Print Thread
Rate Thread
Careers in Timber Framing - Where to start? #14065 01/24/08 09:00 PM
C
Capone Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Greetings,

I have always had a passion for timber frame structures, however I never considered pursuing a career in this industry until now.

My goal is to develop a better understanding of this industry as a whole so I can determine where my talents and skills can be best utilized. My educational background is a B.S. Mechanical Engineering however; I have been working as a Sales Engineer for the past 6 years. While I have enjoyed continued success in my current position, I am considering making a change.

My first question is whether there is a demand for technical sales representatives within this industry? I hope to capitalize on my strengths in business development, building/maintaining long-term relationships and technical abilities in an environment that is in line with my passions for woodworking and engineering.

Secondly, does anyone have recommendations as to the best path I can take to pursue a position in project management? Would additional education such as a Masters in Civil Engineering or general work experience through apprenticeships, training, etc be more beneficial?

All suggestions and information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike S.

Re: Careers in Timber Framing - Where to start? [Re: ] #14100 01/26/08 01:46 AM
C
Capone Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey Derek,

I'm not currently a member... yet. I was just reading through the benefits pages before I checked this thread. Signing up is definitely my next step.

Do you (or anyone else reading this post) have any information on the upcoming western conference in ID? I was considering attending however; I didn't see any information or sign-up links.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Careers in Timber Framing - Where to start? [Re: Capone] #14495 03/06/08 03:01 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
If you do make it to the western conference, get together with Jim DeStefano (he'll be teaching at the conference). He's one of the leading engineers in the guild and should have invaluable advise on your next step.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users