Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ambitious Amateur Inquiry #1336 01/22/05 10:37 PM
D
David Mason Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi All,

I'm a thoroughly inexperienced carpenter with a dream to build a timber frame home. On the way there, I'd like to get some experience (and solve some immediate problems) by building a timber frame outbuilding--something along the lines of the shed featured in last November's "Fine Homebuilding", complete with SIP exterior.

I've read all the standard introductory lit on the subject, but I'm lacking some footing about initial practical matters such as purchasing plans and material.

What are the experienced suggestions for plans for such a project? And does anyone have any recommendations for material sources in the Memphis area? (I have a friend in Georgia who glued together his own SIPs--is this a viable option?)

Thanks for the recommendations and advice.

David Mason
Re: Ambitious Amateur Inquiry #1337 01/25/05 02:57 AM
C
Chris S Offline
C
I can completely relate. I have been studying timber frame building for several years, but have yet to cut my first bent. I do however have the wood for the shed FWW featured thanks to Hurricane Issabel. I had a portable bandsaw mill come and saw my 3000+bf of white/red oak, pine, and maple for about $.30/bf Mine was an ideal situation however since I had used a backhoe to move all 40 logs into easy milling position. My first plan called for chainsaw milling the wood for the frame, but that is a LOT of work. Definitely do-able, but man the aching back! The plans that I'm working from are in Jack Sobon's book "Timber Frame Construction" Amazon link A little scant, but you get the idea. I would find another book for the actual cutting. I think Chappell's book is supposed to be solid:
Timber Framer\'s Workshop link

Books are definitely a good place to start. Check your local library. I have found several around town. From one amateur to another, good luck. While it will be difficult, I'm sure you can do it if you set your mind to it!

Chris

Re: Ambitious Amateur Inquiry #1338 01/25/05 03:06 PM
daiku Offline
IMHO, The best "how to" book is Tedd Benson's first book: Building the Timber Frame House . Good luck on your project!

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Ambitious Amateur Inquiry #1339 01/25/05 10:06 PM
B
Brock Smith Offline
B
"IMHO, The best "how to" book is Tedd Benson's first book: Building the Timber Frame House. Good luck on your project!"

Good call Daiku. This was my first book, as I'm sure it was for many. It was a great read, even before I'd turned my first beam. When you're done reading that one David, and you find yourself stuck in the next book, be prepared; life as you know it will never be the same... wink

Best of luck with your project,
Brock

Re: Ambitious Amateur Inquiry #1340 01/26/05 02:15 PM
D
Dan Dwelley Offline
D
All of the books mentioned are good books. I've read and reread all of them. What one doesn't have, the others do. The two I'm drawn to are Steve Chappell and Jack Sobon's books. Good luck with your project.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

- Albert Einstein.
Re: Ambitious Amateur Inquiry #1341 01/26/05 06:59 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
For you beginners, and others, the two books you are referring to 1)Jack Sobon's "Timber Frame Construction" and 2)Steve Chappell's "A Timber Framers Workshop" illustrate two totally different types of timber framing.
Jack's book shows you how to cut a timber frame shed using rough sawn lumber. With the joints laid out from a reference face on the timber. Basically traditional timber frame joinery.
Steve's book shows you how to cut a timber frame using planned full dimension timbers. And his joinery designs are of the more modern type of timber framing.
Both are good books and both men are good teachers and writers.
I've attended workshops taught by each of them, in order to learn all types of timber framing.
The point of this message is to inform you that there is more than one style of timber framing.
Good luck with your studies.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Ambitious Amateur Inquiry #1342 02/08/05 05:35 PM
J
JoeyLowe Offline
J
Hi David:

There are several "plans" that are published in the many timber frame books available. Most center around the 12 x 16' shed and are designed to expose you to the different joinery options available. (There are many paths to the same destination.)

As for material sources in the Memphis area, you shouldn't have a problem locating good quality, locally milled timbers. You should check out www.forestryforum.com. There are many small mill operators in the Memphis area and if you check down around Tupelo, you will probably get better pricing.

As for gluing your own SIPS, that is pretty laborious and the results aren't very good. There are many enclosure systems out there. SIPS is definitely a good way to go and if making a SIP panel is your way of cutting costs, then you might want to check out what is available first. SIPs manufacurers have spent millions of dollars developing their products and they offer good products for a very price. I don't think making your own SIPs will save you money. The guild offers a book titled Timber Frame Joinery & Design Workbook that discusses several different types of enclosure systems. You might get a copy of that see what you think. I'm cutting my first frame for sale right now and the client has decided to use straw bales as part of his enclosure system. Anyway, have fun! laugh

J. Alexander Lowe & Sons
"In The German Tradition"
877-815-2417

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users