Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
sketchup blueprints #16715 09/02/08 03:54 PM
D
DKR Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am trying to create blueprint type pages from my sketchup model. For example, to show an entire bent or wall. I realize that I can move my model to some other kind of software using the pro version to make "real" blueprints. I don't have access to that kind of software, so I'm trying to do a poor man's version of blueprints using just the free version. Here is what I'm thinking might work. After my model is done, I will make it a group (I know this will have to be undone to use Clark's rubies.) I will create another face via a single rectangle. I will then move that rectangle so that it intersects with the outside face of my bent. I will then "intersect" the model so that the edges of the bent will be drawn on the rectangle face. Then I'll hide the timber frame, which will leave the intersected edges on the face of my rectangle. Make this a group. I'll then add measurements, and make it all a separate layer. Doing this should give me a 2D page to print out that kinda looks like a blueprint. Anyone else have any thoughts about this? Thanks.

Re: sketchup blueprints [Re: DKR] #16716 09/02/08 04:01 PM
daiku Offline
Have you experimented with section planes? Turn off perspective view as you experiment. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: sketchup blueprints [Re: DKR] #16717 09/02/08 04:02 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
For 2D views change the camera view to parallel projection.
Go to camera drop down menu, select parallel projection. If you do this, you shouldn't have to do what you proposed, as you will have a flat 2D view.

I often put different walls or bents on their own layer and that way I can turn everything else off and work with only the sub assembly I am wanting to work on.

Alternatively, you can use the section tool to show an interior bent/wall, etc.

Re: sketchup blueprints [Re: daiku] #16718 09/02/08 04:23 PM
D
DKR Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've tried section planes, a tad. Seem cumbersome, for sketchup, particularly when I want to take a section of something in the middle of my model. Sometimes I seem to able to section from front and back, but at other times it doesn't seem to work. If that's what you do, I'll keep working with that tool some more. I'll also try the 2D. Thanks for your input.

As an aside, I am working on a model that I wanted to be able to see the views through the windows. Imported pictures of the site, made them 1000 feet wide, and hung them up a few hundred feet from my house, like big pictures. Worked like a charm.

Re: sketchup blueprints [Re: DKR] #16719 09/02/08 04:43 PM
daiku Offline
Cool idea!

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: sketchup blueprints [Re: DKR] #17498 12/15/08 04:13 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
section planes... and throw them on the face of a timber in the bent you want to detail and then play with for / aft position to hide / show what you want to see.

a feature of the section planes is 'create group' from section. this will create a 2d set of lines @ the plane of the section cut, and group it for you. use this feature and then move the group off to the side (or copy it into another drawing) for detailing. add dimensions, view it without perspective turned on... etc. make it into a component and then you can assemble a new drawing with several 2d cuts (flat on the ground plane) for detailing, shop drawings, etc.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users