Mississippi Timber Framing Workshop- March 7-12th

A two-part timber framing workshop will be held in southern Mississippi taught by Jim Rogers (yes, that Jim Rogers who you all know from the Forum). The workshop will begin with an extended weekend introduction followed by additional days during the following week devoted to more in-depth subjects. The basic idea of such a two-part workshop is to include people who may be able to only take off one day from work, although Jim tells me that even someone showing up later Friday or real early on Saturday will get the basics. The hands-on introduction to the fundamentals of laying out and cutting joints will start at 8 am Friday morning (with a quick review on Saturday morning) continuing with practice and execution instruction all day Saturday and Sunday morning. Later Sunday afternoon and evening will be an informal gathering with catered BBQ and a campfire for those who stay till dark; lots of Southern tea and coffee, but sorry, no beer or wine allowed as we live in a “dry” county and an even “drier” house. The Sunday gathering is open to anyone who wants to come and join in. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, those with the time, inclination and dedication will finish building bents for a small workshop that will be erected on-site (16’X12’ enclosed with 16’X12’ covered wings/sheds on either side, two story in the middle with 12’ walls).

Location of the workshop and Sunday evening gathering is Mathias Hollow Farm located just outside Purvis and about 10 miles from Hattiesburg, MS. Directions will be provided or you can go to mapquest and enter “7 Mathias Hollow, Purvis, MS 39475” and get a map plus directions. Attendees will receive a reference book to study before the workshop, notes that will summarize key topics, and of course, lots of hands-on experience. The cost for the Friday-Sunday introductory segment will be less that that for those starting on Friday and staying on through Wednesday evening. Prices are meant to just cover expenses- email me for more information. Jim suggests 6-8 attendees for the full workshop (Friday through Wednesday) while several more could be accommodated for the extended weekend. We already have firm reservations for 3 attendees for the full workshop, so space is available for 3-5 others. Sorry this is somewhat late notice- turns out it’s not easy finding both a good time for the workshop and the instructor, and mid-March should be great weather for working outside on joints and assembly. However, I am putting finishing touches on our “big barn,” which has 30’X60’ enclosed and covered area with a nice flat concrete floor and 12’ ceilings for use by attendees, so most of the instruction and cutting will probably be done there. More information on what you need to bring and logistics of the workshop will be provided to those who sign up. My email address is lon.mathias@yahoo.com or you can call 601-307-8508.

Been sawing part-time for five years, starting to learn timber framing