Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: Housewright] #16701 09/01/08 06:20 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Jim & All:

Those dates and link to the book are wonderful, Jim. Google Books is a dream. I have been by the Patten museum many times on my way to Baxter State Park, but never stopped in because of the main focus of camping, etc. What are the hours/ season of the museum? I'm headed that way next month. (I could not get the museum's link to load).

As you know, Patten is in the "North Woods," an area that was late in settling when compared to other areas of Maine/ New England. This may explain the lack of a sash mill as they were early-mid 1800s (again, in New England). And as NH points out, we have to keep in mind the Patten info (and all else) is regional (usually New England).

I also am guessing that while Maine's North Woods saw heavy lumbering, it did not see a great deal of "sawing." As you mentioned, the last log drive was in the mid-1970s (in Maine). I have in-laws in Aroostook County and have spent a lot of time in the North Woods. I also have read a lot about the Allagash logging camps. It's my take that much of the timber was floated out of there to be sawn in Bangor, Waterville, etc. Not a lot of folks lived in the north woods, thus sawmills were in little demand. Did you know that a major lake's (Chamberlain's?)outlet was re-routed by the lumber Barons of the day to flow south so it could link up w/ the Penobscot river and thus get more north woods logs to Bangor?

That's interesting about circular sawn lumber that was re-sawn vertically. I'll have to keep an eye out for that... as is the hewn and then sawn purlins you have seen.

All cool stuff.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: OurBarns1] #16707 09/02/08 01:20 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I too have seen full length common purlins, 36'+ and most likely sawn on a up and down saw. Tim

Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: Housewright] #16708 09/02/08 01:43 AM
C
collarandhames Offline
C
Makes one wonder about buying a lot with a stream that could be dammed?

Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: collarandhames] #16722 09/02/08 08:38 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
yeah, wouldn't it be nice. Your own little mill. smile

But I bet messing with even the smallest stream would get you cited for something these days. frown

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: OurBarns1] #16724 09/03/08 01:31 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Hi Don;

I will copy the link again if that helps. http://www.lumbermensmuseum.org/

They are open 10 to 4 except mondays until October 13. After that, they may open by appointment?

I am not sure what you mean about "circular sawn lumber that was re-sawn vertically". I am not familiar with this sequence of sawing.

My next lumber museum to visit is http://leonardsmills.org/

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: Housewright] #16727 09/03/08 08:39 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Jim:

this is what I was responding to about circular sawn stuff that was re-sawn vertically (or vice-versa). Perhaps I misunderstood:

Originally Posted By: Housewright
Hi

Something to keep in mind is that the circular saw needed more power (more water) so they were not an option everywere. Also, smaller circular saws were used to resaw flitches, deals, etc. even in mills with vertical saws so look for old lumber with the narrow dimension circular sawn and the wide dimension vertically sawn.

Jim

thanks for the Patten link. It loaded this time. And Leonard's Mills looks neat. A 1790-era mill. They must have an up-and-down saw there! Let us know what you find...

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: OurBarns1] #16729 09/04/08 01:09 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Hi Don;

Sorry if I was not clear. What I ment is small circular saws were used to resaw 3" vertically sawn "deals" into 3x4 or 3x5s, and to edge boards or planks and cut lath. I am not aware of circular sawn material being resawn vertically but I can imagine a vertical gang saw where a board goes in one side and lath comes out the other: just a thought.

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: Housewright] #16734 09/05/08 01:50 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi everyone:

I guess this topic is a bit of a no winner, the whole group of us live in very different locals with very different early histories and cultures.

there is no doubt that small circular saws were working in many parts of North America prior to them appearing in others, and no doubt that sawn timber appeared earlier in some areas than others, just due to the constant flow of "new"
technology

So with this in mind I would say we are all right in some of the arguments and statements that have been made, but one has to be careful not to stress that one example applies to the whole area of the country because it is not like that.

In the sept 01 post of "housewright" pertaining to the long purlin that was hewn and then taken to a vertical mill and sawn in half, in my opinion would not have happened, for starters why not saw out the purlins in the first place if such a mill could have accomodated such long timber, not to mention just what kind of wagon would have been able to move such a long log.

I have no doubt that it was sawn through the centre but for sure it was sawn right at the site of the barn raising with a whip or better known as a pit saw.

You all put up come very good points and arguments, and I am sure that everyone looking in, will learn from the information contained in all your posts, I for one enjoy reading and sharing my views

Good topic

NH

Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: northern hewer] #16735 09/05/08 06:38 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi NH,

I think that you may well be correct about sawing of long purlins on site. Our own little 2 bay granary has a pair of 23 foot long single piece oak purlins that have first been hewn out square and then halved by sawing. If this was done on a sawmill then the bed track would need to be going on 50 feet long to allow passage of the whole log length through a fixed blade so for long logs it probably makes much more sense to keep the log position fixed and then move the saw down through the length of the log.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: Ken Hume] #16736 09/05/08 10:58 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
To move a up and down saw head down the log would be difficult, so that should rule that option out. I see no reason not to have a long track for such milling techniques. I have no proof via evidence of long track up and down sawing ( the actual remains or photos), but what we do have is long, up and down, sawn stock. The debate here is if it was one of the two types of up and down sawing and band sawn. When it comes to whip sawn stock that is much easier to distinguish due to the erratic saw marks.

Today you can go out and buy a small portable band mill with a standard track length of 20' or 24'. I did, and it didn't take long for me to realize I needed a longer track, I now have 74' and the saw moves not the log. I see the past very much the same, most mills kept the standard 20' track system, they needed 40+, 20' on either end of the head. Where is the limit? Why did they stop at 20'? Someone must of said "lets put 40' on either end of the head". Tim

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users