Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Japanese Carpentry Study group #16867 09/22/08 06:27 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello all,

I have relocated to New England and am in the process of forming a group to pursue the study of Japanese carpentry through the building of roof models.

I have received definite interest from half a dozen people so far. First meeting slated for sometime in Novemeber, with meetings to take place afterward every one to two months. Meetings will likely be all-day, or day-and-a-half affairs.

Besides carpentry layout (descriptive geomtetry and math is involved), there will be opportunities to examine other aspects of Japanese caprentry, like sharpening and plane tuning, structural framing systems, joinery, insulative systems, and so forth. Please contact me if you have any interest, and can commit to steady participation. Location of meeting(s) yet to be determined - probably somewhere in Mass. Contact me for further information. This will also be posted in the upcoming Scantlings.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Hall; 09/22/08 06:28 PM.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: ] #16903 09/25/08 12:31 PM
Joe Wood Offline
Darn Chis, if you weren't at the extreme opposite corner of the country I'd be there. Just what I need to understand J roof systems, is to actually see one being built.

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Joe Wood] #16930 09/26/08 02:30 AM
C
collarandhames Offline
C
I'd love to learn the ways,, but am SO far away. Can you keep me posted??
Yours sincerly,
grasshopper

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: collarandhames] #16952 09/27/08 07:36 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
thanks for the replies folks. One of the challenges facing the forming of this group is the fact that people interested in this area of exploration don't all live together in the same place, so for some, the distance to travel is a real inconvenience and cost burden. I have some people who will be traveling at least 6 hours to get to the area, so that is a definite obstacle.

i am always willing to come out to other part of the country and teach intensive workshops. It involves a modest amount of time to organize. I know there is lots of interest out on the west coast. The main problem with intensives is that the information brought forward quickly becomes overwhelming, usually around mid-afternoon on day two, and the chunk of time that people need to take means that after the las is over, they have a mounting stack of other stuff from their daily life needing attention, and thus it can be a challenge for some to get back to the material they learned and properly digest it. It's for these reasons I'm trying to form a study group that meets for a day or two every month or two - smaller more digestible chunks instead of 'the drowning'.

I'm not sure how much interest there will be in the North East for this sort of thing, and I'm going ahead anyhow. Even if no one showed up for the study group, I'm going to be continuing my own study of Japanese roof carpentry through the building of various roof models (and hopefully the occasional paid project will materialize as well!).

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #17147 10/23/08 11:13 PM
B
bosshaus Offline
B
Howdy Chris...Nathaniel Bossi here. I'm in Sheffield, MA, and I would love to get together with you to learn. Any time. I am interested in anything you are inclined to teach. Drop me an email or give a call.

nathanielbossi@yahoo.com
774-212-0301

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: bosshaus] #17162 10/24/08 02:48 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Nathaniel,

great - your interest is much appreciated. I will keep you posted as to what is happening - the Scantling notice should come out soon and I'm interested to see what happens from there.

I would ask you to give some thought to what your goals and needs are in regards to studying Japanese carpentry and participating in this study group. The more that people have a clear idea of what their direction is, the easier it will be to shape the study group to meet as many peoples needs as possible.

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #17275 11/05/08 12:24 AM
B
bosshaus Offline
B
I would be particularly interested in proportion, ornamental joinery (w/ practical applications in furniture making etc.) I could also go over fundamentals (sharpening, plane technique.) If you are leaning towards roof systems, then that would be great. I also have another t.f. fellow that is very interested.

Nathaniel

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: bosshaus] #17282 11/05/08 05:02 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Those topics will be dealt with in great detail, and the focus is on roof structural systems. I will be in touch.

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #17316 11/11/08 03:00 PM
123gen Offline
Your study group caught my eye. My husband, Iwao Nakajima, is a Miyadaiku, now residing in New York. Back in the late 80's he designed aand built a temple at the Peace Pagoda in Leverett. Sadly, the beautiful little peice was torched. "Gen" is still very much active and is an enthusiastic teacher. With more than 40 years of service to this endangered craft and complete devotion he is recognized as "Torio". I suggest he may be a
valuable resource. He would like to know more about your efforts. E-dress above or call 631 724 3441.

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: 123gen] #17318 11/11/08 05:57 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello again Ms. Nakajima,

I don't know if you recall or not, but we were in touch on e-mail, and at least one phone call, a couple of years ago, when I was previously living in Leverett. I've since spent a couple of years back on Vancouver Island, and now I'm back here in Leverett again, planning to stay.

It would be great if your husband was interested in being involved with the study group. His knowledge would be most appreciated and would benefit everyone tremendously I'm sure.

I phoned the number you provided and left a message, so I look forward to being in touch.

Cheers,

Chris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users