Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
plank walls #14583 03/11/08 11:34 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
In the latest issue of Timber Framing #87 the authors of "Basic Design Issues in Timber Frame Engineering II" left out planks in their list of Shearwalls. They mentioned horizontal and vertical sheathing nailed to the frame. I have just finished a plank house using 2-1/2" thick planks with pegs in the edges, a very rigid building I must say. Has anyone seen a test on plank house frames? My test is under way. Tim

Re: plank walls [Re: TIMBEAL] #14630 03/14/08 01:19 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi Timbeal:

I personally have never seen a test other than the test of time.

A few years ago, I examined a one room school house here in Dundas County Ontario Canada that was constructed in 1872. The frame was vertical 2"+thick by 12" planks. This building is still in excellent condition and is being used as a residential home presently.

At that time I did extensive research and I came up with the original document that dealt with its construction. It makes for very interesting study if you are into that type of thing.

Some of the interesting details were:

-- the dovetailling of the centre cross floor member into the side sills to stop any outward movement of the sill sideways.
--the shingles to be were tarred after application
--The vertical planks on the two side walls and the back wall were covered with vertical pine board and batt as a weather shield
--The planks were fastened in place using 4" wrought iron spikes
--The front wall was covered with horizontal feather edged boards hand planed and painted with good lead paint.

Everything was included in this 3 page document including the price at that time it made very good study material, and the document itself could have been used to exactly replicate this structure. The only thing left out though was how the frame was raised.

I sort of think that the walls with the vertical plank attached was raised one segment at a time, maybe someone could shine some light on what the sequence might have been.

Hope you enjoy

NH

Re: plank walls [Re: northern hewer] #14653 03/17/08 08:43 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
NH, was the 3 page document an original work order, and is it possible to get a copy of such document. That would be of great interest to some folks I know in the plank wall world. Tim

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users