Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Tsunami #1201 12/31/04 03:02 AM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Watching news of the tsunami devastation in Asia it occurs that some historic structures must have been damaged. Perhaps there would be something the guild can do to become involved in with reconstruction. Not right now (I think we would just be in the way) but in the near future
Thoughts? Info?

Re: Tsunami #1202 01/07/05 11:08 PM
Will Truax Offline
When I first saw this post, I thought… The rebuilding will be measured in years and historic replication and restoration, should and will be on the very bottom of the list of what needs be done. Housing is the real need and a recovery in their local economy, and how can we help in that ?

Then, hours and hours after I clicked off and powered down. It suddenly occurred to me that there is no reason why we should or could not. If we only step just outside the box and a design for a house frame is come to, that is small in two ways, by western standards and also small in timber section, at least in how our collective and preconceived minds eye sees it, yet is still big enough to support simple joinery, bevel laps and daps and cogs and clasps. Say 17 X 21 with the largest timber section being maybe 6 X 7, complete with window and door wells with which to fasten traditional local, or donated enclosure materials. A home for the masses which in time can be added to

The modular nature of what we do and the very availability of the material we use and the simple tooling that can be used in the doing is how we can help.

These small precut frames could be shipped from afar and raised in hours with little or no skilled help. Donated pieces of white pine could stand with loblolly or beech or doug fir or come to stand next to English oak at first and then ultimately mix with the teaks and the other indigenous woods of the effected areas. The hundred Hundegger cut pieces could stand side by side with the smaller donations of dozens of two and three man shops, and after teams of instructors go to teach local folk to cut this same house frame again and again and help create the housing they so desperately need… Perhaps all this, with the help of band mills and other materials we can help secure the donation of.

I know this is beyond the scope of our mission, but I also know we are a united and capable group and there are many among us are prone to
fits of fancy and giving.

And nothing says we have to go it alone, we could join hands with likeminded others and together reach out -

http://www.shelter.org

http://www.eeri.org home page of the link below

http://www.world-housing.net/countrylist.asp see Indonesia and others, the 2nd and 3rd worlds, desperatly need housing which will stand up to seismic activity – See also the small grants link

We have it in us, in that kernel of imagination that is what we are, and know and choose to do, to do so much more than just reach for the checkbook

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1203 01/07/05 11:29 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Will, I wish you would write more, I really enjoy reading your posts...
If you would put your design on paper, then post on the web, I would join the line-up to cut some of the pieces for it...maybe use some eastern white cedar, which would be light to ship.
I don't see why a few of us couldn't cut a few timbers and then send them to a central spot somewhere to be test raised and then send them it on to somewhere it would be needed.....

Re: Tsunami #1204 01/08/05 04:53 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Gentlemen;
Let us continue outside the box. Concept - woodmizer portable mill and a crew of TF folks working in concert with existing on the ground relief agencies in South Asia.This part of the world still has lots of standing forests, a lot closer than anyplace in North America. Now to find a sponsor to pay the board and transport bill.
Next ?

Re: Tsunami #1205 01/09/05 02:50 PM
Will Truax Offline
Mark –

Thanks for the compliment, I try. As you have guessed, I have worked up such a design and have enlisted help in autocading up a digitized set, from there an FEA, then hopefully a seismic analysis, then it’s how to get the ball rolling.

Emmet –

Two things, It seems much could be done “out of the way” the needs there are much more basic and will be for months. If people are seen to reach out with not just money, but their time and their ideas, I believe it would be recognized and bring that sponsorship you speak of.

Re: Tsunami #1206 01/09/05 06:31 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
First let me say this...

You guys are too cool

I think that Will has some excellent ideas. My thought was not that we could provide housing but this sounds entirely reasonable and doable.
Any plan for providing shelter in the immediate future must keep in mind that these areas have little to no infrastructure remaining.
It should be noted that the island of Sumatra suffered from both the tsunami and the quake that spawned it

In looking thru the information on the World Shelter web site (nice link Will). It seems that the most common indigenous building technologies in the region use masonry walls and timber trusses.
By “region” I am referring to Indonesia, India and other countries in the area. The walls are variously supporting, non-supporting but providing shear, or a recent innovation in India, masonry enclosure to a self-supporting and braced timber frame.
The last seems to me the model that would allow for local enclosure systems while not precluding the use of panels or other donated enclosure. It would also provide opportunity to introduce a seismically resistant building type. The idea being that perhaps this would provide a seed that would result in a more common practice after we leave.
If the building were to be enclosed by masonry would we want to make accommodation in the timber details?
For helping hands and a contact with the military (who have the transportation and equipage) perhaps we should engage Grigg Mullin

Will, I would curious to see that CAD file

Re: Tsunami #1207 01/09/05 10:28 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
re transport to South Asia.
Unfortunately there is no flag in the member directory to identify retired military.
Am I the one and only in the guild ?
We enjoy free air transport the world over on a space available basis. After the initial max load of "relief" supplies there will probably be space available. Any "relief" supplies (like a trailer mounted bandsaw) could probably be negotiated with the USAF.
Next idea ?

Re: Tsunami #1208 01/09/05 10:41 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Part III thinking out loud.

The media has highlighted Germany as a major contributor to SE Asis relief especially in light of the significant German population in that part of the world. My guess is that Dietrichs would supply working drawings of the final design is asked (I have not contacted them yet)
If it has not happened already where in that mix are the German tool manufacturers ? hmmmmmmmm

Re: Tsunami #1209 01/09/05 10:50 PM
C
Cole Offline
C
Hi all,

This may not be of relavance but it occured to me that there would be a need for clean up and site prep prior to installation of these prefabed buildings. Anyone with experience in excavation could ba a help here. Just a thought.

Great ideas everyone!
~Cole

Re: Tsunami #1210 01/10/05 01:23 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
part IV thinking out loud. Further review of the disaster media blitz shows also significant Japanese contributions. Japanese tools anyone ?
Japanese timberframers too.
It seems to me we need three basic things.
An easily replicated frame design with positive seismic characteristics.
Commitments from folks and tool/stuctural material vendors. (do we build slab on grade in an active seismic zone ?)
A single POC to handle governmental interface and contacts with relief organizations.

And the next step is ??

Re: Tsunami #1211 01/10/05 04:39 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I would also offer to help co-ordinate and organize the cutting of some small frames by several shops.... someone would need to check that there are not too rafters or sills in relation to the posts and beams? I'm not really very connected to ways and means to actually ship materials around the world.... Is it a good idea to have frame peices arrive at a central spot in North America for a test fit?
Are there others who could donate some time and materials to help send some small frames to these troubled areas? Even one frame sent over would be a good lesson in sharing our wealth?

By the way, Will, I was thinking maybe 16x21 might be easier to find spare materials for?

Re: Tsunami #1212 01/11/05 01:44 AM
A
Anthony Offline
A
As I am in the middle of milling Doug Fir for my frame it would be easy for me to mill some additional pieces to contibute to the cause. I have quite a few logs that I can use. Also, I could do some joinery in February when I am done milling and move on to cutting joints. Sorry that I can't help with planning and coordination. I am in Port Townsend, Washington.Let me know.

Re: Tsunami #1213 01/11/05 02:43 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
How many of you interested parties have or are willing to get the FREE Yahoo mesenger so we can have an open group discussion on line ?

Re: Tsunami #1214 01/11/05 03:04 AM
Will Truax Offline
Emmet --

Tell me how and when.

Re: Tsunami #1215 01/11/05 03:41 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
At the suggestion of Will Truax:

download for the Windows version of Yahoo! Messenger.

http://www.messenger.yahoo.com/download.php

cut and paste in your browser, for whatever reason the info did not copy as a link.

Today's lesson for me, it posted as a link after I edited it. hmmmmmmmmmm Life is full of surprises.

Re: Tsunami #1216 01/11/05 01:47 PM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Great discussion topic folks and kudos to my chuko brother John Budday for starting this discussion. smile
I would be willing to do what little I can to donate time and material to the cause. I agree with Mark, there should be a time and place for test fitting. For that matter would it make more sense to coalesce timber material in one area and do all the layout and cutting one time at a guild redezvous? Just a thought. Either way Mark, I would be will to coordinate my efforts with you since we are in the same region. As it stands right now i have some Balsum fir I could donate.

Keep up the good work
Ian

Re: Tsunami #1217 01/12/05 03:38 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I think we should identify a recipient and learn something from them about what works in the specific region to which we would be sending these frames

Anthony, I am buried until mid Feb but after that I would be available to come help you in PT

Ian, remember……. wherever chuko, there you are

Re: Tsunami #1218 01/14/05 01:40 AM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Greetings to all in the thread,

I am heartened to see such a level of activity on this forum. There have been a number of great suggestions that I think really need to be explored more fully. In light of this, I'm wondering what it would take to make this a sanctioned Guild event and how to reach an even wider audience. I have discussed this idea with people I've met as I've travelled and there has been universal interest. When I mention that I came across the idea here at ATE, I've met with the almost universal response: "Oh, I never go there." So, to get more people, is it possible to get a hotlink on the home page? (Joel, that's for you.) Also, remember to tell everyone you come into contact with to check it out. Not just for this topic, but all the forums.

The situation in Indonesia is going to be a long term one, let's continue to flesh out both the concept and the delivery of services. The charitable response around the world has been overwhelming. Organizations are beginning to turn away doners, so finding a partner may not be difficult. Again, it might be easier to attract partners if we were operating under the guild umbrella. How do we get there? (Will, that one's for you.)

Keep up the discussion. Post replies to bump the thread to the top of the forum. Doing something this big will be a lot of hard work. Will has started down that path, others will need to do so as well. Perhaps an ad hoc committee is needed to marsall all the energy I am seeing. Should this come to pass, who is interested in serving?

The Guild is us.

Bob

Re: Tsunami #1219 01/14/05 01:50 AM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Bumping the thread....

Re: Tsunami #1220 01/14/05 05:50 PM
M
Michael Yaker Offline
M
I would be willing to do my share in helping out. I would also throw out the idea of shipping over our waste materials. How many of us have shops or barns full of left over building materials we can't seem to work into our next job. A six foot piece of tar paper or coffee can full of misc screws, would probably be much more appreciated by those who don't have as much as we do.

Mike

Re: Tsunami #1221 01/14/05 09:35 PM
L
LauraV Offline
L
As a student at an art school that has done several timberframing projects with help from the Guild in the past, I'm sure I could drum up a group of very eager volunteers to contribute time and labor for such an endeavor.

Re: Tsunami #1222 01/14/05 10:12 PM
C
Cole Offline
C
I would gladly donate my time to the effort. laugh Just let me know.

~Cole

Re: Tsunami #1223 01/15/05 02:29 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
thinking out loud part next

It seems we have two ways to go: ship precut/fitted frames for erection on site
OR
send a bandsaw & crew to do it all on site

cost compare shipping vs more people to S Asia.

We still have to identify need, an agency already on the gound for "supervisory" and logistics interface
AND,
the big one, selecting an area where our folks are relatively safe. Some 7 years of my life have been spent in the Pacific rim and the S Asia insurgents/bandits are not to be taken lightly.

Has anyone looked for a siesmic friendly design yet ?
For those of you who have already volunteered skils and time we thank you.

deralte

Re: Tsunami #1224 01/15/05 04:58 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I'm all for cutting some peices here and shipping, my sheep would be upset if I made international travel plans....
As far as where to send frames, it could be that some frames should be produced first, perhaps by the time some frames are ready, we will have figured out a good place to send them?
A building plan would be good.......Will has posted that something is on the drawing board.....maybe time for an update?
A thought I had about the plan is that the building should have timber groundsills(even if the floor is dirt), This would make set-up and moving the buildings much faster....
This could be a good long term project, there are many areas of need besides the tsunami region..
As far as a committe goes, please feel free to contact me..

Re: Tsunami #1225 01/15/05 12:51 PM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Hi everyone,

Emett, I've been bouncing around the same cost analysis around in my head. At anyrate the more we ship over the more of a depreciation there is in the effort. Its kind of like getting oil out of the tar sands. There's lots there but just too expensive to get out.
As I'm constantly reminded by relief orgs not to send goods over b/c its too costly and as one persone mentioned earlier we would be just getting in the way, I see this developing into a long term, hopefully ongoing effort, working closely with relief organizations. As mentioned, they know where the need lies, also they are extremely good at tapping into local markets.
I also think from a learning perspective and an empowerment perspective it would be nice if locals can realize the process through, from milling, layout, cutting etc. Again, down the road, (when there are roads) it would be nice to see a guild tour.
Having said that, I think there is a third option which would do more good in the short term. I can see that the enthusiam is continueing to grow and even though what is needed now is money by relief orgs, people want to give more than money. Why not have a Guild gathering, cut a frame or a number of frames (on site or regionally by different shops), using donated materials and auction the frames off. That money could be used by either relief orgs. or used by the Guild as buying power abroad when the time is right.

Ian

Re: Tsunami #1226 01/15/05 02:32 PM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Hi, I'm back

I appreciate the last post suggesting we convert our efforts to cash, thereby maximizing the immediate impact of our donation. But the giving is for the giver as well, and I would prefer to see the direct product of my sweat be delivered. Egotistic perhaps, but there it is.

My vision of how this might work is to have multiple and similtaneous rendezvous around the country. Laura, could you host one in Boston? John, Lakebay; me, Lexington; Mark, Ontario; and so on. I think we could get ten sites and produce at least ten frames. Once those frames are completed, we gather them to a shipping location and send them via a pre-selected partner along with a small crew of framers to erect them.

Ideally, we would be connected with a local aid group that was involved with housing relief that could then perpetuate our efforts. Someone has suggested that Wood-mizer has probably already sent over several of their mills. Finding out who it is that they're working with may be a step toward finding our partner. Does anyone on this thread have a connection to Wood-mizer or the inclination to develop one?

All for now, more later.

Bob

Re: Tsunami #1227 01/15/05 05:24 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Before we spend too much more time discussing who, how and with what we really should come with a for whom and where
The area affected by the tsunami was large geographically, culturally and politically. This will affect (in the same order) logistics, receptivity and safety I think it would be good to identify the "client" and what partner organizations are interested.
Until we do that, we a talking in absence of vital information that will help to decide what options will be best to pursue. Bobs wish to send something from his hands I can entirely identify with, however Ians suggestion might ultimately be the quickest help we can offer. Or we might find that we can be of use in other ways
A thought....
What if we did pursue the build and auction concept with the idea that we can take the proceeds and donate them directly or use them to hire hundegger shops to turn out more frames than we might otherwise accomplish? This is one case where quantity has a quality all it's own. Think of it as a force multiplier. Either way we could begin plans for the frames while pursuing how to use the proceeds.
We need a designated guild liaison to contact relief organizations, military etc.
Oh Joeell!!!!....Wiiill!

Re: Tsunami #1228 01/15/05 06:01 PM
Will Truax Offline
Wow… Heartening responses all.

I see, as John seems to, a potential to benefit the region in multiple ways. Helping to provide the immediate and long term need to create housing for uncountable thousands of now homeless people while at the same time introducing a building technology which may help minimize the death toll in some future event, and lastly that that introduction will hopefully, at the same time, help in the rebuilding of the regions economy.

I still see it all starting here, that an effort begun here will attract enthusiasm and ideas and even money, and that then this effort would naturally and necessarily be transplanted to the region and ultimately take on a life of it’s own…
It all starts here, mayhaps, it already has !

Do like that multiple rendezvous model

Cad file is near completion and the analysis is around the corner.

Seems there are folks who want to take this by the horns. Maybe the time has come for some form of more direct conversation and a time and a mechanism should be chosen for some virtual meeting

Re: Tsunami #1229 01/16/05 01:25 AM
C
Cole Offline
C
What about Habitat for Humanity as a partner. I know they have a program called Global Village, that works internationally and their Disaster Responce program is active in the tsunami effected areas right know.

Heres the link-
http://www.habitat.org/gv/

and heres the link to their disaster response program-
http://www.habitat.org/disaster/

Just a thought.

~Cole

Re: Tsunami #1230 01/17/05 01:30 PM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Hey everyone,

Keep up the free and open discourse. The more ideas we bounce back and forth the better. But as Will suggested it may be time to be more proactive. Would anyone object to me asking Susan Witter to exerpt this forum thread in the next issue of Scantlings so a larger demographic, other than cybergeeks like ourselves, can participate? smile

Ian

Re: Tsunami #1231 01/17/05 02:14 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
good idea, Ian. Get the thread out of the forum, as the forum is not the place to organize action....a great place to ask questions and learn but how can you organize something like this???
Also, Ian I can now see the point about sending timberframes overseas.. it would be a lot of added cost to move the timbers from north america to asia..
Unless the transport is donated?

Re: Tsunami #1232 01/19/05 05:05 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Ian/Mark,
in this thread today requested Susan to publish a notice in the next 2 Scantlings looking for those in our number who are retired military.
We fly free to overseas destinations on a space available basis. These folks could easily become the nucleus of a crew for S Asia.
Taking notice of our effort here in Scantlings still requires a venue for those to respond. Maybe they will find free email and free access at the local library.

Re: Tsunami #1233 01/19/05 05:23 AM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
Some very motivated and well intended posts in this thread, I think perhaps these good intentions may be slightly optimistic and misplaced though as we cannot comprehend the devastation that these coastal regions have seen. I see a couple reccommendations that could be problematic. I agree with the premise that pre-fabbed frames would be prohibitively expensive to send over. Likewise the initiative to obtain a mobile sawmill and transport it assumes that the country has timber available and suitable for framing as well as the rights for the public to cut it. Please keep in mind the majority of the devastation took place in a tropical region where the bulk of the trees are palms or a species of bamboo. Both of these are suitable for building structures but do not lend themselves to milling and timber framing in the fashion we might like. The interior forests are composed primarily of teak, mahogany and rosewood which although beautiful and workable are too valued for commercial export to be used in timber framing. Obtaining access to these forests could be a political and environmental disaster. It is only reasonable to believe that the traditional masonry/steel and bamboo construction typically utilized is probably the most practical. Perhaps the worst problem with timberframes in this region would be termites and wood eating insects.

On the positive side, maybe we could focus our efforts on building a couple frames that could be auctioned off for charity and proceeds sent to the Tsunami victims and perhaps build a frame or two for the victims of our own US disaster in CA where people have lost there homes to the recent mudslides. Both could be done quickly and efficiently with little risk and maximum participation as travel, housing, etc. would not be as difficult or expensive. My 2 cents. All good discussion!!!

Re: Tsunami #1234 01/19/05 12:27 PM
Will Truax Offline
Crabtree –

While I can see the validity in all you say, and welcome constructive criticism to any conversation. And, at the same time can see there is something of pie in the sky in this premise, that it is a long stretch to see past how antithetical this all is…

I can not buy the certitude that shipping is somehow a prohibitive and defining factor in the same world that sees a global market that has the planet constantly criss-crossed by container ships, the same market and shipping capacities you suggest suck all the useful timber out of the region and leave it’s people to live in unreinforced unfired clay brick hovels. That, this is how it is and how it will ever be, that this is their lot, and ours is to accept it.

To my mind , this is overly pessimistic.

On the contrary I would suggest that mountains of materials are at this moment streaming in that direction, much of it far more inappropriate to the region than most of those we have suggested here, materials for which there will be far to few people available with the know how to put it to efficient use.

As to the auction angle, money raised with such great effort would still be a piddling in an already overflowing bucket and though my heart goes out who suffer with the losses and aftermath of the landslide tragedy I am certain the public outpouring which is also headed their way and insurances are helping do what can be done.

Too much said, I know. Must be up to a dime already.
Thanks for the bump.

Re: Tsunami #1235 01/19/05 12:53 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Expressing my support and interest in helping and bumping the thread. Could perhaps host an event in the Southeast.

Gabel Holder

Re: Tsunami #1236 01/19/05 02:00 PM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Emmett. I'm not entirely clear as to what it is you asked Susan Witter to post in Scantlings. If it was a request for more involvement and input then I think we have taken a big next step and I wont persue it any further.
It think wether the frames are shipped overseas or sold can be hammered out later. What is needed now is the Guild to come together . Actually, the Guild is big enough that both can be a reality, and no ones ego gets hurt.

Ian

Re: Tsunami #1237 01/19/05 07:00 PM
C
Cole Offline
C
Adding to Will's reply,

Victims of natural disasters here in the US not only have the privlige of insurance, they also have FEMA to help offset the cost of rebuilding. A privlige not available to the tsunami victims.

By no means am I trying to say one family without a roof over their head is any more acceptable near rather than afar.

Bumping the thread.
~Cole

Re: Tsunami #1238 01/20/05 02:08 PM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
My apologies to all if I sounded brash or critical in my post. It was not my intent nor my spirit to down anyones opinion or ideas on such a noble cause. My intent was to second the opinion of Mr. Buday that identifying the "client" and the "for whom, where" aspects are critical in being successful.

The most severely damaged area was the Island of Banda Aceh and in particular the western and north coast. Most humanitarian efforts are currently focused on the eastern portion. In addition to many being homeless, the following problems exist.

1. Fishing communities and fleets have been destroyed.
2. Shipping lanes are closed and treacherous with loss of navigational lights, channel markers, and bouys, A natural trench, previously the mainstay of shipping in that region has gone from over 1000' deep to less than 100' All lanes must be re-mapped, a task NOAA expects to take more than 3 months and then the debris cleared from the ports before safe shipping can be resumed. All supplies must currently be flown in.
3. Many water supplies have been contaminated.
4. Salt has spoiled the soil for agrarian purposes for many years to come.
5. They are in an ongoing civil war.
6. There is little currency. Goods are being bartered and commerce is chaotic.
7. Much of the islands has been reclaimed by the ocean and cannot be re-built.
8. The industrial areas have been wiped out leaving most people permanently unemployed.
9. Debris and waste must be removed and burned or carried of before rebuilding can begin.
10.Schools and streets are plugged with dead bodies awaiting burial.

This is a much different dynamic than simply rebuilding after a hurricane like we do here in the US.

We must also take into consideration the culture which is deeply religious. Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism are the primary religions. They prefer humble abodes and shun flamboyant western ideas. They do not all live in poorly constructed hovels and are actually well versed in architecture. Just like the US colonies, much of the Achenese province was developed in a Dutch Colonial style during the occupation of the Dutch. (interestingly enough the Dutch were a large influence in timber framing). The Achenese have adopted steel/concrete sructures with timber frame roofs becase of the tropical elements. The collapse of these buildings is due in part to the lack of building code and enforcement thereof just as it was in the Turkish quake a few years ago

Last but not least the hardwood forests of this region are in dire straits because of exploitation and irresponsible practices primarily by Japan.

http://forests.org/archive/indomalay/malessay.htm

On the positive side, I would propose that rather than building homes in a style they might not embrace on a individual basis perhaps we could endeavor to rebuild a community structure. A large number of the schools were destroyed in the area. They are a priority to be rebuilt. By building a school we could provide an educational benefit in more than one way and we would be able to identify a "client" and a place for the structure. It would be neccessary to coordinate efforts with local government as to the needs and any code requirements but it would make for a challenging and interesting project.

http://thestaronline.com/news/story.asp?file=/2005/1/10/latest/20625Scaredkid&sec=latest

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/text1-13-2005-64174.asp

Re: Tsunami #1239 01/21/05 02:13 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Bob,(crabtree)
Your cited report on the decimation of S Asian timber predates 1998. Has the situation changed ?
deralte

Re: Tsunami #1240 01/21/05 12:21 PM
Will Truax Offline
Crabtree –

No apologies are necessary, and I hope no offense was taken with my spirited reply, none was intended. I was but trying to affirm that which was the underlying emphasis of my original post. That the effected region as a whole, has housing which is incapable of standing up to even moderate seismic activity and that had an event of this magnitude been land based and free of the tidal wave, the sheer numbers might and the magnitude of the tragedy may have been near this same degree of devastation. And I see that, as itself tragic and near as great a cause for action.

I am aware of the regions timber trade and that though much has been done both on the international and local fronts to stem the flow, it continues largely illegally. Another cause for action.

I do hope your obvious familiarity with Indonesia and the passion your well said posts exhibit, mean we can expect to enjoy your continuing interest.

Thanks again

Re: Tsunami #1241 01/21/05 03:09 PM
Will B Offline
Guys,
I am mightily impressed by the activity on this topic. Sorry I Haven't seen it until today (thanks for e-mailing me the threads, Ian). Joel usually monitors the ATE, not me, but he has been laid up recently and will be back in the saddle soon.
I will forward the threads on the the TFG Board, because this is really their decision to put staff time and effort into this, not Joel's or mine.
However, I should say that as much as we want to help as an organization, this effort is not part of our stated mission. We are not United Way or Habitat for Humanity. Our mission is to educate timber framers, not provide housing. If you can figure out a way to convince the membership and the IRS that using membership dues to finance any part of this effort helps fulfill our mission, then we could do something. It would be much more appropriate for one of you to coordinate this at a grassroots level, with the Guild providing promotional support through Scantlings and the website.
Here's an analogy: say we have a charter member of the TFG pass away and his family is left destitute and without anything for the kids education. Should we put Guild time and effort into raising funds for the family? 'Fraid we can't, but we can support any of you who want to do so. We can put money in that person's name into the scholarship fund (which helps educate timber framers), but not give money directly to the family.
We could build frames here as part of a workshop/training program; that would work. We could train Indonesians to build timber frames; that's OK. But I don't think we can mobilize timber framers to provide housing, according to our charter.
Ultimately, this is the Board's decision.

Re: Tsunami #1242 01/22/05 03:59 PM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
"If you can figure out a way to convince the membership and the IRS that using membership dues to finance any part of this effort helps fulfill our mission, then we could do something."

I think the convincing is easy in that the model we are considering is workshop/rendezvous oriented. Then the result of that effort goes to a deserving clinet. Seems the same as most event models I've participated in to date. One difference is that there is no client providing "adequate funding", but most costs would be donated (timber and labor).

As I see it, our primary difficulty is identifying a recipient and a partner. I think finding an appropriate partner would lead to all other answers. There have been several suggestions for partners in previous posts. What is the best avenue for pursuing and/or courting a potential partner. Would the board itself need to approve any potential partner or does that fall to the general membership? When is the next board conference call, and could John Buday and Will Truax present our case to them then?

The need for assistance will be long term and while we want to rush to help, we also need to make sure that any product of our efforts is well considered and appropriate.

Having all the fun there is at the Creek,
Bob

Re: Tsunami #1243 01/22/05 06:50 PM
K
ken rower Offline
K
For drawings and photos of traditional housebuilding in Indonesia--albeit on Sumbawa Island, nearer the eastern end of the island chain--see Timber Framers News 16, "House Building in Donggo."

Termites are certainly a traditional problem, countered by building well off the ground on footed posts, and keeping the ground clear and swept under the building.

A number of you in this thread write eloquently or cogently or both, and I urge you to send me (journal@tfguild.org) accounts of your timber framing discoveries and opinions.

Regards to all,

Ken

Re: Tsunami #1244 01/23/05 07:53 PM
C
Chris S Offline
C
It's ironic that while I was considering a very similar concept for Haiti: constructing timber frame "house kits" with donated materials and labor and shipping them on a small barge (100 tons) pulled by diesel workboats, it never occurred to me the same could be done for tsunami victims.

Obviously the barge as transportation in my plan would have to be a container ship, but as Will T put it, how many containers full of 2x4's do you think the U.S. will be sending over the next months/years? Some of those could be containers of timber frames.

Since there hasn't been any post containing "hard numbers" for shipping costs, I'd suggest shipping should be consider a "high-risk" issue and some dedicated effort assigned to study the feasibility and/or mitigating the risk as it could really sink the plan.

Would it be reasonable to have several shops in an area working from the same plans each build a bent, or rafters, or sills, etc? Send a shipping container (driven by trucking volunteers?) to collect the pieces and haul it to a rail/port facility and have the "trial fit" be when the container is unpacked at the destination? Given that I'm all book knowledge I defer that question to those of you experienced enough to know.

As far as volunteering goes, I know a real nice guy with a bandmill (and I've got an Alaskan + Stihl 066), and there are still tons of nice white oaks down from Hurricane Isabel in my area of Virginia. I'd be willing to attend a South East guild event for building. What I lack in framing experience I make up for in web programming/database work and would be willing to help with organization and logistics needs.

This is probably the worst natural disasters in my lifetime and I'm ready to roll up my sleeves help those who can't help themselves.

Re: Tsunami #1245 01/30/05 04:31 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
The concept of providing structures for S Asian relief (houses or schools) still needs to identify a design with good seismic properties.
Has anyone found a source for shake proof structures made entirely of wood ?

Re: Tsunami #1246 01/31/05 05:37 PM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
Emmet,

I have gone back and tried to get a more recent update on the status, unfortunately, reliable info is difficult to obtain. It seems that from a political and public relations standpoint there has been an improvement in the forestry practices of this region, however, as Will indicated much of the trade continues illegal, undocumented and unchecked. Mitsubishi Corp. one of the largest Japanese timber importers seems to have embraced more stringent "corporate" policy in timber harvest/acquisition but this does little to remedy some of the wasteful practices and the insatiable appetite Japan has for timber products. Disposable chopsticks are one of the largest markets as is plywood for forming concrete. It seems in Japan plywood forms are used once and then disposed of rather than re-used as they are here in the states. There is some new info in the fact that China has now more than doubled it's import of lumber, sourced primarily from Indonesia. Long story short, the problem remains even though faces of those involved may be changing.

Re: Tsunami #1247 01/31/05 10:08 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Some years ago when I was in the building biz in SE Asia (among other things) 30' 12x12 mahogany timbers arrived in my materiel yard @ 30 cents a BF. They made great sills mounted on fieldstone and/or concrete just off the sand. Earthquakes and typhoons didn't phase em.
It would be nice to know that reforesting is indeed happening.

Re: Tsunami #1248 02/08/05 02:19 AM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Hi to all,

The discussion seems to have quieted down a bit and I wanted flesh out what I know about where this idea sands. Will truax is waiting to get CAD files back from the draftsman. When we have those in hand, we can approach a group of organixations with an eye toward partnering. We also need to pitch the concept to the BOD and ensure some guild oversight and assistance.
It is my belief that orchestrating the multiple rendezvous will be the easiest part. In my travels, I have encountered amazing interest in the idea. As someone who gets easily frustrated, I do see the effort moving forward.

Still having all the fun,
Bob

Re: Tsunami #1249 02/16/05 03:19 AM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Hi John,
Great ideas all ! Thought I should mention that Woodmizer has a program to donate used sawmills to Christian Missions and other Charitable orginizations. They have donated or discounted almost 500 mills worldwide so far.We should find out if there are any mills in the area allready, we could then send small groups of instructors and volunteers to those mill sites.Training locals how to construct their own simple structures using local material.Teaching timberframing is what we are best at.

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: Tsunami #1250 02/16/05 05:36 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Teaching and volunteering time and energy toward the tsunami region may well be the best help we could give to those people. However, there are some of us who are not able to travel(although at this time of the year I wish I could). I have family and farm animals who more or less depend on me to be here. This is why an idea like Will's appeals to me. I could actually take a bit of time when I'm able and cut some joins on spare timber to give to someone less fortunate. It wouldn't take too many shops to put together a frame...

Re: Tsunami #1251 02/23/05 03:13 AM
Will Truax Offline
I’m kinda giggling here because the timing (and I use this word because no other is quite this fitting ) is so serendipitous, in that I now have a distributable set of drawings in hand at a moment when the full body of the membership is made aware of this discussion by the most recent issue of Scantlings and this being post number fifty just adds to the sense of oddity which is part of what has made this whole experience so interesting.

Friend, neighbor and fellow member, Matt Steele is the first of many who have suggested they see reason to give time to whatever becomes of this, to have literally done so, He created a cadfile from what was not much more than the proverbial idea scratched on a napkin, tweaked it once and suggested he would be willing to do what the analysis and any input suggests need be…

Anyone who would like to view the file and an overview of how the frame is to be joined, or float an idea or point out the obvious or maybe the not so obvious is welcome and encouraged to e me and help come of this whatever it is to become.

Bump and bumping the best.

Re: Tsunami #1252 02/23/05 03:56 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Will,
Mayhap some insight on how our efforts would best serve a needing population and not get lost in the noise. Note (from the Nature Convservancy Newsletter) : Also, please join me for a free, live online chat, sponsored by The Nature Conservancy, on Thursday, February 24, 2005 at 4pm EST.
Yes they do it in the woods and under the water.
deralte

Re: Tsunami #1253 02/23/05 04:10 AM
Tom Cundiff Offline
I would be happy to spend some time looking at the file, or anything else to help.
Count me in. Tom

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: Tsunami #1254 02/23/05 05:31 PM
jim haslip Offline
I'm getting in late, but put my name into the mix also. Thanks...

Re: Tsunami #1255 02/25/05 03:57 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
To further confuse the issue check out the USAID list of participating organizations. Read the disclaimer carefully. Our potential 'partners' are buried in there somewhere as we mount our educational effort with fringe benefits.

http://www.usaid.gov/locations/asia_near_east/tsunami/ngolist.html

Re: Tsunami #1256 02/25/05 05:39 PM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
It is great to see the outpouring of support from within the Guild membership. I first read about it in Scantlings and have followed up on the thread, and i'm left wondering how best our abilities as timber framers can help those in need.

As I watch the news and look at the various websites of those working to provide relief, it is hard to ignore that buildings are overwhelmingly block and rebar. What would be an appropriate infil material for a timber structure there? Would american woods stand up to the climate and insects of south east asia in the small rural applications I think we have in mind? Would such a building be accepted by the local population?

I understand the desire to donate time and ability to things we believe are worthwhile and for which we are passionate, but having lived and worked in many developing nations, I have seen a great number of well intentioned projects fail for reasons that are difficult to comprehend let alone predict.

I believe that our best chance for helping and providing assistance to those in need as a result of the Tsunami would be through cash donations. It can be through the methods in which we choose to generate the money that we demonstrate and utilize our passion and abilities as timber framers.

Just like we do best at rendezvous and other guild functions, lets apply the 'Keep it super simple' (KISS) principle. What we can do right now on our own is create frames and educate others about the beuaty, strength and history of timber frames . We are not experts in international logistics, or asian building customs, or identifying areas of greatest need in disaster relief, so why get into that.

Let's strike while the iron is hot and make something tangible happen. The longer we draw this whole process out, the less interest will remain. Look at the pattern of subsiding entries on the thread as an example.

Talk of an international project is initially very exciting, but interest tends to dissipate as the number of logistical and practical challenges eventually lead a great number of otherwise interested folks to feel overwhelmed and hopeless. Showing interest in helping doesn't qualify as helping. Actions help.

Let's move towards actions that we can undertake within the scope of our knowledge and resources and see if we can't use these actions to provide meaningful assistance.

It is not my intention to disuade people from thinking big, jsut a fear that in doing so we will lose an opportunity to have done something timely.

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1257 02/27/05 02:51 AM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Steve,

A lot of what you say has been mentioned earlier in the thread. It is, I think, the general consensus that donating a product of our labor is more satisfying than sending cash. While we are not experts in the fields you mention, we are connected in the world to some who are. I think that one reason for the lessening traffic has been our anticipation of the plans that Will mentioned. It is extremely difficult to sell the idea of this project without a product to display. With these plans now ready for distribution and review, I think we'll see renewed energy and vigor on the thread. I have had the opportunity to share Will's design with someone who recently returned from Java. He feels that the frame would be well received and would make the recipient feel quite wealthy. The fact that the frame is seismically stable makes it more attractive, not less. It is still possible to build the walls with local techniques and materials, but since we won't be putting a large roof on poorly braced masonry walls, the building should last much longer.

As to sriking while the iron is hot, I think it will be hot for a long time to come. I think we should proceed with deliberation and forethought. We need to find the right partner, the right recipient, and the right design. When these are all identified, then we can really move forward. It is my belief that we will be able to field at least ten mini rendezvous around the country, producing at least ten frames. In addition to these mini rendezvous, people will be able to cut and send individual pieces for more frames. In the end, I would like to think that we could fill a container with frames.

Thinking big is not a problem. Recognizing that we are thinking big and planning appropriately is what we do. Look at Guelph, Sechelt, Russel-Colbath, Salem, and Angola. We do big well.

This is, of course, my two cents and may not represent the opinions of anyone else. That's OK because I am having all the fun.

Bob

Re: Tsunami #1258 02/27/05 03:27 AM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Bob,

Thanks for your response. I am all for going big if that is the direction that folks believe is right. I too apreciate the desire to send products of individual labor instead of faceless dollars. I will continue to follow the thread and stand willing to contribute in any way I can.

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1259 02/27/05 06:03 PM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
While I think that this effort is needed, and, indeed, Noble, one of the key elements in the design process is sorely lacking, that being a consultation with the client, a determination of need, and how best the design, and implementation, serves and fulfills the requirements of the recipients.

Things on the ground are a convoluted Mess, to say the least. The Tsunami has exaserbated existing problems many orders of magnitude, political, religious, and economic issues have been upended, upsatged, by Dire Humanitarian concerns, but, not eliminated.

Reading through this series of posts several questions come to mind;

1.) Who is the intended beneficiary of this project?
* How are they best served?
- Are these long-term, family unit structures, Long-term community structures, short-term relief shelters, shelters to serve NGO's on the ground, and other relief efforts.

2.) What are the cultural needs of the people in the affected areas?
* Will these buildings be accepted in the long term,
* Will they meet the basic needs of the Locals? Environmental, cultrual, logistical

3.) Is one model suited to all affected areas?

4.) What is the local level of craftsmanship?

5.) What organizations exist which could serve the function of a "Client", and, answer these and many more questions?

At this time it seems WE are the client, and the need is to "Do Something", anything, even if that effort does not culminate in a perfect fit for those displaced and damaged by this staggering Natural Disaster.

While the old saw "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions" may well fit here, I do believe that the desire to respond to another's suffering is one of the wonders of being Human, and of being alive.

To do something, anything, to begin, is not in question. The logistics of what to do, and where to start is. Just as a full compliment of Doctors arriving at a fully staffed Hospital that is in great need of supplies is an example of an effort gone wrong, is it worse than the callous disregard of need altoghether?

There will be accidents and mayhaps along the way, but, let us answer some of the basic questions first, such as identifying the question before arriving at the answer.

Re: Tsunami #1260 02/28/05 12:59 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
This may be something that someone has already thought of but ....has anyone thought to contact the government(s) directly? I would start by contacting the ambssador from the USA and ask him who to contact in the affected areas.

While we feel the best thing to do would be to build homes....maybe they would be more reseptive to bridges or docks...or even a memorial to the lost>

Bob

Re: Tsunami #1261 02/28/05 05:20 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
To save lots of wheel spinning the USAID is the government agency "incharge" of all US based relief effort.

Re: Tsunami #1262 02/28/05 11:39 AM
Will Truax Offline
Tim –

I am afraid I more than disagree, ”we” are not the client…

As much as I enjoy debate and the hashing out of ideas, it is not to anything or anyone’s benefit to endlessly discuss what this effort is to be or become in this medium. Yes it is the same medium that spawned the idea, but it is not one which is conducive to debate, the discussion is far too indirect and delayed to allow for efficient debate.

Cohesion is growing around an idea, and I see nothing wrong with allowing it to.

The idea is simply to choose a design for a small but permanent domicile of very light timber, one that can be quickly cut and easily raised, one joined as simply as possible. One which the recipients could be reasonably expected to replicate so they in turn might help their neighbors.

That there is a need for such a thing , a way to permanently house untold and nameless thousands in a way which is easily repeatable yet still reinforces some sense of human dignity and helps move people out of temporary camps and helps them help themselves and in turn helps restore their lives direction, is simply indisputable

Cohesion is growing around the multiple mini rendezvous model..

Cohesion is growing around an idea and nothing more…

A worthy NGO is the client, and they with their hard gleaned knowledge of the effected region/s and it/’s socio-political environment/s will determine if our idea is worthy of them

Your point # 5 is already part of the idea

The question was realized when homes fell down around peoples lives . It matters not if they were washed or fell away, they are still gone..

The answer is…ours to help find.

Re: Tsunami #1263 02/28/05 12:01 PM
Joe Miller Offline
My 2¢

I think once a defined need is determined, we should work on how to keep this activity under the auspices of the Guild; it needs to have some educational component.

With all of the public interest right now in helping out, offering localized workshops with individual structures being created would probably draw large crowds. Just think how many local groups you've seen over the last few months doing Tsunami benefits? There is a lot of local labor out there that would be more than willing. Just look at the amount of interest on this discussion board if you don't believe it. The cause may need cash the most right now, but we all have hubristic motives to some extent. Now, we can appease that desire by getting sweat on our brows, making something tangible, for people who really need shelter. Plus, we get to preach the word of Timber Framing.

However, defining the need should be paramount right now. And, why not Habitat for Humanity, once we have done our south-Asia work? There is always a local need too. Perhaps even more so now that local efforts are being directed overseas.

Re: Tsunami #1264 02/28/05 03:16 PM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
I was to indirect.

I learned that a Good Builder, builds to suit the client. They hold the answers, we draw from them dreams, needs and add knowledge and expertise, Budget, and real world practicalities modify all, from this a design is born which is, ultimately, a compromise, yet one which seeks to the Best such possible.

Focus.

The areas hit are Huge, comprise Many nations, religions and regions. Some areas will be almost impossible to reach, others will have no need, what-so-ever, of what is offered.

There are billions of dollars being spent on this relief effort, countless organizations involved, many of which target key aspects, and for which, this Disaster is but one of many missions.

This thread echos with aspects of the program, Habitat for Humanity. For all that it's critics berat it (and I have been one, at times), Habitat for Humanity is a good example of a program which has survived the years, served a niche, and done so in a semi-independent state.

I, as so many of us did, entered Timber Framing not as a profession, But to do something, for myself, and a Loved one, and, as a great many of my peers, I fell into a quasi career. For the first time, in a long, long while, I can see my field providing something invaluable. Something practical, and something needed.

We are a small effort, should even the full weight of our numbers be felt. There is not yet one post which examines the practical aspects of designing a structure for Indonesia. Not One voice which picks up where Ken Rowe left off, with a marker towards where we need to go for answers.

How can debate be ended, when no answers have been sought?

My Desire is not to make people, here, at home feel good about themselves, and their efforts. No backslapping and fine feelings of a job well done, as dozens of frames, finished and packaged; languish, unused, unnoticed, awaiting transport to some uncertain destination, where they may, or may not fulfill a need.

With the right beginning, why could this not become a rival to Habitat for Humanity? In the true sense of the word?

The need will remain for years, and, elsewhere, the need exists NOW, and will never depart. Let this be the beginning of something great, which stretches into the far flung future.

Re: Tsunami #1265 02/28/05 04:22 PM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
Will is correct in some sense, there needs to be a next step. So far the interest has been expressed, and it is overwhelming.

There has been a Rough, and raw, evaluation of the objective, and this has not varied since the second post of this thread.

It is time for that next step, a group of like-minded individuals, for whom time is of the essence. I would say the issue is a refinement of the original design specs,

Beyond that, I would agree with Will, and the many others here, that Action follows, One must capitalize on the feelings flowing through the body, Now.

Whether this is under the "Auspices" of the guild, or is a wholly independent movement, may be discovered in time. It certainly need not be Guild run, as is amply shown here.

Success will bred success, and Action, action.
The research NEEDED may not be extensive, and the intial objective need not be overwhelming, or over reaching.

I agree that simplicity is best, certainly at the beginning.
So,

lets get started, shall we?

Re: Tsunami #1266 02/28/05 08:23 PM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Hello Everyone,

A thought occurs to me as I look back over the tread. The majority of participants live either in Virginia(Emmett, Bob Smith, Chris S., and Crabtree) or New Hampshire(Will, Timberbe, Joe, Bob Spoerl) with several more of us near New Hampshire(Myself in Maine, Ken Rower in Vermont, and Laura in Boston). Does anyone else think it would be beneficial for regional meetin gor two, possible even coordinated to allow for a phone conference with the other.

I believe that at heart we are all thinking along similar lines, though I agree with others that we are hampered in terms of effective communication by the limits of this message board. I would certainly be willing and able to meet somewhere in New Hampshire in the coming few weeks. I will also be travelling to Virginia for the Ferry Farm event, so would love to discuss possibilities with any of you there. What are people feeling about such an idea? Interested - not interested?

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1267 03/01/05 01:15 AM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
Very Interested.
Will, Matt Steel, Kyle Whitehead, Glenn Dodge, and I; all live, and work, closely together as well. I believe Will has brought us all into this, I don't speak for the afore mentioned group, by any means, but the enthusiasm, and the Desire to do Something, is unmistakeable.

Please Count me in.

Re: Tsunami #1268 03/01/05 07:31 AM
jim haslip Offline
Hey Guys,
I've read pretty much this whole thread and there is some good stuff in here.
The history of Architecture as I am familiar with it is include a basic principle that the best building materials are those found locally.
There is no doubt in my mind (no size jokes,Joel)that what we do best is build things out of wood. And, yes, the residents across the way need housing and other facilities built for them. However, the need also has a "cash" requirement as well. So might I make a suggestion that will meet both of these criteria.
Perhaps we could find things or projects which we could build from wood , then arrange for them to be donated for sale or auction and the proceeds submitted to an Aid supplier.
We get to do what we like best (build things), the effort gets cash to build housing, etc with the cash our efforts raised.
Eventually our efforts might proceed to the point where we build or supply housing to the cause, but wouldn't it be a start?
Maybe our efforts could include Timber Framing workshops where the participants are instructed in the Art of Timber Framing by laying out and cutting picnic table bases or Playhouses that the Red Cross receives and sells? Or Framing Horses?
The wood could be requested from our local suppliers as their contribution. How little wood would it take out of a 3,000 Board Foot Project to build a little something? Who doesn't have waste wood on most projects?

Re: Tsunami #1269 03/03/05 12:53 AM
Joel McCarty Offline
Forum contributors!

The TFG Board has asked me to report out their interest in this thread to you, and to ask if some of you would be willing to take on the research needed to discover if there is a confluence of their needs and our abilities. Specifically we thought that Emmett Greenleaf and Will Truax would do well to investigate the topic - starting with this link http://www.usaid.gov/locations/asia_near_east/tsunami/ngolist.html

What do you think?

-Joel McCarty

Re: Tsunami #1270 03/03/05 01:42 AM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Joel, in response to your post, I'm all for it. I have heard from Emmett regarding meeting up in Virginia and plan to talk with him about the Tsunami effort during the Ferry Farm project. If others are interested who will be in attendance or are near to the site, I am sure we could nail down a date and time. I am also interested in the possibility of a gathering with some involved in this thread here in new Enland. I know that a number of those expressing interest are near you there in SW NH. Anyone interested in setting a meeting time and place to help move ideas forward. My schedule is fairly open at present and I could certainly put time towards the effort. Thanks for the boards interest.

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1271 03/03/05 02:03 AM
Will Truax Offline
Joel

Will do.

Steve

Would love to set up a meet

Re: Tsunami #1272 03/03/05 02:19 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
In reply to Jim Haslip's post I would have to say that the idea of building something to auction off or sell in N.A. is growing on me... Either that or sending the proverbial bandsaw mill and some itinerant framers to the scene now strike me as the best help.... If someone was able to travel to the scene, perhaps Will's plan could be used?
If something is built for auction, I would still say stay small but a building would be a good idea(something like a cottage bunkie?)

Re: Tsunami #1273 03/03/05 02:31 AM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Will

Am I correct in thinking that there are others from this thread that are near you there. I am in Maine about a half hour beyond North Conway so probably 2 hours or so from you. Name a time (other than next tuesday)when you and any others are free and I will be there. Thanks for all that you have contributed to this effort so far. I am looking forward to seeing some of your pans and talking about next steps.

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1274 03/03/05 03:05 AM
T
timw Offline
T
Im sure this has been thought of already, but In such a grief stricken area, where ones faith must offer a great deal of comfort,some beautiful timber frame places for prayer, et al. Might help strenthen some spirits. I don know what its like there, but it must be grim. Great stuff ya'll are doing.

Re: Tsunami #1275 03/03/05 01:32 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
To raise money to send to at target relief organization, we could build a small timber frame building. Sell this building at a public auction being held at the eastern conference in Burlington VT this fall.
Timber framers who are interested in helping could cut one or two pieces of the frame and bring them to the conference.
Then with TV coverage, newspaper coverage and open to the public, assemble the frame outside in the parking lot near the spot where the crane was at the last conference held at this site.
Then after it's assembled auction it off, we'll have an auctioneer there on site for the guild event anyhow.
This would help with exposure of the guild to the public and open up the selling of this frame to the public and hopefully raise more money.
I have two designs we use here at my workshops. One is a 14'x 16' two story shed/cabin/barn and the other is a 12'x 16' shed. The big one has 56 pieces of wood in the frame not including pegs. And the little one has around 46, not including pegs. We can also sell pegs, as is done to help raise money.
Companies or interested parties could receive a drawing of their part via email and cut it out to the specs of the drawing.
This cutting of parts by different people was done years ago by the guild, in building a home for habitat for humanity.
Doing it this way, each shop could do what they like to do, cut frame parts, and help the overall project.
Other designs could be summited and considered by a committee and get the ball rolling for completion at the fall conference.
This could also be done regionally. One in the southeast, one on the west-coast, and other areas where there are centers of timber framing.
These are just some of my ideas about how to do something to raise money, help them, and get some exposure for the guild and timber framing.
I'd be happy to help any way I can.
Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers Timber Designs
Jim Rogers Sawmill
Georgetown, MA

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Tsunami #1276 03/04/05 01:07 AM
M
milton Offline
M
Hi All:
Lots going on here.
Do the folks on the ground have enough hand tools, lashing line, shovels to make a dry place to sleep? Can we help tool up?
I may have missed this discussion in my quick read.
go for it!
Curtis

Re: Tsunami #1277 03/04/05 03:36 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Has anyone done any of the research suggested by Joel McC.? If so who was contacted and what have you found?

Re: Tsunami #1278 03/04/05 06:53 PM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
I have been doing a little research and have been in touch with a local outreach group that has recently returned from the region. Their mission was to pass out food, clothing and some medical supplies as well as identify needs. I am going to meet with them and discuss some of the needs and opportunities that they became aware of. They will be travelling again in three separate groups to the three primary regoins affected in the next couple weeks. I will post the results of my discussion.

Re: Tsunami #1279 03/05/05 12:12 PM
Will Truax Offline
John

I’m not sure I saw “research” as a green light to contact potential partners in the Guilds name. And had I, I would be reluctant to do so at the level of preparation we currently stand at. The vision is not yet clear and It does not seem reasonable or prudent to approach the very short list of potential partners at a point in time when they have never been so busy, with little more than an idea which has not even been agreed upon let alone quantified. The lack of preparation would see the contact dismissed out of hand.

Present an idea fully fleshed out, with materials prepared to help describe it, and units to be donated predictable in large degree, and I have no doubt such an offer would be considered and accepted.

In the interest of working to let this thing gel –

We quantify five lists

Those of us willing to coordinate efforts
Those of us willing to host multiple mini’s
Those of us willing to attend multi mini’s
Those of us willing to donate individual sticks
Those of us willing to go with these materials to the region

If we can show that we hold the potential to replace the housing for an entire small village, say 20 – 30 units…

And maybe throw a little Madison Avenue spice on it by describing it as
It takes a community to build a village

Then we have something to give.

Re: Tsunami #1280 03/05/05 05:56 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Will

You make a good point but my question comes from years of residential design work. One of the most important things I have learned is to not progress too far with any concept (or plans) without periodically checking with the client to see if your ideas (good as they may be) fit their needs.
My reason then for inquiry about research is not to suggest presenting a plan or project as a complete and ready package but to find a source on the receiving end to advise us about specific information that may affect the design of the frame and or how the project is put together.
I see no reason why this sort of inquiry could not be done concurrent with the planning and organization on this side that you suggest. The question presented would be simply, “what do you need?”
I think your point about mentioning that we have the capability to provide 20-30 units or a village worth’s of homes is something that can be communicated without having a fleshed out plan for exactly how we are going to do it.
As for contacting anybody in the guilds name, that is one thing that I am not sure we have a green light on that at all. The only communication with the guild on this forum
that I am aware of is Will B’s statement that this does not fit with the guilds mission and Joel’s posting with the link and mention of the boards interest. Neither one of these constitutes a “green light”. Has anyone had some communication to the contrary?

I do want to acknowledge that you seem to have done the most real work towards making this thing happen and I believe it will come to fruition. Thank you

Re: Tsunami #1281 03/06/05 04:09 AM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
John;
Though Joel has asked, here in this thread, that Emmet and Will proceed with some research, there is nothing at all preventing you, or, indeed, any of us from doing so. I find myself in a position which reflects your own; This is a client to whom I have not spoken, and thus, cannot truly, nor, adequately proceed. Education should not diminish any of us.

I agree that there is no reason, whatsoever, to delay in the Organization, and developing, the infrastructure needed to carry through with this. The Design will come, and be finalized, as We Garner a Patron Organization. As with J.K. Rowling, and her First Harry Potter manuscript, we may need to approach a great many Relief Agencies before finding one which will back us. But, does anyone doubt this thing will happen?

Re: Tsunami #1282 03/06/05 01:11 PM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Wow!

There has certainly been a lot of traffic here since last I visited. I'm really glad to see some new names and interest in this idea. The broader the group of ideas and participants, the better chance of getting something real done.

I think as some have pointed out that delivering a product suited to the clients' need is paramount. I think, though, that as others have mentioned, that the affected area is vast. I have seen the design and have talked with people who have been in the affected area, and it is my belief that the frame as designed will find a receptive client. Think of the success of the "100 Best Home Plans" magazines.

With a little more work, we can put together a proposal, much as Will has outlined. With this proposal in hand, we would then shop it to aid groups that might help deliver it to the appropriate area. We have a product. They have knowledge of the area. They can identify the right location - with all that entails. Again, given that the area of need is so large, is there any doubt that someone, somewhere will appreciate both our efforts and our product. I understand the argument that in custom residential building, client contact is of incredible importance. This venture is a little different. There is no specific client, there is a product. By partnering with the appropriate aid agency, we will find a client for our product. I should mention too, that I strongly agree that our product includes the sharing of our knowledge and skills. The educational components of our offorts should be lcal to both us and the receiving clients' communities.

I have looked at the USAID link provided by Emmett earlier. In going through the mission statements of the linked groups, I found nine organizations that I both thought might be interested in our product and whose stated goals did not conflict with my own. If others were to do the same, we could cross reference our lists and perhaps use that as basis of initial contact.

The concept of building a frame and auctioning it off has been discussed before. While I would not want it to be the whole model of our effort, Jim's last post makes some good points and I could see the sense in displaying and auctioning a frame.

As for participation, I am about to leave the country for several months. Depending on schedules as they develop, I would gladly host a mini-rendezvous. Should that not prove feasible, I am ready to help coordinate efforts in any way possible. I do think that, for now, working under the guild umbrella is a good idea. With work and luck, this effort might eventually live on it's own. The long term need, both internationally and domestically is there. We'll see.

Re: Tsunami #1283 03/06/05 04:07 PM
Will B Offline
Hiya,
Great to see the continued enthusiasm for this idea.
I am writing as member, not staff here. Joel and I will do anything the Board of Directors directs us to. If the frame appears at the parking lot in Burlington and is auctioned off without the funds going through the Guild accounts and sent to SE Asia, then I'd guess the Board would support it as a grassroots effort. Without an educational component it may not be appropriate to use Guild resources (time, money).
I have a friend here who is an architect and has taught in Malaysia for many years. He knows the area well and I asked him to comment on the various initiatives proposed here. Here's what he recommends:
Sending skills is more important than buildings. Avoid the bureaucracy of USAID and send someone directly to an affected village (pick one), meet with the elders and see what they need. Come back and then mobilize the tropps. The effort expended to build something here equals the cost of one person's plane ticket and expenses for an exploratory trip.
Avoid Indonesia (Sumatra). Graft, corruption, guerrilla movements and poverty are rampant, and only the largest organizations can cope with that. Concentrate instead on places like Phuket (where English is widely spoken), India or Sri Lanka.
Sending frame(s) is the least appropriate option, in my opinion. The termites would devour non-native species. Chengal is a SE Asia native wood that is extremely rot and termite resistant, plentiful and available for framing. Finally, I am frankly surprised that such an environmentally aware group as y'all would prefer using oil to transport heavy frames halfway around the world to using native materials. I haven't seen Will T's design (but would like to - can you send me a copy?), but I hope it would pass muster as socially an architecturally appropriate. At MIT there is the Agha Khan Center for Architecture (I'm not sure of the name) with world renowned staff that know the answer to that.
Auctioning something here and sending money seems the most appropriate, since many of us would not be able to go to Asia. This is what we (the TFG) did after 9/11. The wakaf is a simple yet elegant roadside structure found throughout Muslim SE Asia. Wakaf is an Islamic concept founded on the principle of charitable giving. It can be anything from cash to an office building given for the well-being of others. In Malaysia it is a small open tiered hipped roof pavilion often given to the general public by an individual as a place for rest, prayer, refuge from inclement weather, and the like. It is often stocked with water and refreshment for the traveler.
Here's a concept: bring over a few SE Asian carpenters to teach us the framing techniques they use (the educational component - I have pictures of wakafs and they're timber framed). Build a few wakafs (once we're taught how to) in different regions and auction them off, sending the money to the SE Asia relief. Or, donate the wakafs to mosques in the US as a symbol of all that US/Muslims relationships should be. Or both. We would build a timber frame indigenous to the Muslim culture of SE Asia at the same time sensitizing people here to much more than just the tsunami disaster.

Re: Tsunami #1284 03/06/05 04:12 PM
Will B Offline
Aga Khan Center for Islamic Architecture is at http://web.mit.edu/akpia/www/AKPsite/.

And troops, not tropps.

Re: Tsunami #1285 03/06/05 06:58 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
As part of my research for an appropriate partner I have today sent an email to a friend of some 35 years who spends 3 months (Dec - Feb) each year on the east coast of southern Thailand opposite Phu Ket (80-100km away). This past Dec she arrived on 23/24 Dec and was in the thick of initial relief activities. Her contacts in that region should prove valuable for current information. She is a professor in a Korean University from March - November each year. She is not famous for responding promptly so an answer may be delayed.

Re: Tsunami #1286 03/06/05 11:31 PM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Will - Thanks for your post. For those of us who are not familiar, would you mind posting a brief overview of the post 9/11 build/auction? Is there a past write up in any of the scantlings or any wheree else in Guild documents ? Thanks.

Steve

Re: Tsunami #1287 03/07/05 07:21 PM
Will B Offline
Steve,
After 9/11, at the Canaan Valley Conference, we took up a collection for the NYC Firemen's Widows and Orphans Fund. I can't remember clearly now if there was an auction item associated with it. We raised $1300 and sent it. This is a rare instance where auction funds and time were earmarked for purposes other than Guiold activities. See December 2001 Scantlings.

Re: Tsunami #1288 03/08/05 04:23 AM
Joel McCarty Offline
I can add very little to Will's advice; he seems right on target. I worry about cultural imperialism in these discussions; doing what we know and enjoy without much regard for or understanding of the destination and recipient.

Will's solution seems rational enough; send someone who knows what we can do to find out what is needed. If we're itching to be building something, auction that thing off to finance the expedition.

I think the Guild has much to offer to, and as much to learn from, folks in these parts of the world with housing needs and timber nearby. Further, the Guild network is now wide enough so that one of us already knows the person or the institution we need to connect with.

Don't start building yet; it's still time to talk.

Re: Tsunami #1289 03/09/05 01:46 AM
Joel McCarty Offline

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users