Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Prices of Timber Framing Tools #16538 08/13/08 06:39 PM
P
pringles Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi,

I have been looking at chain mortisers and I am astounded by the price of them. There doesn't really seem to be that much to them when you get right down to it. Compared to other wood working tools that are more common and have a comparable complexity, they are about five times the price that they should be. Even the replacement chains are a real rip off at around $700-$800. I have noticed that the other tools for timber framing do not reflect reality when compared to other more ubiquitous wood working tools of similar quality and complexity.

Are the prices simply a refection of supply and demand? Do they cost more because there is such a small market segment for them?

Does anyone know where you can buy timber framing tools at prices that reflect something within reason?

I am planning a one off project so I don't really need the power tools but they would be nice to have to improve productivity none the less. I can understand the prices of hand made tools like Barr chisels etc., but something like a chain mortiser I would expect to pay about $800 for, and a drill guide that they want $800 for really has nothing to it and should cost about $150. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Thanks,
Steve.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: pringles] #16539 08/13/08 07:33 PM
daiku Offline
Check out the Makita chain mortiser. If you're looking at imported European made tools, there's a big price gap. Check out the large saws, for example. The Makita chain mortiser may seem expensive too, but they don't have a huge volume with such a specialized tool. Chain for the Makita runs about half of what you were quoting. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: daiku] #16540 08/13/08 07:46 PM
brad_bb Offline
It's all relative. They sell far fewer than "other more ubiquitous wood working tools of similar quality and complexity". That is one factor. Actual cost is another. Sometimes you'd be surprised when you do an actual costing of the parts list. Each casting is low volume...
Consider also the cost to have a frame build for you versus building one yourself. In those terms, even buying the tools you come out ahead doing it your self. It's all relative. Average the tool cost over the whole life and usefulness of the tool. It may not seem so much in those terms. Looking at the cost versus doing only 1 frame, sure it seems more costly. It's all relative.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: brad_bb] #16541 08/13/08 09:00 PM
P
pringles Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Ok thanks guys. I will check out the Makita.

I know I would still be ahead building the frame myself so it justifies buying the tool, but it still rubs me the wrong way to spend that much money on something that is fairly basic as far as wood power tools are concerned.

I wouldn't mind paying it as much if I new that the mark-up that the retailer was getting was in line with other more common wood power tools. Maybe it is and it's just a volume thing so the retailer is paying more from the manufacturer as well. Just not so sure since there is an association between timber framing and those that can afford to have one built are generally quite well off to say the least and so the expectation is that the cost of tools will just end up being paid by the end customer who has deep pockets. Of course this theory might be all a bunch of nonesense, just postulating. Don't like being bent over is all. I'll have a look at the Makita and see if it's in my range of reasonable or I can just stick with chisels and drills.

Thanks,
Steve.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: pringles] #16551 08/14/08 01:20 PM
daiku Offline
There's also a robust market for used makita chain mortisers. If you use it for only one project, you'll easily be able to sell it for 1/2 to 2/3 of what you paid for it.

Timberwolf tools offers a price match on the makita. Find it lower, and they'll match the price.

http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/makita/M-7104L.html

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: pringles] #16552 08/14/08 01:22 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
The alternative to a chain mortiser is to buy a old reconditioned boring machine.
Or to consider that after you have completed your project you sell any or all of these tools, to recover your investment.
I know that some people buy a chain mortiser for $1300 and then cut their one and only frame, and then sell their chain mortiser for $1000 or so. And consider the $300 they lost as "rent" for the machine for the one or two years they work on their project.
Just somethings to consider...

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: Jim Rogers] #16554 08/14/08 01:27 PM
brad_bb Offline
Good point guys. I bought a used makita chain morticer for $1000 which also included a new chain. That was 6 months ago and they were new for $1305 plus shipping at the time. If I wanted to sell after one project, I'd probably not lose more than $300 if that, but I probably will keep it awhile for more than one project.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: brad_bb] #16558 08/14/08 05:12 PM
P
pringles Offline OP
OP Offline
P
That's a good idea to buy one and then sell it when I'm done. I am a bit worried about being able to unload it though since it's not a very popular item for most people.

Where do you guys look to buy used ones?

Where would I buy an old reconditioned boring machine? I assume you mean one that has a frame to keep it square to the work and you crank it by hand??

As far as price matching, they would have to match it plus 5 or 10%. The company that has the lowest price wins in my book, I would never go back to another place and give them my business for the same price since it's just saying to them that they can try and rip me off until I take them to task on it and then they will give me the real price. Unless it's a better unit price matched. Just my opinion. I will check out Timberwolf and see what they have.

Thanks for all your input.

Steve.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: pringles] #16559 08/14/08 05:19 PM
daiku Offline
Right here for both reselling your used mortiser, or for buying a boring machine (Jim Rogers typically has a large selection). CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: daiku] #16560 08/14/08 05:32 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
pringles, Jim Rogers keeps an updated list in this section of the forum. You can see the last one here.

He had about 8 of them with him last week at Heartwood School. The Millers Falls are sweet, and top of the line, and he also has several wooden framed ones.

I prefer a boring machine over a hand drill, but that's just me. smile

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users