Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: power drill and bit [Re: daiku] #15320 05/02/08 07:32 PM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Hey Daiku, ditto w details:
Being able to resist the drill's torque while staying safely balanced and using your weight to push and guide the bit into the wood requires good equipment, a VERY safe set-up, and concentration. Safety first, be careful.
I have the 2 speed, Fwd & Rev Milwaukee Hole Hawg and I love it, use it often in many applications. I've never had it lack the torque necessary for any bit into any material. It's well balanced and will get into some pretty tight spaces, e.g. between 16" oc studs with a 6" long auger bit in the chuck. It comes with a 3/4" x 12" pipe handle w rubber grip that screws in quickly to either side, plus it has a "spade" handle over the head of the motor that will swivel and lock into convenient detents. ALWAYS put on the pipe handle and USE it, weight on both feet, cord lead directly back from the work, eye protection as necessary, sharp & straight bit etc. If the object you're drilling isn't fixed or sufficiently heavy, then clamp it securely. Better to have pipe handle stopped by some immoveable structural object, save your strength for something else. That being said, I use mine (for 27+ yrs) with 2 hands most of the time, have used it while on ladders and scaffolding too. Not a tool for a lightweight, inexperienced operator.
Milwaukee makes a 3/8" rt angle 120v drill for c $190. I've considered it, but haven't needed it soo bad.... no opinion based on experience.
I also have a Milwaukee 1/2" D-handle drill Fwd & Rev, with a "Right Angle Kit" that you slide and clamp onto the drive end after removing the chuck. It has a short (c. 5") second handle for around the bit end. This set-up is call the "plumber's kit". It is very good for getting into tight places with augers and holesaws and the "plumber's bit kit" (self-feed bits & augers). The short handle is not as reliable a holder against unwanted drill and wrist (not bit) rotation as the 12" pipe. Same precautions for this one. I've had this one for 30+ yrs, now use it when I need a 2nd HD 1/2" drill on the job. These Milwaukee tools, made in Brookfield WI, are heavy duty, well balanced, very tough, comfortable to use, w parts still available. They are cool running and are for professionals, and are excellent long term investments. Yes, they have cords, but after putting down a cordless, I am soothed and pleased to feel the power and speed, smoothness and accuracy of all my Milwaukee tools. I have from Milwaukee: 3/8" pistol hammerdrill, 1/2" pistol hammerdrill, 2 Sawzalls (40+ yrs & 15 yrs), 2 screw-shooters, bench grinder, 1/2" HD Rotary Hammer for heavy drilling into masonry and for light demo work, and a 20+yr old cordless driver for very light, tight work.
I tried a combo pac of cordless Milw tools 1.5 yrs ago and returned them - poor quality, low power, etc, most made in China. Bad investment for many reasons. My made in USA Milwaukee tools will still be going strong after a few generations of "offshore" tools have been sent to landfills.
Maybe too much info...? But you get my opinion, based on experience. I also own and highly appreciate my tools from Mafell, Porter-Cable, Skil, Makita, select DeWalt cordless tools, my Delta Unisaw, plus heavy cast-iron machinery which I bought used - 20" Davis & Wells bandsaw (1940s Los Angeles), and 12" Fay & Egan joiner (1930s Cincinnati).
N.B. I did get my 40 y.o. sawzall for $35 used, from a friend who needed money ( his mom later told me it might have been "a little warm..." Since we were both Boy Scouts together, this was an eye opener for me!) Used tools, selected carefully, can be a good choice. And I love my 1959 Ford 671 farm tractor w Select-o-Speed transmission, an American classic!
Steve

Shine on!
Re: power drill and bit [Re: Waccabuc] #15439 05/15/08 12:55 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Just came across this..

I concour that Milwakee's Hole Hawg is the best choice. I know a few electricians who swear by it. They drill through stuff all day and need reliability. Ask an electrician or plumber...these trades drill through stuff more than us wood guys do...

Don

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

plumbers & electricians [Re: OurBarns1] #15477 05/19/08 05:07 PM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Don, yes and WATCH and GUIDE those subs to protect our beautiful, intact Timbers! Show them and insist they go around instead of drilling through timberframes. Young, strong, gung-ho apprentices are often given drilling duties - you know the same ones who don't know about leverege, balance, pacing themselves, nor their own strength - often break tool handles or bury their vehicle to its axles in mud!
I found it best to work w the same subs, who could learn some new SOPs re TFs.
Steve

Shine on!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users