Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SketchUp 7 #17366 11/17/08 11:46 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just released and I've watched some of the highlights videos on the SketchUp YouTube page. Looks like some great great tools in dynamic components that can be adapted to timber framers.

I'll be exploring this over the next few weeks.

Clark - I haven't tried it yet - but wondering about creating what would be essentially dynamic joinery (tenon width, length, etc.) using the dynamic components tools (looks a bit parametric) - this theoretically should still work with the Rubies, no?

Mike

PS -

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: SketchUp 7 [Re: bmike] #17367 11/17/08 11:46 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
PS - Thanks to everyone who attended the SketchUp workshops at the Eastern Conference...!

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: SketchUp 7 [Re: bmike] #17372 11/18/08 02:24 PM
daiku Offline
Hi Mike.

Was out of town yesterday, and missed the news! I'll first test the rubies on SU7, and make sure they still work. I'd suggest that anyone who relies on them hold off on the update until I do that. Yes, the dynamic components look really interesting. Hopefully, it will be easier to "stretch" timbers without distorting the joinery. Stay tuned. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: SketchUp 7 [Re: daiku] #17373 11/18/08 03:07 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Clark -

In about 1/2 hour I built 1 component that is now a stand in for a 'beam' - from a pull down menu I can change its width and depth. I've left the length as a variable - to be controlled by the usual methods - but I was also able to tell the 'scale' tool to lock only to a particular axis when used on the component. What a great addition!

I can see ways to parametrically update joinery and beam sizes... and if you find the Rubies still work theoretically we should be able to have a housing update to the size of the beam depth and have a pull down for various depths. (note - this will work with or without the Rubies... but the Rubies will allow TFramers to do their thing)

I can also see tenons working the same way...

Very exciting stuff. I'm running the 8 hour eval version but I'll end up shelling out the $95 to update my pro license.

There's also a new 'report' tool for exporting CSV or HTML materials or components list - with option data that can be added from the dynamic components attribute controls.

Very cool stuff.

-Mike

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: SketchUp 7 [Re: daiku] #17374 11/18/08 03:14 PM
daiku Offline
Well, I took SU7 for a very brief spin, and the TF rubies seem to be compatible. Here is my experience: SU7 will load in a new location, so SU6 should still be available as a backup. The TF rubies will not get installed automatically with the upgrade - you'll have to re-install and re-configure - not a big deal. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: SketchUp 7 [Re: bmike] #17375 11/18/08 03:15 PM
daiku Offline
Mike:

The Dynamic Components look really promising. But one thing I noticed right away is that you cannot create your own Dynamic Components with the free version. You need the pro version. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: SketchUp 7 [Re: daiku] #17378 11/18/08 11:28 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Correct - you need pro to create them, but you can use the free version to work with existing dynamic components. But from what little I've done already they make working with components (timbers) much easier.

I have some time tonight... so I'll load the Rubies into 7 and give it a whirl. I'm working out how to create housings and tenons the update with beams... pegs would be a whole 'nother problem.

-Mike

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: SketchUp 7 [Re: bmike] #17383 11/20/08 08:44 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well... finding a few bugs with the concept of dynamic components. They work great when created from scratch - but I think a goal would be to have a library of timbers and a library of joints. Currently there seems to be an issue with dragging a dynamic component and placing into another dynamic component.

The concept works fine if one creates the whole lot from scratch (timber that can change shape and size with joints on each end that can do the same) - but seems to get mucked up when inserting one into the other.

I've posted to the SketchUp Pro forums. We'll see if there is any insight. I could be building the components incorrectly, or might need to add an attribute that can help sort this out - but the timbers and the joints start acting add when I use the attributes to change variables.

Otherwise this could be a great addition - esp if the Rubies work. (working on testing that... but 1 problem @ a time)

-Mike

www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users