Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Planed or Rough timber #14680 03/20/08 04:26 PM
B
b-rad Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello all,
I am building my first timberframe this summer and want to know everyones opinion on whether or not I should have all my timbers planed or leave them rough. I don't mind the rough look but having never done one I don't know all of the pros and cons.

Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: b-rad] #14684 03/20/08 06:04 PM
brad_bb Offline
Personally I'd plane or sand them. My reasons would be so you're less prone to gettting splinters if you tough them and if smooth, they will collect less dust. I was looking through the archives the other day and on the last page of the timber engineering section is a good post about timberframe finishes. It would seem that certain oil finishes will remian tacky and pick up dirt, while other finish mixes will completely dry and not attract dirt and dust. Worth a read.
If you start with rough sawn, you can sand after you've cut the joinery and before you erect the frame, though perhaps more work than ordering planed material. I have talked to someone that used a floor drum sander to sand timbers, a method I've been wanting to try for about a year now on reclaimed rough sawn timbers. You set them up on the ground and walk the floor sander along the sides. With your joinery already cut, you need only be concerned with getting the things smooth.

Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: brad_bb] #14685 03/20/08 06:39 PM
CarlosCabanas Offline
If you sand after the joinery is cut you can have problems with the fit depending on how much you take off...

Personally I think it is better to finish the wood before cutting the joints

Carlos

I cut it twice, and it's still too short!!
Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: CarlosCabanas] #14686 03/20/08 06:43 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I almost always finish after joinery, but I use housings for everything. Layout is easier if the timbers are smooth, like a bandsawn surface rather than a circular sawn surface.

Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: Mark Davidson] #14688 03/20/08 11:10 PM
mo Offline
My opinion would be what is your opinion? Which look do you like better, the rough look or the planed look? I don't consider either one to be harder than the other to cut and assemble. The rough might be a little harder to lay-out and run a tool against, but not enough to change one's mind if they like the way the rough looks. It is not necessary to use a finish.

Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: mo] #14691 03/21/08 12:22 AM
A
Alpmeadow Offline
A
Golden Greetings
I would favor planed, for the reasons above plus rough timber absorbs a heck of alot more stain and more difficult to prepare and paint in rough form.
The timbers are a dust magnet and your wife or customer will appreciate it. Just take a vacuum dust bag, pour some on a sample timber rough then planed and try to clear it off each...
I think you will know your answer.
Cheers
alpmeadow

Irv Graham
Alpine Meadows Lodge & Woodlot
Golden BC
2001 Kicking Horse TF Bridge a great experience!
Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: Alpmeadow] #14703 03/21/08 11:18 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
b-rad, Is this structure your building a living space or out building? If its an out building, rough. If it is a home and a living space, sand. I like the look of the saw marks so a light sanding to ease the roughness, I have to tell the guys on the shop floor to sand less, they for some reason want to take it all they way to clean wood. If I wanted clean wood I would of planed the timbers. As for oils and such I think they are a pain in the neck, and don't use any thing. If the client wants it oiled or whatever, they do it or pay someone else. There is also the issue of how does the timber breath with it covered in oil. And in those high traffic areas where dirty hand often grab hold, Natrual Patina, even in your absence your still there. Everyone has their own view points, this is just a snippit of mine. Not right, or wrong just different. By the way Natrual Patina does not come in a can, China can't coppy it, and you can't find it on e-bay, and it is a time consuming application, you won't see the effects right away. Tim

Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: TIMBEAL] #14713 03/21/08 05:52 PM
B
b-rad Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well the customer happens to be my wife and she wants the timbers planed and I can't blame her. I think it will look sharp and will be a little easier to work with. Thanks for the input.

Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: b-rad] #15535 05/23/08 04:56 PM
C
cordwoodguy Offline
C
B-RAD.......PLANED IS STRONGER,ABSORBS LESS WATER SO MORE DURABLE AND EASIER TO CLEAN.

CORDWOODGUY

PLEASE EXCUSE THE UPPERCASE LETTERS AS I HAVE A VISUAL DISABILITY...SORRY!
Re: Planed or Rough timber [Re: cordwoodguy] #15570 05/26/08 04:02 AM
brad_bb Offline
You may also want to consider a roundover(Maybe 1/8 inch or more if you want) on the edges when you are done cutting, and a light sanding. I'm personally not a fan of sharp edges anywhere someone might touch. Can you tell I hate splinters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users