Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How much experience did you have? #1474 03/10/05 08:29 PM
C
Chip Burwell Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm wondering how much experience in timber framing most people have when they start their own timber framing business. Can those of you who have started your own business share with the rest of us just how much experience you had, where you got it, etc? Did you have other construction businesses going before the timber framing? ie were you a general contractor who's gc biz grew into timber framing, or did you just go straight into timber framing. How many people did a formal or informal apprenticeship? Thanks for your input. Chip

Re: How much experience did you have? #1475 03/10/05 09:09 PM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Chip,

These are interesting questions and I'm sure you'll receive many different answers. My wife and I formed our business (Bear Dance Joinery) when she had almost three years of TF experience and I had almost two. That time was spent working at a couple of large shops where we participated in cutting several frames. After we formed our company, most of our early jobs were itinerant positions working for other timberframers. Over the years, this has continued to represent a large part of our business, though we do cut our own frames here in Virginia or at clients' sites. I think that when thinking about starting your own business, your experience becomes less important than your motivation. I know some framers that had very little experience before striking out on their own, but they had serious motivation, a willingness to learn, and even a willingness to work for less money while they learned. Starting and running your own company is more than a full time job. If this is a path you are thinking about exploring, make sure that you have a strong sense of dedication and focus.

Good luck,
Bob

Re: How much experience did you have? #1476 03/11/05 12:40 PM
B
Bob Offline
B
My experience was a bit different from Bob Smiths. I was previously working in the construction industry, half in residential and half in commercial construction. From high school I worked a year in construction and then moved on to college where I majored in construction management and minored in engineering. After college I returned to construction where I worked for an additional fifteen years. One of the most beneficial things was having spent time in many areas including steel, concrete, and wood. All these worked to my benefit when starting my timber framing business. While in college I had a year of accounting, surveying, estimating, contracts, scheduling, project management, concrete, wood, and steel structures, etc. All of this worked to my benefit. Although I worked under a timber framer with 18 years experience for only about 6 months the switch was fairly easy. I have talked with other timber framers that have in other experience in construction and as a result have no real good knowledge of how the timber frame and the remainder of the house work together. Having a good working knowledge of whole house construction is important. Not necessary but a big benefit. The other item that has been beneficial is my minor in engineering. With out questions I use a registered engineer for my work but having a knowlege of the formulas and how they work and what the numbers represent has been great. Well I need to quit rambling and get to work so .......

Re: How much experience did you have? #1477 03/11/05 05:15 PM
daiku Offline
I have to wholeheartedly agree with Bob Smith. Some experience is necesssary, but you can go and get yourself some of that. Enthusiasm and motivation are things you will absolutely need, and there's only one place to find those. Dedication to producing the highest quality product is what will create satisfied clients, which in turn will create a sucessful business.

I was an ameteur timber framer for 7 years before I quit my engineering job and took the plunge -- one of the best decisions I ever made. I agree with the other Bob that the engineering background is helpful. Although it would certainly have been useful, I had no professional building experience, but not having it hasn't been an obstacle.

Good luck to you, Chip.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: How much experience did you have? #1478 03/11/05 05:54 PM
D
Dave Petrina Offline
D
I just left my engineering job of 15 years in Oct 2004 to start up a timber frame company. I definately fall into the enthusiasm category. I built my own timber frame a few years ago after reading Tedd Benson's book and got the bug. Since then, I have read everything I can get my hands on about timber framing. I've been fortunate enough to land a couple of small cabins to build. No looking back.

Dave

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users