Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Engineering, codes, loads #14659 03/18/08 03:45 PM
brad_bb Offline OP
OP Offline
It's time for me to start designing my timberframe workshop and I need some direction as to how to determine the loads -snow, live etc. I need to apply when determining loading at each joint and thus be able to size each memeber and their joints and pegging. I am a mechanical engineer, but this is my first TF design. Of course a licensed engineer in my state (preferably with TF experience) will check my work.
How do I determine the loading on my frame? I have heard of the IBC. Do I need to buy a book? Is it specific to my area(Illinois)?
Just FYI, I am currently planning on a 30X48 clearspan workshop space with 11.5 foot ceiling. A full second floor above with 3' knee walls on the sides(posted cape style bent). I have to work out the calculations and sizing to see if I can do this and what size timbers etc.

Last edited by brad_bb; 03/18/08 03:47 PM.
Re: Engineering, codes, loads [Re: brad_bb] #14665 03/19/08 01:31 PM
CarlosCabanas Offline
Brad

All the info is in Steve's book. You just need to find out the codes for your area and then calculate the live and dead loads based on the area of your roof and what you plan on doing with your second floor. I know you want a living space so the load shouldn't be that great. It's a lot of work figuring out all the different weights and adding them up. I'm sure building engineer's have some sort of book of average loads.

Carlos

I cut it twice, and it's still too short!!
Re: Engineering, codes, loads [Re: ] #14669 03/19/08 06:08 PM
brad_bb Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, Carlos, the timberframe workshop book has the basic principles, but not many examples. As an ME, I am familiar with shear stresss, deflection etc calculations. Fortunately I can also rely on my statics to figure all the loading on the beams and therefore perform Sum of forces equal to zero at all the joints. What I don't have is the loading required(by code, snow load etc). That's what I need direction on. I will account for the weight and weight distribution of materials that act upon the frame as well, like the flooring, weight of beams, roof system etc etc. So I'm hoping that a TF engineer/designer will read this and direct me as to what to use or where to find what to use for snow load, etc etc.

Re: Engineering, codes, loads [Re: ] #14670 03/19/08 06:09 PM
brad_bb Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, Carlos, the timberframe workshop book has the basic principles, but not many examples. As an ME, I am familiar with shear stresss, deflection etc calculations. Fortunately I can also rely on my statics to figure all the loading on the beams and therefore perform Sum of forces equal to zero at all the joints. What I don't have is the loading required(by code, snow load, floor loads etc). That's what I need direction on. I will account for the weight and weight distribution of materials that act upon the frame as well, like the flooring, weight of beams, roof system etc etc. So I'm hoping that a TF engineer/designer will read this and direct me as to what to use or where to find what to use for snow load, etc etc.

Re: Engineering, codes, loads [Re: brad_bb] #14673 03/20/08 01:08 AM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Snow loads are usually easily found through calling your building permit department of your town. Or you can look online for your area in your state government files.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users