Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Not another finishing question! #13849 01/11/08 12:05 PM
K
kfhines Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My question has little to do with what finish to use, but when? I have read all the finishing threads
over the past thee years and I’m still not convinced to put a finish on them at all. Are these timbers
that are having a finish applied to them green or seasoned?
I am a little uneasy about applying a finish to a green timber and risk trapping moisture in the wood
to start the decaying process. Rotting from the inside out is not cool!
I know it looks nice and helps reduce checking but are these breathable finishes?
I am in the middle of cutting a 1300 sq/ft square rule, hand planed, Dutch frame addition to my own house.
So I have some time to kick this around. I will post some pictures when things progress a little further.

Regards.
Karl Hines

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: kfhines] #13851 01/11/08 02:10 PM
daiku Offline
Does anyone out there have any first-hand experience with a green timber rotting because of the finish? So far, it seems all we have is conjecture and theoretical possibility. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: daiku] #13857 01/11/08 04:22 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
There are breathable finishes or oils that won't trap moisture in..

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: Jim Rogers] #13858 01/11/08 08:19 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
If you're going to apply a finish, I think the best time is right after you plane, which should be right before raising unless you want the wood get a tan.

Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: Mark Davidson] #13870 01/12/08 12:11 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I like tanned wood. Tim

Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: TIMBEAL] #13882 01/14/08 12:03 PM
K
kfhines Offline OP
OP Offline
K
"conjecture and theoretical possibility" True enough, but derived from what I've seen by trapping moisture in all most any piece of wood. I'm not knocking what any body does or has done I was curious if any body else has give it any thought.
I think the paint is the only thing left holding up my 2x6 fence (existing when I bought the place). I'm sure many of you have seen plenty of siding you could poke your finger thru.
In part it's the same reason you don't put shingles down on a wet deck, a side from not wanting to blister the asphalt shingles.
Mark. The tanning is ok but the tan lines from the stickers I might not like. Planning before raising is a good Idea but I don't want to handle some of these timbers any more than have to. I've got all I can do to roll a round a 8"x14"x20" timber by my self.
I think a breathable oil finish is the way I will go after the frame is up and enclosed for a while.

Karl Hines

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: kfhines] #13983 01/19/08 02:08 PM
S
Scoots Offline
S
Ok, I agree we need to oil our timbers, my question is when in the construction process. I put up a small frame 3 days after oiling the timbers with Land Ark last summer. The oil looked beautiful, but all of the foot and hand prints and strap marks did not. I soon realized that you cannot sand these imperfections out after the timbers are oiled. So here is my question...is it a better idea to put the frame up first, then do touch up sanding and then oil? Maybe just oil rafters and timbers hard to get to before the raising? What do you professionals think?

Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: Scoots] #13992 01/19/08 09:57 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I only oil if they twist my arm realy hard. Tim

Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: Scoots] #13999 01/20/08 07:33 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Wash your hands and clean your boots, Scoots wink

I'm going with Mark on the stain right after plane plan (I'm a freekin' poet today...!) The planed wood will take the stain nicely, better than sanded wood.
But let the stain sit for longer than just a few days - give it at least a week. Longer if it's oil. You'll find that prints will wipe off better without taking all the stain with it.

As for rotting from the inside out...unless you're wrapping the timbers with cellophane, I don't think that it's an issue. Hell, my mother has a gnarly old tree trunk coated with about an inch of varnish (70's hippy wanna-be art) and it's not rotted yet, unfortunately....

Re: Not another finishing question! [Re: Timber Goddess] #14026 01/22/08 02:08 AM
daiku Offline
Originally Posted By: Timber Goddess
As for rotting from the inside out...unless you're wrapping the timbers with cellophane, I don't think that it's an issue. Hell, my mother has a gnarly old tree trunk coated with about an inch of varnish (70's hippy wanna-be art) and it's not rotted yet, unfortunately....

That's my point, TG. I don't think a thin coat of varnish is going to seal a timber so well that it rots. Between the huge surface area of the timber and the checks, I just don't see it.

What are we hoping to accomplish with an oil finish? Are we protecting the timbers? From what? How long will it last until it dries up and needs to be reapplied? And then how much fun will it be to reapply to the inside of a finished house? CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users