Print Thread
Rate Thread
Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- #12935 09/26/07 12:39 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone:

Due to popular demand I am once again offering this training film in digital dvd format for those that are in need of instruction in the use of this historic wood working tool.

topics covered will introduce the student to background information such as the offset handle, the blade and how to sharpen it correctly, the proper use of the scoring axe, the broadaxe, doing layout on a round surface and then on the flat surface, finishing up a surface properly in line with the historic finishes represented in the older buildings across North America

I also have a nice training film on historic adzing which is a companion film to the broadaxing one, and it covers all the topics that deal with its use.

Both films are hands on type of instruction, I talk on various subjects, and then work stopping regularly to explain the why's and what's that deal with things such as how to stand, how to eye up and line a slightly bowed log as well as many other very necessary bits of information which are critical to obtaining an accurate finish surface.

for the months of October and November I am offering both topics for the price of one.

NH

Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: northern hewer] #12942 09/26/07 05:27 PM
C
cordwoodguy Offline
C
NORTHERN HEWER............SOME OLD RAILROAD HEWERS USED TO TRAIN NEW PEOPLE BY MAKING THEM STAND IN WOODEN BOXES TO PROTECT THEIR LEGS.I`M ALL FOR SAFETY AND I HOPE YOU INCORPERATE THIS IN YOUR TRAINING.

CORDWOODGUY

PLEASE EXCUSE THE UPPERCASE LETTERS AS I HAVE A VISUAL DISABILITY...SORRY!
Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: cordwoodguy] #12946 09/27/07 12:47 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi Cordwood guy, and to others on this thread:

Well safety is a #1 issue with me, life is full of many safety problems, please don't think for one minute that modern tools are without their many dangers. I have had more close calls with modern tools than with the historic ones.

My dad who had used an adze all his life made one slip using his adze and severed a tendon in his ankle, he was one year learning how to walk. when I told him that I was going to demonstrate on a daily basis how to use the adze and the broadaxe, he said that he had only one thing to tell me--"be careful"--. I was very careful and over the 30 years that I was involved in traditional framing, and hewing, as well as making wooden troughs and many other things, I had only one close call with the adze, and it was on a slippery surface after a rain, so I tell all my students to be very careful and plan each move, and rest often to retain control of the tool that you are using.

I also taught safety training and one thing that I relate to those that want to listen to me is that sometimes putting on protection whether it be a mask, safety shoes, ear plugs, or shin guards, or your example a wooden box around your legs, it can give you a false sense of protection, and you can actually be a victim of safety appareil.

I believe in regards to using historic tools such as the broadaxe and the adze, as well as others, the best defense is to be shown how to properly stand and make each strike, and when to look at a situation and plan safety into each move.

Whether to use safety appareil is something that each person needs to address for themselves, whatever they feel comfortable with as they work, and I fully support their decision.

NH

Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: northern hewer] #12950 09/27/07 01:10 PM
daiku Offline
Well spoken, Richard. I've heard it said that the most important piece of safety equipment is the one between your ears. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: daiku] #12957 09/28/07 12:44 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi Daiku:

thanks for the remarks, I am sure that you practice good safety on all your construction sites, and I fully agree that you need to use what god gave you.

This was especially true for me because of the fact that I worked and demonstrated in what was referred to as an "historic zone", and no modern appareil could be worn such as safety equipment, so working very carefully was the name of the game.

We had more accidents with the public falling and hurting themselves, than any of the 100's of interpretive staff on site.

well it is always nice to hear from you

NH

Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: northern hewer] #13181 10/31/07 01:00 AM
N
OP Offline
N
This is just a reminder of the special that I am offering for the month of November, for those that need instruction, or that just wants to view someone using the historic tools to produce timbers with a beautiful hewn finish.

Anyone with some skills can master using the old hewing axe provided that they study in detail what is shown in my instructional footage, and are willing to learn.

NH

Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: northern hewer] #13313 11/15/07 10:46 PM
M
mike deibert Offline
M
Dear Northern Hewer,

I'd like to purchase the videos. Can you please send the required ordering information to:

mike.deibert@mvnicargua.org

Thanks,
Mike

Mike

"Behold I have created the blacksmith..."
Isa 54:16
Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: mike deibert] #13574 12/21/07 01:49 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone on this thread

Just to let you all know that I still have the above DVD's for sale just get back to me and I will give you updates on some new titles that i am now offering such as a "small horse barn" raising video, as well as a "three bay english barn" raising video, both titles are very enjoyable watching as well as instructional in content

NH

Re: Traditional hewing training dvd-special offer-- [Re: northern hewer] #13633 12/28/07 07:13 AM
C
chichi1golf Offline
C
please send ordering info to boka@mwt.net.
Thanks,
Bob

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users