. The question presented would be simply, “what do you need?”
I think your point about mentioning that we have the capability to provide 20-30 units or a village worth’s of homes is something that can be communicated without having a fleshed out plan for exactly how we are going to do it.
As for contacting anybody in the guilds name, that is one thing that I am not sure we have a green light on that at all. The only communication with the guild on this forum
that I am aware of is Will B’s statement that this does not fit with the guilds mission and Joel’s posting with the link and mention of the boards interest. Neither one of these constitutes a “green light”. Has anyone had some communication to the contrary?

I do want to acknowledge that you seem to have done the most real work towards making this thing happen and I believe it will come to fruition. Thank you

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users