Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lateral Analysis of TF #12883 09/20/07 01:07 PM
T
Tim H Offline OP
OP Offline
T
When you are designing a TF that will not have SIP or stick built walls for lateral support, such as an exterior wall with lots of windows, to what extent do you analyze the frame stiffness? Only a few FE programs actually allow you specify semi-rigid connections. And to that extent, I know we have some data on the rigidity of TF connections, but how accurate is it? I would just like the thought of some others on this topic. Thanks.

Re: Lateral Analysis of TF [Re: Tim H] #12886 09/20/07 05:08 PM
brad_bb Offline
I just noticed in the online store for the timber framers guild(this website) a publication for sale for $5 called wood Focus. It says it had two articles about lateral force analysis. Go to the online store and see if you think it might help address your questions.

Re: Lateral Analysis of TF [Re: brad_bb] #12898 09/22/07 11:44 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Tim,

The members only area of the TFG website contains the results of research work done on this topic and this can be freely downloaded by members.

Work has been done at various Universities to try and establish the behaviour of joints (Bath & Southampton, England, Strathclyde, Scotland and Laramie, Wyoming, USA) but even these research results will be subject to their use limitations.

I do not know which programme you are using but I am sure that this will allow you to at least establish two extreme cases i.e. employing all moment connections (fixed) and pin connections (free to rotate). A solution which might more closely reflect the real life situation might logically and probably therefore lie somewhere between these two extremes and applying some reasoned judgement for key joints will allow you to get closer to an optimum understanding of your frame behavioir as permitted by your programme.

I will now be rather controversial and state that in general detail joint design is not really required when a frame is properly designed and conforms to well established practice. If the performance of an individual joint becomes so critical to the performance of the frame then the frame design must be suspect. Check your frame by sytematically removing timbers one at a time to establish the effect of the loss of that timber. If this provides extreme results which seem to point towards frame failure or disproportionate collapse then you probably need to think about the overall design again. When you have optimised the frame design only then look more closley at joint performance.

Where walls are largely comprised of plate glass or windows in frames then deflection and deformation is likely to be important since large movements might potentially overload a window pane and cause a fracture if too much movement is permitted.

Timber frame design can be a bit judgemental and is largely based on the experience, knowledge and understanding of the frame designer and of course most importantly historic precedent. I don't believe that this subject can be taught in a week or even in a year since the peripheral knowledge required to be absorbed in order to able to make reasoned judgements is largely experience based and gaining experience is itself somewhat opportunistic i.e. It takes time.

Regards

Ken Hume P.Eng.

Looking back to see the way ahead !

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users