Print Thread
Rate Thread
reconditioning / sharpening 1.5" timber frame drills #168 05/02/02 02:35 PM
T
TMA Offline OP
OP Offline
T
good morning everyone ,
I need a little help learning how to properly sharpen 1.5" dia timber frame auger bits / drills.
I have a few old ones and will be purchasing a few new ones to build my timberframe log cabin garage. Once the new ones are dull i will be right back where i am now...... does anyone know of a sharpening tool / kit or just the proper technique ???? I have tried but only get a dust cutting...no real cutting action.

any help you have would be greatly appreciated.
Also looking for a timber frame drill
thanks much - tma

Re: reconditioning / sharpening 1.5" timber frame drills #169 05/03/02 01:24 AM
J
John Milburn Offline
J
TMA, there is a book,the complete guide to sharpening by Lie Nielsen that might have the information you need for the proper way to sharpen drills.I had a posted a question on sharpening of corner chisels and one of the experts on this web emailed me that page of the book.Hopefully he will do the same for you.I am no expert but this works for me.I use a finepointed file that is 1/4" wide. Sharpen the threads on the point so it pulls the bit into the wood.File only the inside of the spurs or tangs and then I file the cutting edge and back bevel.I hope this works for you, and maybe we can get more input from some other members. John

Re: reconditioning / sharpening 1.5" timber frame drills #170 05/03/02 11:23 AM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
Lee Valley Tools sells a special file (inexpensive) for sharpening Jennings pattern auger bits. It has safe faces on one end for sharpening spurs and lead screws, and safe edges on the the other end for sharpening the cutter. It looks a little like the wooden spoons that used to come with ice cream cups (showing my age). Every toolbox should have one.

Rudy

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users