Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: TIMBEAL] #15851 06/10/08 09:00 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Tim

I was speculating about the jettys. Real estate is another good speculation for them... History clearly shows most colonists were less than OK w/ the mother country. They ultimately did chose to fight a war against England. But this is trivial.

As far as the list, I have not had a chance to add Ken's terms to the list. I'm still finding out what they mean!! We need a form that's readily accessible w/ terms common to most. When someone like Joel McCarthy dosen't even know what wealden is, we have an obscurity that likely should not be on a list.

As intended, the list I came up with [b]is [/b] for barns. And New England ones at that. I was thinking/hoping someone would add a "house list." But I'm not sure the interest is really there.

That 1860 parson's house sounds interesting. Why don't you come up w/ a list or use TTRAGs and see how it can be improved/added to?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: OurBarns1] #15889 06/14/08 01:44 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi everyone:

good topic and I am really learning some new terminology.

when I was active in building searches I always carried my 35mm camera, my video camera (which I could talk to), and a scratch pad to take notes on. We did not have so to speak a form to use.

I then at my leisure back at home base put together piece by piece a good plan for restoration purposes. It was very seldom that I did not have to return to gather additional information to clarify certain details.

One item that I noticed omitted from the form above was the type of nails used and details of the rafters as a reference

NH

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: northern hewer] #15893 06/14/08 08:53 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
One item that I noticed omitted from the form above was the type of nails used and details of the rafters as a reference

NH

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: OurBarns1] #15894 06/14/08 08:55 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
disregard that last post attempt. I'm still trying to learn how to quote folks.

NH:

Detective work on old buildings is kind of fun, isn't it? Thanks for perusing the barn list. We need one for houses. But I'm not the one to draft that I'm afraid. I like barns: nice and straightforward... owners often don't mind if you pull nails or take pictures. Their homes are a bit more private, you know?

Anyway I did include a line for nail info in the wall section. This should probably extend to the roofing section as well (???). And rafter details have a line or two in the roof section: Purlin or common rafter/ size/spacing, etc. are listed.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: OurBarns1] #15960 06/21/08 10:31 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Jettys in England were in style in the 15th and 16th century. They were a style that passed on, so by the time of major settlement here in the now U.S. the style had passed on. They were a sign of wealth as well, more cash more jettys. I was checking collar out in the book Discovering Timber-Framed Buildings by Richard Harris and came across Jetty.

On a historic note George Washingtons very own Mother was a loyal Brit to the end. She found it hard to understand why her lovely son could lead the troops in rebellion. She most likely took a neutral stance with the war, or could of found herself tarred and feathered.

Today is Margaretta Day here in Machias, home of the first Navel battle of the Revolutionary War. I was recruited to do some reenacting with a axe, my brother and I are hewing some timber and maybe a few tenons and a mortice or 2. Tim

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: TIMBEAL] #15963 06/21/08 02:07 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Tim,

You might well be a bit out on your dates re jettied buildings.

Please check out the following link where I have posted a picture of two double end jettied buildings standing side by side in Winchester, Hampshire - ancient capital of Wessex and headquarters for William the Conqueror.

The double jettied building on the left next to the butter cross has been dendro dated to 1347 with the adjacent rendered double jettied building being dendroed to 1507. The 1347 building is quite remarkable in that it was completed immediately before the arrival of the black death in 1348 which killed between one third and one half of Winchester's population.

http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk/pictures/otherpics/no 42 (1347) & 43 (1507) High St Winchester.jpg

Throwing things into the streets from upper storey windows is not really a practical proposition since these windows were fitted with fixed mullion bars and thus any "goop" thus launched would have hit the inside of the bars and then run down on the inside of the building. Yuk ! Clearly we did loose the American war of independance but we are not that stupid. George's mother might well have had a point.

I did make reference earlier to Abbott Lowell Cummings book in which it is clear that the building of jettied houses continued well into the 1600's i.e. 17th century in New England. I have seen jettied or overhung buildings in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: Ken Hume] #15964 06/21/08 02:11 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi,

I am sorry but the end of the web ref string reference above has been cut off and since the edit button doesn't work (yet - if ever) you will have to copy and paste the whole string above into your browser.

Ken

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: Ken Hume] #15965 06/21/08 02:17 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi,

Try this link (no spaces in string)

http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk/pictures/otherpics/no42(1347)&43(1507)HighStWinchester.jpg

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: Ken Hume] #15972 06/22/08 05:04 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ken and Tim:

We are getting off topic.

Ken, sorry but it happened. Please don't take offense. I was only speculating on jetty origin.

Sewage was indeed thrown into the street from second floor windows in England. here is a link and its accompanying text:

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/index.php?sectionid=87&contentid=117
Up to the 20th Century, human sewage could be put straight on the fields and gardens. It was called ‘night soil’ and in some places, the night soil man was employed to collect it and deal with it. This was still an improvement from Elizabethan times when the contents of pots were just thrown out of the window onto the street!

Also, this book deals w/ specifics regarding sewage hitting passersby, my theory on jettys:

http://books.google.com/books?id=BnC9Rzz...JYkmp0z9OLJvld4

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Building Survey Lists [Re: OurBarns1] #15977 06/22/08 11:26 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Hey it sounds like a new start is in the works and maybe we can stay better on topic with it.

I am not off with the dates, Richard Harris is. 100 years isn't that far off any way, and it still shows the point that they were in style before the colonization of the this land. there has to be some fudge room. I am not arguing there weren't jettied buildings, just not a lot?

No mater how you look at it, the black death and goop on your window mullions, it must of been a tough time to live. Tim

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users