Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Steeple on Church #15789 06/06/08 05:51 PM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
In Charleston, SC the church of St. John the Baptist is having a new steeple built. During the construction of the church some 100yrs ago the steeple was never added. In addition the plans were never found. In the present they want to add a steeple to the church. However the design calls for steel framing clad in copper.
They site in the article in this link, that the design had to incorporate hurricane force resistance (don't know how they quantify "resistance"). Anyway I wonder if it is possible to accomplish that with timbers and if the city even considered or knew if this was possible..... Is it possible?

article

It is interesting in the article that this was said about the builder. "Had a steeple design by Keely been found, "chances are good it would not have been buildable," Keyes says. This Keyes fellow is supposed to be the expert in architectural restoration and preservation around here.

Secondly, Charleston has since adopted the new standards that read like this:

"The U.S. Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historic Preservation, standards that the city is considering adopting, say that "new additions, exterior alterations or related new construction will not destroy historic materials, features and spatial relationships that characterize the property. The new work shall be differentiated from the old."

Sounds kind of vague. Does that mean different materials in the new construction or alteration? I hope not, but I can see this being read like that. Any thoughts on how this would affect Church restoration and other buildings from a Timber Framing aspect? I understand that the new steeple does not fall into restoration because there was never one before. I also realize that this church is not that old (and probable would have been built without timber anyway) but what off the others in town and around the country that are 200 to 250 yrs old? If the steeples or other parts of the building are damaged beyond restoration and new construction has to take place will steel be added where there was once timber? This seems like a hurdle for timber framing restoration. Any thoughts?

Re: New Steeple on Church [Re: mo] #15808 06/08/08 01:46 PM
D
Don P Offline
D
Looks like remuddling from here. I do respect an owners rights too, tough call.

My late in-laws hometown has a similar church, the spire although planned was never built, the Oude Kerk or Grote Kerk (old or great church) in Dordrecht, Holland. It is Protestant so I'm guessing late 1500's? at the earliest. Ive seen paintings by the masters back to the early 1600's that include this church and I immediately know where I am. I've also commented in the past that it looks like the tower of a dark lord.

But then again they were Calvinists back then, their lord was dark.

As for the period spire being unbuildable... have the other period spires in the area failed?

Sorry couldn't be of more help, I vote leave her be.

Re: New Steeple on Church [Re: Don P] #15810 06/08/08 04:34 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Mo,

Richard Greening MSc. did his Timber Framing Masters dissertation on church spires which I recall contained details of steel reinforcing of wooden spires and even reused timbers from the hangman's gallows to make repairs so maybe there is room for compromise.

This sounds like a post topic where Jan Lewandoski could help.
(janlrt@sover.net).

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users