Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hewed surface quality/differences #15266 04/29/08 05:08 PM
F
Francois Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hello,

I,m new to this group and very new to hewing. I have a single beveled hewing axe and also a double beveled one (1900 Granfors model i received by mistake..kept it as it looks very nice). Since the single beveled one is not ready yet (minor reshaping and sharpening needed) I decided to start with the double beveled model. I do my scoring and juggling with a scoring axe and the hewing qwith the hewing axe. However, it is very hard to make a flat surface with the double beveled broad axe. Rather it leaves a scalloped surface that i find very attractive. the scallops are very shallow. It looks rather like a sculpted flat surface, rather than a totally flat surface. However, is this totally non desirable? It is not as smooth as what i see that gets done with the standard broad axe, but I like the effect. Please some pros and cons.

By the way, I am totally new at this, and nobody in my family has any experience with this. So I've browsed a lot, read a lot, bought a few books on general axe work and beam work and will gladly take any advice. In the meantime, i consider my work as practise and the beams satisfy me for the time being. Luckily, from beam to beam, I see my improvements.

Thanks,

francois

Re: Hewed surface quality/differences [Re: Francois] #15267 04/29/08 06:19 PM
frwinks Offline
the nice thing about hewing IMO is that the beauty lies in the eye of the hewer cool.
I've hewed a few pcs now that some people might look at and think I have no clue what I'm doing (and that might be the case from certain anglesgrin)...but to me an my GF they have the look we're after so we're happy grin

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: Hewed surface quality/differences [Re: frwinks] #15268 04/29/08 10:26 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I know the look you are describing, and while I haven't seen anything quite like it on old timbers around here, I too think that it looks nice.

pros -- looks nice, uses the tool you have

cons -- perhaps may not be completely authentic for matching a specific style of hewing. (But unless that is what you are trying to do, who cares?)

Re: Hewed surface quality/differences [Re: Gabel] #15273 04/29/08 11:36 PM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
The funny thing is if you find a critic you can always get them to hew a log for you and see if they have any comments left! I think a double bevel would be inefficient. Check out McRaven's book and I think you really cant go wrong with a hewn timber smile

Re: Hewed surface quality/differences [Re: Bruce Chrustie] #15276 04/30/08 01:04 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi Francois:

I have included a reply in your other post that might help you form an opinion about what a hewn timber should look like in my opinion, and from the many hewn timbers that I have observed over the years.

I will post some hewing pictures on the "Historic buildings" thread you are welcome to drop by for a look

Good luck

NH

Re: Hewed surface quality/differences [Re: northern hewer] #15357 05/06/08 03:06 AM
T
toivo Offline
T
that is the finish that axe produces. i like it too- it makes the timber look sculptural. i think it's a good axe for a last, finishing pass- that's how i use it at least. being able to get your hand right up under the beard of the blade allows alot of control and you can get a really fine cut out of it. the gransfor axe seems harder to work for a first pass on a log though.

Re: Hewed surface quality/differences [Re: toivo] #15361 05/06/08 12:58 PM
T
toivo Offline
T
in terms of detractions from a scalloped finish, it means that it's necessary to used housed joints or at least plane the area around the joint flat, and that it's tough to use a circular saw in cutting the joinery. but then, if you're doing all that chopping a little push push with the handsaw feels like an easy time!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users