Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Drywall [Re: CarlosCabanas] #14409 02/24/08 11:40 PM
B
BB Offline
B
Why not just screw the sheetrock to the outside first then screw the sheathing on over that? You would only need the spacers if you wanted it sheathed before you rocked. BB

Re: Drywall [Re: CarlosCabanas] #14418 02/25/08 11:11 PM
brad_bb Offline
$1.15 doesn't sound bad at all compared to new sawn timber prices up here. I've been collecting reclaim when I can find it for .60/BD FT or less. Yes I have found some good deals. I will have some sanding and resawing costs to some extent, but I figure If It's $1.30/BDFT or less after refinishing, I'm still making out well. It is more work.
I picture it being humid in Belize(Is it?). I'd want to get out of that with some A/C. Your guests might want that comfort after a fun day on the water or at night when they are sleeping. Something to consider.

Re: Drywall [Re: brad_bb] #14422 02/26/08 04:37 AM
CarlosCabanas Offline OP
OP Offline
Brad

I never said that we won't have AC... I said that insulation probably isn't worth the cost. You close the windows and doors and turn the AC on!! What's probably more important than insulation is shade from the direct sun as far as energy concerns!!

Carlos

I cut it twice, and it's still too short!!
Re: Drywall [Re: CarlosCabanas] #14428 02/27/08 11:35 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Living in a northern climate, I have often wondered about AC and insulation. I have always assumed it would be just as important to insulate in the south. It takes energy to cool your house just as it takes energy to heat the house. So why not insulate and save cash on the energy bill, it will pay back over time.

How about an adobe infill system, just skip the sheathing all together. Go natural, organic, it the way of the future. Is this a traditional building method in your part of the world? Tim

Re: Drywall [Re: TIMBEAL] #14429 02/27/08 02:05 PM
CarlosCabanas Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree completely. It is just as important to insulate for air as for heating. However as I stated the difference in temperature between the outdoors and how much we want to cool is at most... in the summer about 20°c. So the amount of energy lost is minimal compared to in Canada where the difference can be 60°+. What is more important is the sealing of drafts. Often in Canada or the states we make air tight homes and then put lots of little holes that we don't seal properly. The cost of materials here can be very prohibative. What is adobe????? wattle and daub? wood chips with clay? I have decided to sheath directly on the frame with plywood and then build a wall inwards with 2x4's. I will probably but the studs at 2' rather than 16 inches, but it does leave me an option for insulation.

Carlos

Re: Drywall [Re: CarlosCabanas] #14431 02/28/08 04:58 AM
mo Offline
Carlos, The reason I don't like the rafter to rafter connection is because it seems weak in the face of strong winds. I have no engineering degree or anything like that. But it seems that if you could take two scenarios. One being the Sobon Shed you have pictured and the other a frame with kingpost, principal rafter, and ridge. The second having bracing running from kingpost to ridge. If one of those storms came I would "feel" safer under the one that has bracing.

I hear you on the sun and shade thing. My mother never turned on the AC until it reached 95 degrees F with a 90% Humidity. Had to learn how to open the proper windows just enough to create wind tunnels. Combined with shade and you can manage. smile

Re: Drywall [Re: ] #14463 03/05/08 03:06 AM
CarlosCabanas Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not very familiar with plaster. What can you tell me about how and where and what ....???

Re: Drywall [Re: CarlosCabanas] #14464 03/05/08 10:25 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Carlos, having been to Fox Maple you have seen some examples of infill and plaster, why not adopt those methods? What are some vernacular building methods used in Belize? Tim

Re: Drywall [Re: TIMBEAL] #14475 03/05/08 04:08 PM
CarlosCabanas Offline OP
OP Offline
Unfortunately I didn't take the infill course. So, yes I have seen different infills but I<m not really sure about how to apply them. Fox Maple is mostly done with clay... is that a form of plaster. The only plaster I have ever used is plaster of paris. Most things here are done in cement. There are beautiful thatch roofs however.... but mostly on open structures (palapas) or stick buildings. Vernacular here is use what ever you can find to build a shack.... not really something I want to emulate. Not saying they can't offer other ideas... Anyone want to give me a quick how to with plaster?

Carlos

Re: Drywall [Re: CarlosCabanas] #14486 03/06/08 12:13 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
You can plaster with mortar, sand/lime/cement or sand/lime/clay.
It needs to go on something sticky, like metal mesh or wood lathe. Just plaster it on, very easy to get in on the wall, just trowel it on. a trowel with rounded edges is used by the strawbalers around here.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users