Rating: 5
Page 28 of 136 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16064 06/28/08 01:42 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone:

before I leave, and because I can't change my post (edit button does not work yet), you will notice in the background the long timbers waiting to be hewn.

We worked out right along the roadway so that we were quite visible, and accessible to the visiting public.

Many of the old Amish order and the Mennonite people especially would come and gather around with their families. The older folk would come and express their thanks for the display, and thought that it was great that the old trades and the historic structures were being reconstructed and saved by the Ontario Government's facility at UCV.

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16066 06/28/08 02:16 PM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Yes, I see it now. Thanks for another good picture. Those boys look just right.
Good way you had - one hewing and one explaining to onlookers.
Steve

Shine on!
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Waccabuc] #16091 07/01/08 12:55 AM
N
OP Offline
N

Hello everyone tonight:

It sure is rainy here tonight, but when we were working on the timbers in the photo it was dry ande hot hot summer.

This photo is an event staged on the Labour Day celebrations and it was this time every year that we would have a timberframing event to coordinate and put together the project that was ongoing for that season.

You can see the timber network in the foreground that took us the full open season to hand hew and timberframe ready for this event.

hope you enjoy

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16092 07/01/08 01:02 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello again tonight

It sure would be nice to be able to edit our posts but as yet no luck.

The network of timbers in the foreground are those that make up the barn floor structure between the first and third bays of the barn, and has a centre supporting beam that is noticeable in the photo.

You will also notice that the timbers are all left round on the sides and bottom, with just the tops being flattened. This technique makes the timbers about twice as strong as being squared, and with alot less work.

Hope you enjoy

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16171 07/12/08 01:20 AM
N
OP Offline
N

Hi everyone: sorry to have been away from you all but the summer is time to get a way from it all for a few days.

This photo is of a dovetail connection between one of the vertical timbers that make of a bridge truss in the attic of a 1865 church.

You will notice the end of the wedge that was driven in from underneath. This wedge forces the half dovetail sideways securely holding the horizontal bottom chord of the truss from dropping down. This bottom chord by the way is 45 feet long and is a hand hewn northern white pine.

Over the years the joint has opened up slightly probably due to shrinkage of the timber parts.

Hope you enjoy, and I appreciate any comments or questions that you might have.

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16172 07/12/08 01:33 AM
N
OP Offline
N

Hi everyone again tonight:

Because I have been away for a few days here is another photo of the work as it was ongoing in the Ross Barn yard during the reconstruction.

You will notice in particular in the foreground one of our measuring poles that we used in all our layout work.

We had various lengths from 14 feet right down to 24" that was indispensible as we did identical layout work as we moved from timber to timber

If you have any questions feel free to comment and come on board

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16262 07/22/08 12:59 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone:

I just would like to add as a comment to the last photo, the lad working with the mallet in the background, (was) my lead timberframer on many reconstruction projects.

Gerry St. Pierre was a very dependable person and could be relied on to carry through complicated reconstruction projects on tight schedules.

He is now in a better place but he will be and is remembered at every opportunity. I do wish that he could meet each and everyone of you, I am sure that you would enjoy reminiscing with him the good and bad and I might say scary parts of past events

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16263 07/22/08 01:26 AM
N
OP Offline
N

[IMG]

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/Hewer/TimberFramingandStaff171.jpg[/IMG]

Hi everyone tonight:

Well back to basics again.

Every once in a while I like to return to hand hewing something that I loved to do for many years.

In this photo I am putting on the "Finishing Pass" along a pine timber.

For some of you that might not be familiar with my hewing terms the finishing pass is removing the last 3/4" of material along the log you are working on. this will bring you or in this case me as I work right down to the blue chalk line that is the reference finished surface.

Now it will still be a rough surface but should exhibit the tell tale bite of the scoring axe-- just slightly--and these marks should be approx 3" to 4" inches apart.

Hope you enjoy

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16264 07/22/08 01:30 AM
N
OP Offline
N

sorry for the problem with the photo in the previous post-- we can't seem to edit yet for some reason

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #16270 07/23/08 01:09 AM
N
OP Offline
N

Hi everyone tonight:

If anyone has any questions regarding last night's photo that shows me scoring the 3rd side of a pine timber please feel free to do so.

This next photo is one that shows me using the carpenter's adze.
I always paid close attention and kept focused on the area of work. It is impossible to visit and talk while adzing, you have to stop work and then respond to questions, at least that is what I have found out over the years.

One little slip is all that is needed to create a serious situation or injury.

hope you enjoy

NH

Page 28 of 136 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users