Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: Lignator] #11923 06/20/07 09:04 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Are you saying there is money in timber framing???

lignator, would love to see some of your work or if you would consider scaning one of the drawings you received, would love to see that also.
I appreciate your taking the time to write. keep chasing those lines.

Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: Mark Davidson] #11924 06/20/07 09:18 PM
L
Lignator Offline OP
OP Offline
L
There's money in it where I am right now, but it took nearly 30 yrs to get there!

Boats: forget 'em. Money-sinks for rich men and dreamers: some of whom don't or can't pay when it counts. Boats are luxury, houses are necessity: it devolves to how much you get paid, how and when.

Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: ] #11926 06/20/07 10:08 PM
L
Lignator Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Yes Derek, I knew you knew that! Same the world over...

Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: ] #11938 06/22/07 01:49 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I thought I would put up a copy of the snapline joinery plan that we use in the classes here at whippletree, so those who don't use snaplines can get some idea... would still like to see something from the lignator.

Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: Mark Davidson] #11944 06/22/07 07:12 PM
L
Lignator Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for that Mark: looking at it , it's quite different, but quite the same-ish, to the way I would (sui generis) work out a triangle/frame or whatever myself. I would be calculating clean(ie easily identifiable right- angled triangles) triangles from the centre-lines themselves, establishing angles/parallel lines from them, then offsetting to the edge (or from 90 deg triangle), edge + angle offset if req. I call the intersections the "nodes" : they are there on your drawing, but the calcs aren't.
Does that mean your students calculate the angles from the drawing, or from the dimensions?
As I'm unfamiliar now with our "Imperial" measurements for calculation these days, because I only use metric for that,(but I was raised on the other scheme)the dims on the drawing, look, to me, much more complicated than they shd be!
Maybe it's Friday and we are all letting our hair (sic) down!

Re: some details of my work (ref to sites quoting my work): I tried to pm you but it didn't work obviously. I'm too lazy to find out how to scan stuff into the web (too much woodworking to learn!) so I'll have another go. Best regards L.

PS I am not "the" lignator: you are all lignators!! And I don't pretend to be an expert in anything!

Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: ] #11952 06/24/07 12:44 AM
L
Lignator Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Sideline: I renovated my Jap hammer today, ie the shaft. After 10 yrs hard work it had split. I epoxied it back together and built up the top of the shaft (oak) with West epoxy + colloidal silica.

Then I beeswaxed it, after sanding it lightly.

I'm putting my hand back on Shoji's hammer again. I have another, mallet, given to me by a joiner who was on the minesweepers in WW2 in the North Atlantic. Gone now, Dennis...
great joiner.

Connections........

Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: ] #12008 06/28/07 01:09 AM
P
Pegs 1 Offline
P
We use a tape measure......no really we do...; 0

Mike and Karl
Timber Frame Builders, LLC
Up North Minnesota
http://www.timberframe.bz
Re: methods of setting-out, from Asian [Re: Lignator] #12075 07/04/07 03:11 AM
T
toivo Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Lignator
Sideline: I renovated my Jap hammer today, ie the shaft. After 10 yrs hard work it had split. I epoxied it back together and built up the top of the shaft (oak) with West epoxy + colloidal silica.

Then I beeswaxed it, after sanding it lightly.

I'm putting my hand back on Shoji's hammer again. I have another, mallet, given to me by a joiner who was on the minesweepers in WW2 in the North Atlantic. Gone now, Dennis...
great joiner.

Connections........

oh yeah. a really nice broadaxe handle (grandfather's) started to split, and i was wondering what to do with it. that's it.

the advantage to boatbuilding is nothing has to be straight except the keel and a plumb stem. bend a batten to a pretty shape and take it from there.

a bit of math in the morning is good exercise for the mind though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users