Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hello, New Member here #14822 03/29/08 05:08 PM
The WoodButcher Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everybody, I'm new here. I have owned a portable sawmill for about two years now. I would love to get into timberframing. I have been planing on sawing out some shop kits for the DIY's around here. I would rather make some timberframe kits. Can you all tell me what tools I should gather first? Also maybe soomeone could point me to a good book or two. Hope to get to know and become friends with many of you all.
Thanks and Have a Great day

Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: The WoodButcher] #14833 03/30/08 10:48 AM
OP Offline
Wow, you guys are just too friendly. Oh well I got along fine before comming here and I'll do just fine Not comming back any more. Most unfriendly forum I've been to yet. Really not even a welcome?
God Bless and Good bye.

Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: The WoodButcher] #14834 03/30/08 01:39 PM
daiku Offline
Let's see. You posted at noon yesterday, a saturday, and then at 5am this morning you get frustrated and leave. So you basically gave us half a saturday (during march madness, no less) to reply to your post. This board is not ARWW -- it averages maybe 4-5 posts a day. Lots of newbies get lots of expert advice here, from knowlegeable folks who are generous with their time. Settle down, and try again (without the attidtude). We are a freindly bunch if given a chance. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: daiku] #14835 03/30/08 03:34 PM
OP Offline
Whatever, 36 views and not one hello or welcome, just chastizing. BTW I don't have any attidtude that I didn't gain from here. And You my friend, just add to it. I asked a simple question and you won't even answer that one question. Thanks for ALL your help.

Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: The WoodButcher] #14836 03/30/08 04:18 PM
A
Alpmeadow Offline
A
Welcome woodbutcher!
I am a new member of this forum and have been helped (most times) with my posts. I have a woodlot and woodmizer mill and have joined the TFG as a member to learn and experience timberframing. Gotta a long way to go. However if your experience here is not what you want there is another forum which helps newbies like me and this post shows a list of tools, prepared by Jim(who is a great contributor on this forum also).
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,6403.0.html
I hope this helps
Cheers
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Alpine Meadows Lodge & Woodlot
Golden BC
2001 Kicking Horse TF Bridge a great experience!
Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: Alpmeadow] #14838 03/30/08 07:57 PM
CarlosCabanas Offline
Welcome

i do think you jumped the gun a little. The 36 views may not have even been registered members!! Anyway some say all you need is a mallet and a chisel. Others like to move things along at a more reasonable pace and for that.... Chain mortiser and a larger circular saw are important.. other than that you probably have the rest of the tools nessicary.... framing square, exacto knife.

My favorite book is "A Timber Framer's Workbook" by Steve Chappell

Use the search tool on the forum and you will find a ton of info!!

good luck,
Carlos

I cut it twice, and it's still too short!!
Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: The WoodButcher] #14840 03/31/08 01:54 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Hi there woodbutcher, if you're still there that is...
a good tool on the forums is the search engines we have. One is at the top of this page. try searching tools, books or whatever you're interested in, you may find some answers there, as there are many old posts to read through. General questions on books and tools often come up, so everybody doesn't jump in to answer one more....
Another search engine is located here.

Last edited by Mark Davidson; 03/31/08 01:56 AM. Reason: syntax
Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: Mark Davidson] #14841 03/31/08 10:52 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I am not sure where to start.

I just picked up the guilds green book Timber Frame Joinery and Design volume 2. I particularly liked Sobons tips on short cuts and the bit on sap wood. That is a book. And here is a tool. Stanley's Sharp saw, I call it a shark saw because of the picture on the cover. I will even add a tip too, find one with 8 or 9 TPI. I am not sure why the stores stock the fine ones, I am always grumbling over that. Or a even better saw is the Docking saw, they can't be found new, you need to keep your eyes open as they are elusive but well worth it. Once you have found that saw learn how to sharpen it yourself, don't risk sending it out, and you will learn more by doing it yourself. Where did the green letters come from? Tim

Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: TIMBEAL] #14845 03/31/08 01:13 PM
D
DKR Offline
D
You live in the neck of the woods where there are a ton of timber frame companies. You will learn a ton if you sign up for a week-long introductory class. They're going to tell you to bring a 1.5 barr chisel, a mallet, squares, maybe calipers, and pencils. Then after you come home, you'll probably want a 2" chisel, a nice hand saw, and a couple of good planes. You can do a lot of this work without power tools, for example you can use a boring machine to cut the mortices. However, most starting out today buy circular saws, sanders, big drills, planers, etc. Then you'll need straps and rigging to raise your frames. And it's more than just tools. If you are selling these frames to put up most places, your timbers have to be stamped by a grader, and you'll need an engineer stamp for your plans. Sobon and Benson books are where most people start these days. Do an Amazon search. They aren't hard to find.

Re: Hello, New Member here [Re: DKR] #14846 03/31/08 01:31 PM
brad_bb Offline
I don't check the boards much on Friday and Saturday due to the low activity. Every body is either getting ready for the wekeend or out doing work already and too tired to check the board on Sat night typically. Makes sense. All I can say is - Wow! I guess he's gone already, so I don't have to welcome him or address his question. Someone with so little patience probably doesn't have the patience for timberframing, eh?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users