Print Thread
Rate Thread
Building a wall like a roof? #12012 06/28/07 05:55 AM
B
Brock Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello all,

That was a good post regarding rigid insulation on a roof. I'm interested in the same concept on a wall for the same reasons that Dave outlined - cost, ease of install, no crane. I would be interested to hear any feedback.

I was thinking about an assembly (working from the inside out) that would see the timberwork clad in 2X material, VB (if required in this particular buildup), polyiso sheet goods taped and foamed, sheathing (screwed through to the 2" material), and housewrap. Voila - just like a panel...

I was wondering if this assembly could be built like a panel, with a similar window and door construction (eg. to remove the foam from the perimeter of the RO, insert lumber and fasten).

I thought the 2X material could be beneficial for a few reasons. Mill a few stacks of 2x8s, machine a rabbetted or t&G edge, spray it before you install it and it becomes the finished interior. One could affix drywall to this as well. Also, no shortage of backing...

Any thoughts?

Brock Smith

Re: Building a wall like a roof? [Re: ] #12116 07/06/07 09:14 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Brock,

I'd go for it. Is simple enough to do and like you said needs no crane. Please to me a favor though. When you install VB make sur eto install it before the 2x and everything else goes up, cause that is where it belongs.
I am currently working on a house that was lets just say put together without care and conscience about any building standard. It is also a very poor TF immitation if that. Everything butted and bolted or nailed. Not M&T's anywhere. VB wrapped behind the drywall and out over the 2x cladding and back to the drywall....Fiberglass insulation with the paper facing out. No sheathing or Wrap and board and batten siding. Ah yes, the windows and doors are installed on top of the siding with caulking to seal it. This would be a great example for the building industry of HOW NOT TO DO IT. Of course everything is wet and moldy. The house was leaking like a siff....Well I will be spending some time there removing everything and do a proper installation.
Brock, you see my concern. Get the detailing right and you will enjoy the structure for quite some time.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users