Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9555 03/01/07 01:35 PM
R
Ron Mansour Offline
R
Raphael, are you still going to proceed with those plans for a cart and wrench?

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9556 03/02/07 07:06 AM
S
Scott McClure Offline
S
Raphael, Nice wheels! How much per?

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9557 03/02/07 02:26 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline OP
OP Offline
Ron- I definately intend to pursue this, but haven't recieved any responce to the last message I left.

I do have to make a run over to Layman's (our local welding and steel fabricators) at the end of this month to get a set of post brackets made up. If I haven't heard anything definitive from LogRite at that point I'll run idea past the Laymans and at least get an estimate on cart cost and have them make me a couple of wrenches. I'm hoping they are able to recommend a reasonably priced powder coating outfit.

Scott- I've been kicking myself for not getting a price on those when I had Kevin face to face. :rolleyes:
I just sent another message and asked about that as well (This time I bypassed Kevin and sent it to his wife). I'm not sure of the details of their deal with Future Forestry (the website www.futureforestry.com hasn't been updated). Since you are in OR. you may be able to contact the fellow who started the business. Mark Havel is his name, from what I've heard he's "a heck of a nice guy".
If it still works their toll free number is: 888 258 1445. The local number (in Willamina) is: 503 876 4488

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9558 03/05/07 05:21 AM
T
timber brained Offline
T
Hello Raphael. I noticed that you haved acquired a product of future forestry. I was wondering if you had any feedback on their products as I have been meditating on purchasing an arch or two with the intent of using it for logging and also the subsequent timber framing??. Any insight would be very helpful as they are quite the investment. tb

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench #9559 03/05/07 06:12 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline OP
OP Offline
That picture is actually from their website... The Gateway arch is one I have been coveting but haven't had the cash to invest in.

I did get a chance to play their new Mark 7 briefly... I had it for a week but we got hammered with snow the day after I picked it up. :rolleyes:

The Mark 7 has tongs that can be positioned in a low or high position for small or large logs (up to 25" diameter), can be equipped with a tow hitch or a long T handle for manual work. I was quite impressed with it's performance, using the T handle I was able to pick up and manuever (up hill) a ~1250# log single handedly.

The arches are now being produced by LogRite (makers of the worlds best peavies and cant hooks) so the Mark 7 is wearing LogRite blue. I've seen the entire line of arches there and can attest to their solidity and construction quality.

LogRite also has a decent line of timber framing hammers, which is why I thought a timber cart and timber wrench would make a good addition to their tool lineup.

I have a gallery of Mark 7 arch pictures on the Foresty Forum, otherwise it's so new it doesn't appear on the websites yet:
http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1277

I think for a timber framer the junior arch in combination with one of the larger models (which one depends on your existing equipment, tractor, atv, winch etc.) would be the hot setup. They have a DVD available that goes over the entire Future Forestry line in detail.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench [Re: Raphael D. Swift] #13064 10/15/07 02:17 PM
brad_bb Offline
So I am now looking for a timber cart and I remembered this old post. It doesn't look like there is one readily available in the US for purchase?
Rafael, how far have you gotten in making any? You are right, $500 does seem a little steep for guys who are always looking for the most frugal way... Maybe a better alternative is to come up with a free set of plans? In looking for cheap alternatives for building one, I'm thinking about using baby spare car tires. I've got a number of them that I use in my shop for rolling cars around durning restoration. You can pick them up relatively cheap in the bone yard, but I'm not sure how much load they can take. I'd have to fabricate a hub/axle from a car spindle....

Re: Timber Cart & Wrench [Re: brad_bb] #13066 10/15/07 04:32 PM
K
kfhines Offline
K
I built one using the drag axle from a small foreign car. chopped two feet out of the axle and welded it back together. Then added two 2x6's parallel to the wheels and sitting where the springs used to be and fastened them with "u" bolts. Then added two more 2x6's perpendicular to the first two and a handle, done. It cost approximately $50 to make.
If I can find time to modify it I would probably shorten the axle another foot or so. I also removed all the brake parts.

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Re: Timber Cart & Wrench [Re: kfhines] #13068 10/15/07 04:43 PM
daiku Offline
I had a really nifty one I made from motorcycle wheels, which have the bearings built in. I got them from a junk yard, and they were a matched set of front wheels with tires from what I think were Honda CB400 street bikes. The large diameter wheels are really nice for rough terrain or deep sawdust. Mine did double duty as a small trailer I could pull behind the truck, which also made it convenient to bring to job sites. That's how it ultimately met its demise, though (but not my fault :)). CB.

Meanwhile, you can get a lighter-duty one here:
http://www.timbercarts.com/

Or you could order a set of wheels and build your own:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331764_200331764

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users