Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What three books... #13597 12/26/07 04:22 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
If you were first starting out in Timber Framing what would be your top three books to buy?

I'm finding so many that look so good I don't know if there's a true best book to start out with.

So far I've narrowed it down to these three:

The TimberFrame HomeDesign Construction Finishing by Tedd Benson

Building the Timber Frame House by Tedd Benson

Build a Classic Timber-Framed House: Planning & Design/Traditional Materials/Affordable Methods
by Jack A. Sobon

Then there's the Timber Frame Guild's new book but that doesn't seem like one of the best FIRST books to get. Looks like its more about plans?? I really can't tell what it's all about from their description.

Thanks everyone and have a happy and healthy New Year!!
andy

PS...still Christmas isn't it?...hmmmmm
O.K., here's a last minute present...turn up yer speakers : )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkUjtl3sH_k

Re: What three books... [Re: andybuildz] #13600 12/26/07 02:14 PM
daiku Offline
Those were the first three I bought, long ago :-) You'll also want the guild's red and green workbooks. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: What three books... [Re: ] #13605 12/26/07 11:37 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Andy, isn't that Jimmy Cliff on vocals? Your book collection may depend on which direction your joinery leans, traditional or modern. (Benson-modern/Sobon-traditional) I, for some reason, also keep book colors in my mind instead of real titles, there is Sobons yellow book, avaliable via the guild. It is a record of traditional joinery and how it was used. Tim

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13608 12/27/07 03:09 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Clark and Derek and Tim..appreciate it.
And Tim...can't swear who's singing that...some say Peter Tosh, some say Bob Marley but i still can't get that song out of my head.

Re: What three books... [Re: ] #13611 12/27/07 04:13 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Derek J Swanger
I can't get The Lorax by Dr. Suess out of my head.

Sounds like Peter Tosh to me, who knows the legend? I'll ask three little birds.

Some books teach you how to timber frame, some books teach you how to be a timberframer.

Wish I could figure out how to post pictures here cause I'd post some nice ones I took in Negril Ja 2 xmas' ago...gee, time flies..ugh.
and that quote of yours, "Some books teach you how to timber frame, some books teach you how to be a timberframer" rocks.
Although ya either have it or ya don't.
I know I really like to sing..but I better not do it front of anyone...lol.

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13616 12/27/07 03:47 PM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Your book collection may depend on which direction your joinery leans, traditional or modern. (Benson-modern/Sobon-traditional) I, for some reason, also keep book colors in my mind instead of real titles, there is Sobons yellow book, avaliable via the guild. It is a record of traditional joinery and how it was used. Tim

Hey Tim...Mind expanding on that a bit? After reading that again it seemed like you might have more to say and I'd be interested in hearing it.
thanks
andy

Re: What three books... [Re: andybuildz] #13634 12/28/07 12:01 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Andy, which part, the modern/traditional or the yellow book? I think there has been chat on modern/traditional in this fourm, I can't pin point it, but have seen it mentioned, any one else have input. My joinery leans very heavy on the traditional side, only hand tools with the occational chain saw. I am also, for some reason, drawn to that type of joinery. Eleven years a go I attened a work shop that taught modern joinery, came home and just started in on my own and out popped traditional stuff. Most likly due to the type of tools I use: boring machine, axe slick, etc.. One reason for the hand tools is I live with a off grid setting, the bank said we didn't have electricty. I was up late last night watching a movie, got uplate as well and am now late for work. Hope that helps. Tim

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13637 12/28/07 02:59 PM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Tim...
Now I get what you mean. Thanks...sent away for books yesterday so that should set me straight pretty much.
I'm a traditionilist but I've been trying to become more of a realtist as well so I spose' I'd be one to mix and match depending on how much work was backed up and how much sleep I've been getting.
Thanks
andy

Re: What three books... [Re: TIMBEAL] #13641 12/28/07 09:38 PM
T
timber brained Offline
T
Anything by Jack Sobon is essential, and I also recommend the Fox maple "Timber Framers workshop" by Steve Chappell

Re: What three books... [Re: timber brained] #13644 12/29/07 01:19 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: timber brained
Anything by Jack Sobon is essential, and I also recommend the Fox maple "Timber Framers workshop" by Steve Chappell

Thanks TB...I got a great deal on two of Ted Benson's books so I went with them for now.
"Building the TF House" and "TF Home- Design Construction finishing"
Cheap price and free shipping. I'm sure there's more to get down the line.
I see we're almost neighbor's. I lived up in West Saugerties for a spell. Worked at The Woodstock Repertory Theater building stage props way back when. also worked up past the Byrdcliff Playhouse on Bobby & Sara D's house. I'm talking quite a while ago...maybe almost a lifetime ago or so it feels. Right around the time he got in the motor cycle accident.

Sure would love to get up to Hunter to get a few runs in this year. I see there's plenty of snow there.
thanks again
andy

Re: What three books... [Re: andybuildz] #13655 12/30/07 01:46 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi Andy:

Just for my 2 cents worth

I got to say that I have never read any of the above books but they sound great.

I instead broused through good research libraries and took long looks at some of the old authors from times gone by. I also examined many historic structures, You will be surprised what you will learn, and maybe some parts to the puzzles that are missing in the modern ones. I do enjoy looking at the amazing structures that are being created, pushing the timberframes to the limit seem to be the call of the day, and yet something seems to be quite beautiful about what was created in the many years gone by, and draws your eye mysteriously as you pass by, take for instance a Dutch barn on the horizon surrounded by some modern structures, which one will get the lions share of viewing?

What I am ascared of is that so many of the new arrivals to timberframing are looking at the same authors continuosly, and will end up not doing your own original thing.

to me it is like trying to create a flock of birds using only one parental line, I say to you don't be ascared to be different read everything, listen, look and examine, then create the new you and your creative art form!

See you in the future

NH

Re: What three books... [Re: northern hewer] #13656 12/30/07 03:04 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: northern hewer
Hi Andy:

I got to say that I have never read any of the above books but they sound great.

I instead broused through good research libraries and took long looks at some of the old authors from times gone by. I also examined many historic structures, You will be surprised what you will learn, and maybe some parts to the puzzles that are missing in the modern ones. I do enjoy looking at the amazing structures that are being created, pushing the timberframes to the limit seem to be the call of the day, and yet something seems to be quite beautiful about what was created in the many years gone by, and draws your eye mysteriously as you pass by, take for instance a Dutch barn on the horizon surrounded by some modern structures, which one will get the lions share of viewing?

What I am ascared of is that so many of the new arrivals to timberframing are looking at the same authors continuosly, and will end up not doing your own original thing.

to me it is like trying to create a flock of birds using only one parental line, I say to you don't be ascared to be different read everything, listen, look and examine, then create the new you and your creative art form!

See you in the future

NH

7th down from left is the house I live in and spent five years restoring which is now up for sale. It's a TF circa:1680 that
http://www.huntingtonhistoricalsociety.org/house_tour_2007.htm
you can see in my website. I just had the Huntington Hysterical (lol) choose my house as one of five to use on their tour this past Dec. 3rd.
I reckon they liked what I did. 300 people who each paid thirty bucks for the tour trampled through here..ugh. too bad I didn't see any of that money...lol. I spose it was part of a turning point for me. Maybe this house even led me on my current journey getting involved now with TF's. Maybe it was the ghost's in here's way of thanking me for saving this house which was falling off the face of the earth after 326 years.
All these things that have been happening to me all at once sure seem to almost make me superstitious (almost...lol).

The cpl of books ordered I'm sure will be the beginning of many to come to add to my already collected collection of building reading material. As it is...I'm still reading/studying through those great illustrated posts from Jim Rogers http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6403.0

It'd sure be nice to get this house sold so there's less stress on me and I can REALLY get my hands into some TF'ing and all that goes along with it. Landing a great gig for some company that will further me along would be great. Never worked for anyone before but it's all good...whatever gets you from point A to point B is what its all about.
It's all about the journey...right?
See you in the future as well...ya never know : )

Have a great new year
Namaste'
andy

Last edited by andybuildz; 12/30/07 03:06 AM.
Re: What three books... [Re: northern hewer] #13657 12/30/07 03:33 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: northern hewer
Hi Andy:

See you in the future

NH

NH
GREAT POINT! But that goes with out saying about a whole lot of things doesn't it?
For me....right now I need to first learn the tried and true ways before I can deviate into my own ideas which I'm sure there will be plenty. I have many philosophys about how things are done in today's society from the way we build to the way we consume to the way we politic etc etc.
The feeling I'm getting with all due respect to modern technology is that we're getting further and further away from what life is all about...at least to me. I spose' there's not really any right or wrong. Just what is. Except when we find ourselves in unhealthy places and in denial about it all and where it's heading. I suppose to me...and it probably sounds pretty hockey to a lot of people is that we're forgetting where it all comes from. thats why I meditate. Nothing religous...spirtual maybe but not religous. It's all about hearing nothing but our breath...at least for a while during the day and nothing more and nothing less. I think people that are involved in the love of wood/nature can understand this maybe a bit better than those that never really walk out into the woods alone. That don't hear the silence long enough to.........
well you know.
If we can bring our selves back to some real basics like the original people on this planet. the people that built some of these basic timber structures...with no power tools...no sets of blue prints really...just the need for a function to survive somewhat comfortably. The need to shelter their families. I suppose after years and years we started thinking more about "form". More about appearances...then more about facades....and then....well you know what I'm saying...sorry for my dopey rambles...lol
andy

Re: What three books... [Re: andybuildz] #13660 12/30/07 05:25 AM
mo Offline
Andy, Welcome. Rambling is alright here. As far as the books the ones the guild site offers are great. I can't remember the two names but I know of them as the "red" and "green" books. I think it is something along the lines of design and joinery volumes.? Also Sobon's "Historic American Timberframe Joinery". That is the "yellow" one.

Re: What three books... [Re: mo] #13661 12/30/07 06:18 AM
andybuildz Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: mo
Andy, Welcome. Rambling is alright here. As far as the books the ones the guild site offers are great. I can't remember the two names but I know of them as the "red" and "green" books. I think it is something along the lines of design and joinery volumes.? Also Sobon's "Historic American Timberframe Joinery". That is the "yellow" one.

Thanks Mo..I'll add them to my collection after I finish what's coming in the mail. I got the two I did b/c they were priced "really" right and I figured i couldn't go wrong really.
I'm a sucka for a good deal...lol. It's going to take me a lil' spell to absorb what I'm already reading.......although I do have to say I am understanding it all pretty quickly. Prolly' cuz I've been a carp for such a long time. I call it "common sense in wood".....for the most part.
thanks again Mo

Re: What three books... [Re: andybuildz] #13662 12/30/07 08:52 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Northern Hewer,

You have made some pretty profound observations and I will need to think on and reflect upon them for a while.

Best Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: What three books... [Re: Ken Hume] #13726 01/02/08 02:10 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
HI Ken:

Nice to hear from you and the best of the season, I guess you were celebrating the new year alittle earlier than us over here in NA, right now we're up to our ---- in snow!!

It is always nice to know that you are lurking in the background ready with some of your great input.

See you in the New Year, and Happy New Year to everyone else peeking in.

NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users