Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
timber frame packages #1346 02/01/05 05:15 AM
F
Frank Grzesk Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Im hoping to build a house this spring and i definetly want to build a timber frame home.Im checking out my options right now and currently my best option seems to be a package from normerica.Im thinking of using one of there pre engineered house plans and purchasing the pre cut timber package and there sips,assembling everything myself.Im curious if there is any other companies that offer a similar package?Has any one had any experiences with normerica.I also thought about purchasing just the plans and cutting the timbers myself.I am a carpenter and have done a small amount of timber framing.This is also my first owner/ builder house and am not sure if trying to cut my own timbers will be taking on to much for my first house.Thanks for any ideas or comments

Re: timber frame packages #1347 02/01/05 04:11 PM
G
Greg E Offline
G
I would definitely suggest building a smaller TF structure first, not an entire house, and see how well that goes for you. Even a smallish structure is alot of work, esp. if you are a "one man shop" like me.

Get Jack Sobon's red book and tackle the garden shed first. When you're done, you'll know if you are ready to cut the frame for a house, or not.

Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Grzesk:
Im hoping to build a house this spring and i definetly want to build a timber frame home.Im checking out my options right now and currently my best option seems to be a package from normerica.Im thinking of using one of there pre engineered house plans and purchasing the pre cut timber package and there sips,assembling everything myself.Im curious if there is any other companies that offer a similar package?Has any one had any experiences with normerica.I also thought about purchasing just the plans and cutting the timbers myself.I am a carpenter and have done a small amount of timber framing.This is also my first owner/ builder house and am not sure if trying to cut my own timbers will be taking on to much for my first house.Thanks for any ideas or comments

Re: timber frame packages #1348 02/02/05 09:15 PM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
If I may be so bold as to ask, why is that your best option? What were the parameters of your choice? I'm asking because I own a small timber frame company in Virginia and am curious as to how choices like this are made. I believe that working with a smaller shop and developing a relationship that allows give and take on the design and fabrication to be the best choice. It has also been my experience that the smaller craft builders are competively priced when comparing apples to apples in frames.

Anyway, just wondering...

Having all the fun there is,
Bob

Re: timber frame packages #1349 02/03/05 01:30 AM
F
Frank Grzesk Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thats a good question.basically i want to build a timber frame home and im torn between paying to get my plans engineered and cutting all the timbers myself.or using normerica which would provide the plans,precut timbers,and the sipsand allow me to do all the install myself.my biggest fear if i cut all the timbers myself is running out of time.im building at almost 11,500ft. and summers are really short.i've contacted a few timber frame companies in the state and none of them seem to offer the flexibility normerica is offering.im all for the small companies and would actually prefer to give my business to them but so far they seem to be the option for my situation.If you think your company can offer a similar package i would definetly like to get some info and pricing,thanks frank

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users