Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How much time to allow for design and drawings #13103 10/19/07 06:26 PM
mikehailey Offline OP
OP Offline
As a WAG... smile How much time should I allow a typical TF professional to design and draw plans.

I am 2-3 years from starting cutting on a TF addition to our stick built home.

I will be using mainly Alaska Yellow Cedar, and some western Hemlock. While I think the actual cutting and erection may be within my capability, designing and engineering are something I don't feel adequate enough for. Especially with the wind and snow load I will need to build for here (SE Alaska).

By the way there are NO building requirements except the ones I choose! I am remote.

Siketi
Re: How much time to allow for design and drawings [Re: mikehailey] #13109 10/20/07 08:05 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Mike,

I could probably design and 3D model a whole frame in a day providing a client was able to provide good definition of the project at hand but the process that usually needs to be followed to arrive at a finished design will generally run into weeks when one takes into account design review, client comment and approvals. Production of individual stick drawings takes longer and the addition of detail dimensions to those stick drawings seems to take forever - however this is not really required where the carpenter can layout the frame using scribe or square layout system.

If you want something special (for Alaska) check out http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk

Regards

Ken Hume P.Eng.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: How much time to allow for design and drawings [Re: Ken Hume] #13351 11/23/07 11:23 PM
D
designer Offline
D
Mike,
To answer your question of design time, this of course depends on size and complexity of the structure. Time also depends on if we are developing all plans (architectural, timber frame and SIP's).
I work with clients world wide and develop a web page for client where they can also view plans, this saves time too.
If providing you all plans(architectural, timber frame and SIP's)I would guess at a 3-6 weeks turn around time and plans that an owner builder can build from.
Of course you also need to remember the designers schedule and how soon you need to prepare for your project to be locked into their time frame. This can sometimes be months in advance.
Hope this helped... http://www.timberframedesign.net

Regards,
Don

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users