Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hip and Valley [Re: Gabel] #13987 01/19/08 04:51 PM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
Gabel, Yes they are offset for that reason. If you did not offset them your stick dimensions would be odd with trying to leave enough face for intersecting purlins or rafters.

Here is a photo of a simple way to find the offset.
All you need to do is represent the two plates (at any angle you wish to build with) the two common rafters, and the hip centerline in plan (which is actually the top of your backing, due to the offset). I used a 3" hip in this one because of sheet paper size.

All you really need is the angles between plate, hip, plate in plan view.

I know someone who found the reasoning for this with formulas and such. It was about two pages long when the variables were introduced. I'll see if I can post it sometime soon.

If there any questions about the illustration, feel free.

mo

Re: Hip and Valley [Re: mo] #13990 01/19/08 06:21 PM
Joe Bartok Offline
"I know someone who found the reasoning for this with formulas and such. It was about two pages long when the variables were introduced. I'll see if I can post it sometime soon."

Two pages!!!

The ratio for the offset is the Major (or Minor) Plan Angle rise divided by the sum of both Plan Angle rises.

Produce the lines at a right angle to the Hip run until they intersect the eave lines.

Last edited by Joe Bartok; 01/19/08 06:47 PM.
Re: Hip and Valley [Re: Joe Bartok] #13994 01/19/08 10:42 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
thanks mo and Joe,

I'll have to look at this for a few minutes when my head's in the game.

Re: Hip and Valley [Re: mo] #13998 01/20/08 07:11 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Originally Posted By: mo
That is how I have learned to do this. We just use centerlines of each piece and represent a corner of the roof in plan view. From there with the rise, angle of plates, spacing, backing cut, and hip offset one can calculate everything. By laying certain triangles down in plan view and knowing which points to connect the angles can be found. If you are very precise with this you can then use a bevel to transfer the angles on the plywood or paper to the timber for lay-out, probably some of the most challenging geometry I have attempted, but once it clicks it clicks.

mymymy...
Ya, this is the way I figured it out, when I finally did. And I'm sure that next time it comes up, I'll have to re-figure it out again.

I find it quite difficult to wrap my brain around something on the written page, but in the shop with the plans and the timbers in front of me, well that's a whole different scene!
And somehow, I found the valleys easier to work with than the hips....either way, both are a great challenge!
And yes, they gotta have housings or something...don't just be lagging those jacks!

Good luck, buddy wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users