Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sketchup TF Model Assistance [Re: daiku] #14384 02/23/08 01:01 AM
A
Alpmeadow Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Guys This is helping to clear some of the mystery,(but as you dig deeper, well you know what happens). Please find my xbeam again, but with the arris and pocket guideline reference transferred directly into the shop drawing. I believe it helps me to see the arris and guideline transferred to each view for reference. In the shop I lose grip with which way is NEWS and top & bottom. Sorry it will take me awhile to think like a timberframer?
Have a Great Day
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Alpine Meadows Lodge & Woodlot
Golden BC
2001 Kicking Horse TF Bridge a great experience!
Re: Sketchup TF Model Assistance [Re: Alpmeadow] #14391 02/23/08 03:12 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Hey Irv,I admire your efforts at developing stick drawings and I have worked with compass bearings as keys to position in my early efforts. However, I have used a grid coordinate system ie bents numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. and post position A, B, C etc. So each post is labeled by coordinate such as 1C or 3D, bent girts such as A2B or C4D, connecting girts 1B2 and so on.

The simple method of managing the information is a plan view drawing that represents the frame, the gird and the reference scheme, rather than many independent stick drawings. When you cull through the stacks prior to layout mark timber for crown and earmark location. When the girt timber is on the horses place crown up, then select reference faces and tick mark and hold the plan over the timber so the side reference is in the same orientation as on the plan and the timber, mark post ends and away you go. In a similar manner, you can control reference planes on any piece.

Good luck

Re: Sketchup TF Model Assistance [Re: Roger Nair] #14392 02/23/08 03:58 AM
A
Alpmeadow Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Roger
A simple TF shed sure seems to have alot of wood so marking my A,B,C's & Roman I,II,III's shouldn't be too much trouble. It's measuring thrice and cutting within the lines that I'm worried about. Over 30 years ago I remember Seneca Rock, & Greenbrier areas of WVirginia. We were there discovering big cave systems, exploring & mapping. It was a great time.
Cheers from Canada
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Alpine Meadows Lodge & Woodlot
Golden BC
2001 Kicking Horse TF Bridge a great experience!
Re: Sketchup TF Model Assistance [Re: daiku] #14710 03/21/08 04:40 PM
B
Blue Offline
B
Hey Clark,

This is Blue. What a GREAT class in Minneapolis! Actually, it's the best learning experience I have had since 1987 when Prof. I. H. Marshall lectured about the epigraphic evidence for Diapora synagogues in Dura Europas!

I have attempted to install the RubyScripts (on a Mac OS 10.4.11); however, they do not appear in the Pluggins menu in SketchUp. When I installed, I did so manually, i.e., dragging the files from the tf_ruby_scripts folder (on the desktop) into a folder (I created) in the SketchUp application folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Blue

Brad Blue, Minnesota
Re: Sketchup TF Model Assistance [Re: Blue] #14711 03/21/08 04:43 PM
daiku Offline
Hi Blue.

Yeah, it was a great class. The Eric's and I had a great time too. The rubies need to go in a folder called plugins that already exists where your sketchup application was installed. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Sketchup TF Model Assistance [Re: daiku] #14712 03/21/08 04:46 PM
B
Blue Offline
B
gottit. Thanks.

Now it's time to draw!

Brad Blue, Minnesota
Page 2 of 2 1 2