Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: crabtreecreek] #12099 07/06/07 01:26 AM
P
Pegs 1 Offline
P
I think we better delete this thread before anyone finds out we don't have a clue what we are doing LOL

Mike and Karl
Timber Frame Builders, LLC
Up North Minnesota
http://www.timberframe.bz
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: Pegs 1] #12106 07/06/07 01:01 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
ha ha ha ha ha..... thump
(me laughing my head off)

Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: crabtreecreek] #12107 07/06/07 01:33 PM
daiku Offline
Timber Framing Journal #71 (March 2004) has an article dedicated to historic queen post trusses. Here's a drawing from that article:

And the introductory paragraph:

Quote:

A Queenpost Truss typically comprises two posts spread apart by a straining beam joined near their heads and supporting a tie beam (bottom chord) at their feet, and substantially braced by members rising from the outer ends of the tie beam to the heads of the queenposts. These main braces and the straining beam form the top chord of the truss. In service, the queenposts are in axial tension, although they are also compressed transversely between rafter and straining beam at their heads. The straining beam and main braces are in compression. The tie beam is in tension but, because of it's length and any loads imposed upon it, it is also subject to bending. It's common for the queenposts to have top tenons carrying principal purlins or principal rafters in the plane of the roof, but these members are part of the load on the truss rather than essential to its operation.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: ] #12117 07/07/07 02:24 AM
P
Pegs 1 Offline
P
Now thats an idea. I think I made up one a while back we really like to use.

I say I think I did just in case I didn't...."Man I love getting old"...

Anyway. We call the point at which the vertical wall becomes a diagonal roof pitch the "control point". We like it. nice friendly little name but everyone in the shop knows what it means.

If we accidentally hijacked this thread just delete us LOL
Sounds great in general conversation too.

And its a lot short than "the spot where the vertical wall becomes a roof pitch diagonal line. LOL

If I hijacked this thread just delete me. I won't remember next week anyway.

Mike and Karl
Timber Frame Builders, LLC
Up North Minnesota
http://www.timberframe.bz
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: Pegs 1] #12120 07/07/07 03:29 AM
D
Don P Offline
D
Where would you stop calling them princeposts, or would you?

Thanks for the post and photo Clark.

Last edited by Don P; 07/07/07 03:32 AM.
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: crabtreecreek] #12124 07/07/07 11:03 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/bauko/downloads/bauko_geneigte%20daecher.pdf

Check out the drawing on page twelve. Would that not be considered a type of queen post construction? If yes, then those queens are clearly under tension. So to simply say king equals tension and queen equals compression would not be correct.
I am not sure why it matters so much what the posts are called anyway. As long as the structure can support itself....

Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: Pegs 1] #12126 07/07/07 01:01 PM
daiku Offline
Originally Posted By: Pegs 1
Now thats an idea. I think I made up one a while back we really like to use.

I say I think I did just in case I didn't...."Man I love getting old"...

Anyway. We call the point at which the vertical wall becomes a diagonal roof pitch the "control point". We like it. nice friendly little name but everyone in the shop knows what it means.

If we accidentally hijacked this thread just delete us LOL
Sounds great in general conversation too.

And its a lot short than "the spot where the vertical wall becomes a roof pitch diagonal line. LOL

If I hijacked this thread just delete me. I won't remember next week anyway.

That is a critical point. In our shop, we call that the 'eave line'. Probably not technically correct either. Anyone else? CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: daiku] #12130 07/07/07 04:35 PM
D
Don P Offline
D
"That corner, no, there."

That looks like good reading too EH. Anyone know if theres a way to get my computer to translate a pdf?

The straining beam is the key to whether the queenposts are in tension or compression. I've just seen both, in the same book, called a queenpost truss. It seems to me the main thing is whether the queen is holding her skirts up or sitting on her bottom. Is the bottom chord sized for bending without the straining beam or just a tension element with it.

I tend to point and call all the internal parts "webs". I've seen "rods & braces" used, that seemed pretty good, describing tension or compression.

Last edited by Don P; 07/07/07 04:42 PM.
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: Don P] #12132 07/07/07 09:23 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
If you can high lite and copy the text, I can give you a site where you can paste it in and get somewhat of a translation....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Of Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses [Re: Jim Rogers] #12134 07/07/07 09:30 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
I could have sworn I made two post a while back in this thread listing two books I reviewed for definitions of prince post and princess post....
They seem to be missing....
Did anyone else see them or am I just dreaming.?...again....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users