Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: Jim Rogers] #16476 08/08/08 06:30 PM
brad_bb Offline
Yeah, broaching is the way to go if doing a number of them. You start by boring a round hole and then a broaching machine pulls a broach through the hole. The broach is sort of a shaft with teeth. The broach teeth are in the shape of a square, but tapper ever bigger as you pull the broach through the hole. Each time a tooth passes through the hole it cuts the square bigger They make sockets that way (for the wratchet drive). It's how you get splines inside a gear or other part. I assume it's how you rifle a gun barrel too.

Someone I'm sure already has a square broach that will work. Have the blanks machined and then send them out for the broaching. Too bad it's such low quantities...costs more. It's a matter of finding one that will do a small job. There are plenty of shops listed on the web, but I'd look locally first to try and save the shipping.

Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: brad_bb] #16481 08/08/08 10:05 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
It's not just a square hole, it's a tapered square hole. Broaching probably isn't going to work, unfortunately.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: Dave Shepard] #16482 08/09/08 12:46 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I wouldn't be apposed to making it a two piece unit, so that we could broach through it. And/or making it a little longer to that there is enough stock to make the spot where the shaft could enter the socket end... or a bit wider in diameter...
I've planned to go to the EDM machine shop Monday morning and see what they say.
After that I may go a different route, we'll have to see....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: Jim Rogers] #16486 08/10/08 12:55 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Jim, just a thought, could they machine the cylinder, cut it in half length wise, machine the interior, weld it back together and turn the welds off. Or start with square stock and than turn after it's welded back up. Is there any evidence on the original as to how it was made? The first thing I though of was it forged some how. Just checking.

I am using a chuck off a breast drill for an adaptor now, I use it with a new 1-1/2" bit. I want one for peg holes, if you make it longer I am wondering if a 12" long bit will have the the clearance and capacity in the boring machine? Tim

Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: TIMBEAL] #16488 08/10/08 03:29 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
I got a chance to see the adapter on thursday when Jim was out this way. I would say the original was forged. I looked for casting marks, but I didn't see any, and it doesn't look like cast iron. There are several different ways to approach the problem. They run into one of two problems, either too many steps to make it, or an expensive process. I've got one of my problem solvers working on the dilema right now, and we have three angles of attack we are working on, depending on the final product that is desired. One of which I think can result in a very reasonable price.

Dave

Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: Dave Shepard] #16528 08/12/08 08:08 PM
brad_bb Offline
Bore a hole and edm for low quantity. I wonder what a blacksmith could do to make that hole/shape. Maybe an old time blacksmith. I actually saw a tool company on DIY's "Cool Tools" the other day where they hand forge all of their garden and other tools. There might be a place to start. Forge the hole and then machine/grind the rest.

Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: brad_bb] #16533 08/13/08 12:09 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
Any luck at the EDM shop Jim?

I've got a friend that is going to machine a die to use in an attempt to forge one. You have to drill several holes of different sizes, or better yet, have a tapered drill made. You won't be able to move too much metal, so it will have to be fairly close. If the forging works, we could probably set up some dies for the trip hammer at the forge.

Dave

Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: Dave Shepard] #16536 08/13/08 12:54 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline OP
OP Offline
J
They did send me a quote yesterday, it was shocking, even for a good quantity. I'd have to get $86 each for them; to have them made by a EDM process.
Dave, see what you can do to make some, call if you need to....

Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: Jim Rogers] #16542 08/13/08 09:37 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
I'm not surprised about the EDM, I was told it was a very slow process. My friend Don and I are working a couple of angles, but, as I like to say, Don moves at the speed of Don. smile

Dave

Re: Adapter for boring machine offer [Re: Dave Shepard] #16553 08/14/08 01:26 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'll contact my regular machine shop and see what else we can come up with. The two part idea seems like it might work. That would be to cut the socket cylinder in half, mill out the tapered slot, in each half, and then put it back together. I'll have to ask if this would be something that would work.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users