Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: Timber Goddess] #15017 04/09/08 11:49 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I'm not trying to be a wet rag here, but I think we should keep to the topic for the most part. Even if you don't consider hijacking rude, you have to admit that it doesn't add much to the exchange of information.

Let's try to keep the casual conversation in its place and keep our replies to questions on-topic. That way the search tool isn't rendered useless because 30, 40 or 50% of the replies have nothing to do with the original post.

I hope people don't hate me now.

Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: ] #15022 04/09/08 01:55 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Derek & Christina,

Regretably you have managed to lose me as well and thus I tend to agree with Gabel about trying to stay on track.

The difficulty that I am experiencing in trying to understand the line and relevance of some of your posts might simply be a question of familiarty with a personal style to which I am not accustomed and hence I confess that sometimes I can find it a little difficult to understand and follow exactly what it is that you are trying to say.

Please don't take umbridge with me or Gabel.

You have a lot to contribute.

Best Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: Gabel] #15025 04/09/08 03:04 PM
daiku Offline
No, I don't hate you, Gabel. In fact, I'm a big fan! See you next week. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: Gabel] #15034 04/09/08 09:31 PM
brad_bb Offline
I'm with you Gabel. I got lost too when the chatter started. The topic was Doug Fir-Green vs. Traditional KD vs. RFKD and grade selection.

Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: ] #15058 04/10/08 10:44 PM
R
Rgator Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Gabel,Ken,Brad,Will B,Collin, thanks.

Dereck, or should I refer to you as Mr.Swanger, Sir? - WOW, what was all that?

Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: Rgator] #15181 04/21/08 06:00 PM
J
Jon Shaw Offline
J
Rgator,

Where in Maryland are you building? I'm building a TF house in western Howard County.

I used DF for my frame. I don't have the breadth of experience that many here have, but I'll pass along what I'[ve learned.

First, steer clear of standing dead DF. I was lured in by the thought of using an environmentally friendly product, as well as the claims of highly stable timbers. What I got were extremely green timbers, full of wane/rot/wood borers. Even properly stacked, those timbers twisted and bowed like heck. A large portion of them ended up being unusable. That one purchase resulted in such a gigantic waste of time and money that it makes me ill just thinking about it. (BTW, their sample was beautiful, clear, and dry as a bone.)

I purchased the second half of my timbers from Reliance Specialty Building Products. I was extremely pleased with both the level of customer service and the quality of the timbers. I ordered "DF, Kiln-dried to approx 19% MC 1" from surface, S4S to full dimensions, #1btr FOHC no wane, select for appearance."

I certainly agree with others that this material is a little hard to work, but I didn't find it THAT difficult. I've been working these timbers by myself over a period of 14 months. Because of that, I needed timbers that were a bit more stable. I wanted to have some level of confidence that these timbers will fit together when the time comes.

If the timbers were going from chisel to frame in a couple of weeks, I could see where green timbers would have an appeal.

I've got plenty of scraps around, if you want to get an idea what the actual product (and not a selected sample) is like.

Jon

Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: Jon Shaw] #15185 04/21/08 11:15 PM
R
Rgator Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Jon, I am in northern Baltimore county. Check your Private messages.

Ron

Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: ] #15228 04/24/08 06:23 PM
J
Jon Shaw Offline
J
You forgot to mention what car is best for driving across country to visit the forest.

Visiting the forest and mill sounds like a great idea, though I doubt that it would ensure the quality of the timbers you would receive. Great road trip though, if you had money and time to burn. (A small percentage of the overall budget is still a big number.) When I was preparing my house foundation, and ordering tools/materials for the frame, both time and money were precious commodities. Even so, I was prepared to take the 2000+ mile trip out west.

But, choosing my own logs was not an option, at least through the company I choose. I tried to arrange a trip to inspect the timbers prior to shipment. Even that was problematic, since they could not give me more than a couple days of notice and couldn’t hold the timbers for my review. The mill made it clear that I would be taking my chances, and that it was very unlikley that I would show up at a time when the timbers were available for inspection. Make of that what you will.

I think, in practical terms, the approach you suggest is viable if you are using locally grown timbers. If you are using timber grown on the other side of the country, you pretty much have to trust the integrity of the mill to provide what they say they'll provide.

As far as being “lured”, that may have been a poor choice of words. Thanks for pointing that out.

I liked the idea of not cutting a few dozen live trees for use in my frame. I also liked the idea of using timbers that had partially dried on-the-stump. I willingly paid a premium for those two factors. But, the timbers I got were green. They certainly were not dry/stable, as advertised, and I wonder if they were dead prior to the chainsaw.

I am just trying to pass my experience along to anyone considering standing dead timbers. They should know that what they advertise is not always what they deliver.

Of course, if you can be on hand as the crew selects, fells, and mills your timbers, that’s the best way to know what you’re getting.

Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: Jon Shaw] #15761 06/05/08 12:16 AM
B
bloveland Offline
B
if you were, initially, trying to be environmentally friendly why not use locally harvested materials. East coast timber is gourgeous , close by and a hell of alot more pleasurable to work with than DF. I am just not as enamored with DF or at all as other TFers seem to be. How about an oak or white pine or cypress or anything that isn't pink?

with love to the status quo.

Re: Doug Fir - Green or Dry?? [Re: bloveland] #15762 06/05/08 02:56 AM
J
Jon Shaw Offline
J
I wanted to use white oak. My wife wanted douglas fir. So we compromised...... and used douglas fir!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users