Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: daiku] #16564 08/15/08 12:29 AM
T
Treeax Offline
T
I bought a old boring M/C off Ebay($60). I was broken(wood was all cracked), so I made a new one out of maple, and used the cast parts from the old one. It might be a little slower, but it does the job.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: Dave Shepard] #16565 08/15/08 12:45 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
pringles, I as well use a number of boring machines for joinery. On my last frame had the chance to see a chain morticer in action. They are simply faster. I found them heavy and my back had issues after extended use. I fixed that some what with a block to stand on. I like the accuracy of the hand crank machine, that is achieved with cleanup by hand tools. I am looking forward to how you make your decision and what your choice will be.

My brother made a hand crank boring machine from scratch, he had $100 in parts tied up in it, no labor number. Tim

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: Dave Shepard] #16595 08/18/08 06:07 PM
brad_bb Offline
Yes, selling a Makita chain morticer is no problem these days. You can sell it on ebay, on post in the tool section here that you have one for sale. They tend to sell quickly if priced fairly. Like I didn't have a problem buying mine for $1000 with a new chain. It was described as excellent condition that had been used for one or two projects. The new chain was probably worth $300 new. Plus the old chain may be resharpened I think. I wouldn't have paid any more (baseline for a new one with 1 chain is $1305 plus shipping). I wouldn't spend that much on a used one that wasn't cared for well, is rusty, or has been through many many projects. A well used one may get down in the $500-$600 range I'm thinking...I've seen one with a broken casting. If there were repaired, Probably price it in that lower range. It has to be properly welded though by a pro who knows how to do that.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: pringles] #16637 08/21/08 12:40 AM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Hey Pringles, take a deep breath.

Try using the various tools and methods of drilling, chopping, cutting mortices. See what works best for your muscles, your budget, your time, your pleasure, and even your philosopy of timber framing (which is discussed w much enthusiasm on another thread somewhere here).

You're an engineer so I bet you have an idea what things cost to design, build, distribute, warranty, inventory parts for etc. Most of us buyers and users, and sellers of used tools in the TFG are pretty savvy and honest, and are willing and enthusiastic to help others with advice and with fair dealings. The distibutors of new TF tools that we all buy from have good reputations.
Anybody who's cutthroat or dishonest would be exposed pretty quickly and would be discredited and gone. I think on Ebay you should be much more wary.
I had a customer here in NY who told me her cousin in Missouri had an addition put on her house for $30,000, so she thought that's what her budget for her project should be. Illogical with beginning manipulative negotiations......
Attend a Guild function, workshop or rendezvous - try some tools out and have fun learning w other enthusiasts. Also look for a course or class being given by someone near you. Don't be afraid to open up your check book, it'll be money well spent if you are diligent and positive.
Steve

Shine on!
Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: Waccabuc] #16641 08/21/08 02:26 PM
P
pringles Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Everyone,

Thanks for all your responses and opinions. You have helped me out a lot.

Steve.

Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: pringles] #16709 09/02/08 05:38 AM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
I posted in this Tool Forum a Makita Chain Mortiser 4 sale. It is in excellent working condition, a tight machine, ready to do lots of accurate and fast work.
I'm taking pictures tomorrow (Tues) if you're interested. I'll try to post pics, or I can email them.
Have you started cutting your frame yet?
Steve

Shine on!
Re: Prices of Timber Framing Tools [Re: Waccabuc] #16732 09/04/08 01:11 PM
P
pringles Offline OP
OP Offline
P
No I haven't started any work yet, I am just researching my options right now. I haven't totally decided on the design yet or the type of wood I will use. I am just poking around looking at what tools I may buy when the time comes.

Thanks,
Steve.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users