Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What three books... #13597 12/26/07 04:22 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
If you were first starting out in Timber Framing what would be your top three books to buy?

I'm finding so many that look so good I don't know if there's a true best book to start out with.

So far I've narrowed it down to these three:

The TimberFrame HomeDesign Construction Finishing by Tedd Benson

Building the Timber Frame House by Tedd Benson

Build a Classic Timber-Framed House: Planning & Design/Traditional Materials/Affordable Methods
by Jack A. Sobon

Then there's the Timber Frame Guild's new book but that doesn't seem like one of the best FIRST books to get. Looks like its more about plans?? I really can't tell what it's all about from their description.

Thanks everyone and have a happy and healthy New Year!!
andy

PS...still Christmas isn't it?...hmmmmm
O.K., here's a last minute present...turn up yer speakers : )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkUjtl3sH_k

Re: What three books... [Re: andybuildz] #13600 12/26/07 02:14 PM
daiku Offline
Those were the first three I bought, long ago :-) You'll also want the guild's red and green workbooks. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: What three books... [Re: ] #13605 12/26/07 11:37 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Andy, isn't that Jimmy Cliff on vocals? Your book collection may depend on which direction your joinery leans, traditional or modern. (Benson-modern/Sobon-traditional) I, for some reason, also keep book colors in my mind instead of real titles, there is Sobons yellow book, avaliable via the guild. It is a record of traditional joinery and how it was used. Tim

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13608 12/27/07 03:09 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Clark and Derek and Tim..appreciate it.
And Tim...can't swear who's singing that...some say Peter Tosh, some say Bob Marley but i still can't get that song out of my head.

Re: What three books... [Re: ] #13611 12/27/07 04:13 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Derek J Swanger
I can't get The Lorax by Dr. Suess out of my head.

Sounds like Peter Tosh to me, who knows the legend? I'll ask three little birds.

Some books teach you how to timber frame, some books teach you how to be a timberframer.

Wish I could figure out how to post pictures here cause I'd post some nice ones I took in Negril Ja 2 xmas' ago...gee, time flies..ugh.
and that quote of yours, "Some books teach you how to timber frame, some books teach you how to be a timberframer" rocks.
Although ya either have it or ya don't.
I know I really like to sing..but I better not do it front of anyone...lol.

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13616 12/27/07 03:47 PM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Your book collection may depend on which direction your joinery leans, traditional or modern. (Benson-modern/Sobon-traditional) I, for some reason, also keep book colors in my mind instead of real titles, there is Sobons yellow book, avaliable via the guild. It is a record of traditional joinery and how it was used. Tim

Hey Tim...Mind expanding on that a bit? After reading that again it seemed like you might have more to say and I'd be interested in hearing it.
thanks
andy

Re: What three books... [Re: andybuildz] #13634 12/28/07 12:01 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Andy, which part, the modern/traditional or the yellow book? I think there has been chat on modern/traditional in this fourm, I can't pin point it, but have seen it mentioned, any one else have input. My joinery leans very heavy on the traditional side, only hand tools with the occational chain saw. I am also, for some reason, drawn to that type of joinery. Eleven years a go I attened a work shop that taught modern joinery, came home and just started in on my own and out popped traditional stuff. Most likly due to the type of tools I use: boring machine, axe slick, etc.. One reason for the hand tools is I live with a off grid setting, the bank said we didn't have electricty. I was up late last night watching a movie, got uplate as well and am now late for work. Hope that helps. Tim

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13637 12/28/07 02:59 PM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Tim...
Now I get what you mean. Thanks...sent away for books yesterday so that should set me straight pretty much.
I'm a traditionilist but I've been trying to become more of a realtist as well so I spose' I'd be one to mix and match depending on how much work was backed up and how much sleep I've been getting.
Thanks
andy

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13641 12/28/07 09:38 PM
T
timber brained Offline
T
Anything by Jack Sobon is essential, and I also recommend the Fox maple "Timber Framers workshop" by Steve Chappell

Re: What three books... [Re: timber brained] #13644 12/29/07 01:19 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: timber brained
Anything by Jack Sobon is essential, and I also recommend the Fox maple "Timber Framers workshop" by Steve Chappell

Thanks TB...I got a great deal on two of Ted Benson's books so I went with them for now.
"Building the TF House" and "TF Home- Design Construction finishing"
Cheap price and free shipping. I'm sure there's more to get down the line.
I see we're almost neighbor's. I lived up in West Saugerties for a spell. Worked at The Woodstock Repertory Theater building stage props way back when. also worked up past the Byrdcliff Playhouse on Bobby & Sara D's house. I'm talking quite a while ago...maybe almost a lifetime ago or so it feels. Right around the time he got in the motor cycle accident.

Sure would love to get up to Hunter to get a few runs in this year. I see there's plenty of snow there.
thanks again
andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users