Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grailcoat beware! #12487 08/06/07 05:22 PM
A
aswile Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This is not a question but a warning... beware of Grailcoat elastomeric stucco product for your SIPs. The product was touted as being perfect for SIPs because of their stable substrate. You apply it directly over the panel. It is supposed to act as a barrier to water but yet breath to allow any wet areas to dry. I know that sounds silly now, but it sounded like a great idea when I researched it in 2003. All of the problems documented on the web seemed to come up after that time period. I notified the company of cracks running up the side of my house and a rotting area in the center of one of my panels that has no penetrations, flashing, etc. There rotten area is a single panel with no seam. The company looked at my pictures and determined that the cracks are a result of "substrate movment" (of which the VP/COO told me initially that he didn't see how a SIP could move and cause a crack)and the rotten area must be a crack or thinly applied product. He will not send anyone to look at it and considers the claim resolved. There used to be a panel company testimonial on their web site however it has since been taken down. I encourage everyone to avoid this product and let any you know with it currently on their house to watch for signs of delamination/rot and cracking. Hopefully this will not bankrupt my family- I have been very foolish and now pay the price. If anyone has experience with a similar issue I would appreciate any help regarding residing with vinyl/hardi, etc. We have overcome so much building this home over the last three years- we fired the contractor and had to construct every aspect of the home ourselves including plumbing, radiant, electric, etc. I guess this is just one more mistake made. Thanks for allowing the rant!

Last edited by aswile; 08/06/07 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Re: Grailcoat beware! [Re: aswile] #12488 08/06/07 05:28 PM
daiku Offline
Thanks for the heads-up. This is the kind of situation where the internet can really empower consumers - by quickly spreading the word about faulty products and shady contractors. And I'm very sorry to hear about your problems -- I hope you are able to resolved them. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users