Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 136 1 2 3 4 5 6 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: timberwrestler] #13176 10/30/07 06:54 PM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
Yo TW....

I started out with a gransfors and felt it a bit light weight for the butt end of logs so I emailed them and they forged a custom axe for me!

It looks awesome and is heavier, bigger face, etc and I have yet to try it out!

I do have some nice pine logs in the yard at the moment but no project needing a hewn log.

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Bruce Chrustie] #13177 10/30/07 10:27 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Bruce,

you have got to post some photos of the custom Gransfors!

If you would like me to, you can email them to me and I'll put them up.

I love my gransfors, but I wish it had about another pound to it.

gabel

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: timberwrestler] #13180 10/31/07 12:46 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Mo and others:

"time it takes to hew an 8" by 8" timber from scratch"

It would take me longer to hand hew the above log than what Mark says he can do it in, but then he might be using a chain saw to cut vertically to the line prior to hewing, that I don't know.

For me using the scoring axe to rough score the log prior to hewing will take more time, also I make two passes on each side a rough hewing pass to within 3/4" of the line, and then the finishing pass scoring at 3" to 4" intervals, then removing the scored material right down to the line. Done properly it will leave a surface that shows the bite of the axe at the closer intervals, and once in a while you might see the rough scoring mark at a wider intervals. A good hewer will produce a surface with very few of the scoring marks visible, and to produce an authentic hewn surface you have to follow each step faithfully without skipping any of the above steps. I estimate it would take me 2 hours or about 30 minutes per side to produce an 8" by 8" timber.

I realize that many of you will likely turn to the chainsaw to help speed up the process, or "veneer" skim a sawn surface as suggested above but it is unlikely that you will produce the kind of surface that passes a close inspection by a knowledgeable person. If you are satisfied so be it it is your call, but in closing I will only say that you should at least know the feeling of having completely produced a surface using the basic tools available at that time, that way you can compare the differences in the finishes of the two produced surfaces, using different methods.

Also there is something about a hewn timber that makes it unique, the variations in squareness, the slightly larger or smaller measurements all along its length, and sometimes slight windings,a few axe marks here and there, little chunks of wood that were dislodged by the strike of the axe(s), these are the things that make a hewn timber beautiful to look at and contain your signature.

Thanks for all your great comments, and those beautiful pictures of your axe collection Mark, thanks for putting them on!!

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Gabel] #13184 10/31/07 02:15 AM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
Gabel,

See if I can post this smile It is a smaller image than what would show much detail but you get an idea of the size compared to a standard broadaxe from them.

I can try and find you a high res pic over the weekend if needed.

And yes....I ordered two! One for Timberframin' Norm who lives locally and teaches me alot smile

I just found the original pic they emailed me.....it was 2080 SEK per axe, they are 5 lb heads and 9" face! Or about $320 USD now.

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #13185 10/31/07 02:20 AM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
NH:

I spent a year 'training' getting into top notch (parden the pun) shape when I knew I was going to hew the second story logs for my house.

I could hew 24' logs both sides of pine with an 18" butt in 2 hours but that included scoring with a chainsaw.

The limiting factor of hewing is not strength, sharp tools take care of that, but cardio capacity!

I could hew 2.5 logs a day before I could not lift my hands again and then proceeded to eat everything I could find to replenish lost energy.

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Bruce Chrustie] #13186 10/31/07 02:31 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
on hewing time:
my reply was based on the phrase
" the diameter of the log is just big enough to accommodate the 8x8? "
and based on using only a scoring axe and a broadaxe.
(-:

Last edited by Mark Davidson; 10/31/07 07:54 PM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Mark Davidson] #13190 10/31/07 07:12 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Bruce,

I am interested in your custom hewing axe order with Gransfors and would like to get one of these axes myself.

Can you provide us with a contact name and email for Gransfors plus also maybe an order reference or model number so that we can place orders for the identical custom made axe.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Ken Hume] #13191 10/31/07 12:34 PM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
Ken,

Most certainly!

Anna-Karin@gransfors.com was my contact and here is what I wrote: "I have a model 1900 axe, right handled and with standard scissor sharpening. Would you be able to forge a similar axe to that with a 9" face and 2 lbs heavier head with a 2" longer handle?"

As you know the fine folks at gransfors initial their work so I can see who the blacksmith was who made them. Maybe Anna-Karin will remember my order but this was all I sent them and you see what they sent me back!

B.

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Bruce Chrustie] #13193 10/31/07 03:13 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Bruce,

My enquiry is now with them and I will post a note here when they advise me the price and delivery to ship to England.

Thank you for that advice and happy hewing !

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Ken Hume] #13201 11/01/07 09:17 PM
T
timber brained Offline
T
This is my kind of thread. I am addicted to hewing and the axe in general is my favorite tool to use. I try to stay safe and traditional and hew the log low to the ground but sometimes I feel the need to change my body position and the subsequent stress by hewing at hip level with a shorter handled, lighter broad axe. I also prefer single bevel as it is like a large chisel. I am with NH as I like to make a score with a heavy standard axe , then a rough hew to about 3/4" of the score line and finish with a more accurate hew to the line. NH is totally correct about the little character "defects" that make a timber unique and beautiful. I am much slower than you guys as I do it for fun and spend a lot of time making little adjustments as I go along based on the shape of the log, at the same time I do try to get a log at least rough hewed on all four sides in the same day, which brings me to a question of mine, but I will start a new post as it is more specific and this thread is already quite lengthy. tb

Page 4 of 136 1 2 3 4 5 6 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users