Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is a character Timber? #15263 04/29/08 01:26 PM
A
Alpmeadow Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Greetings
At the western conference, one delegate referred to the value of character logs. We have a woodlot and want to learn how to describe and select character logs, that may milled into feature TF members. Are there some guidelines, sizes or types of logs that will work well?

The keynote presentation "Fearless timber Framing from Down Under" by Rob Hadden dubbed it "domestic sculpture" to embrace whatever his character logs threw at him.

Practically typical TF's, will have only a few timbers that show character. I really appreciate the guild for having Haddon as a feature speaker. Is it worth more discussion?
Thanks for your input and imagination!
Cheers
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Alpine Meadows Lodge & Woodlot
Golden BC
2001 Kicking Horse TF Bridge a great experience!
Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: Alpmeadow] #15272 04/29/08 11:02 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Irv, character logs is a new term to me but I have used them much in the past and present. A simple example to me would be the obvious crooks, crucks, bent trees. These are undesirable to the typical logger or sawmill. But to a Timber Framer they can be used with plesant results. Another character log which comes to mind is the small log, such as one which comes from thinning to improve the stand. I like to use these as rafters. They usually taper from top to bottom, the bottom being the butt, usually much wane is present. It was in an artical in TFing where Jack Sobon pointed out the fact you can boost your wood lot board footage by using these as you get some free footage in the wane. I hope this fits in with character timbers. Tim

Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: TIMBEAL] #15284 04/30/08 12:29 PM
A
Alpmeadow Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi Tim
I appreciate your input on "character logs", a general term I use, are there other, better terms?
From my reading, crucks are old style curved timbers in a A frame to support roof, where logs are often sliced down middle to get symmetry.
Usually logs are cut at the crook or to minimize sweep loss, however in TF, open interior tie beams or posts are potential use, I guess.
The only use of bent logs(two way sweeps) I can think of, can go into unique signs support, other than naturally curved braces?
I like the idea of small diameter tapered logs trimmed with wane exposed on sides for roof rafters.
I rather see these logs go into a frame rather than the waste firewood pile.
Still learning to be different!
Cheers
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Golden BC
Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: Alpmeadow] #15297 05/01/08 09:38 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
This past winter I bought a load of Red Oak fire wood and am still culling the better sticks now for framing. The 2 way sweeps are more involved, I haven't come up with a best use for them yet. Tim

Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: TIMBEAL] #15300 05/01/08 11:02 AM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Any shape timber can be used in a frame, below are some shots of timbers used in Jack Sobon's house:

And:

And the opposite side of the last post:

Also:

On the left you'll see a forked tree trunk, back to is Will Beemer of the guild, and at the end of the hall in the kitchen is Jack (with the straw hat on).

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: Jim Rogers] #15301 05/01/08 11:06 AM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
And just a couple more:

And:

And what really interested me was Jack's wooden door hinge:

and the bottom hinge:

I had to move the door to take the pictures, and it did squeak quite loudly, pivoting on those wooden pegs.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: Jim Rogers] #15306 05/01/08 01:37 PM
A
Alpmeadow Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey Jim
Those images are great for the imagination and inspiration needed to see how timbers can be used in their "character state". The more we see it and get a feeling for how it can be used, then we can envision the timbers being part of a TF project.

Starting off I have to be TF straight and square, but I don't mind identifying and taking pictures and inventory the character trees in our woodlot, and let us both in the meanwhile "grow into it".

That door sounds like "squeaky wheel" Would graphite help tone down the wooden hinge?
Cheers
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Golden BC
Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: Alpmeadow] #15325 05/02/08 08:32 PM
T
timber brained Offline
T
Great pics Jim. Thanks for sharing. You got to love and admire that guy for all he has accomplished in timber framing's ressurection. Would love to meet him some day. tb

Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: ] #15328 05/03/08 12:09 AM
A
Alpmeadow Offline OP
OP Offline
A
You're right Derek, timbers are the pretty stuff. The characters are usually the timber framers at the dull end of a sharp chisel whittling away at the trees outer charms.
Cheers
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Golden BC
Re: What is a character Timber? [Re: Jim Rogers] #15362 05/06/08 01:04 PM
T
toivo Offline
T
those timbers look pretty indeed. any thoughts or experiences on how how one would lay out curved timbers like those to hew/mill? would the crooks be cut on a chainsaw mill or what?

this is totally going to end up with some wild timbers in the backyard that will need a building built around them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users