Print Thread
Rate Thread
Foundation&Subfloor simple for you, not for me #1735 06/13/05 01:10 AM
B
Bill Porter Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello again Experts,

I have been reading a tremendous amount of material and all of it has been very helpful. The TF Guild is doing a fantastic job of making information available. I'm sure that this question has been posted before, but I have not been able to find it.

I have found much information on joinery, beam sizing, how to cut, etc. However, I have not found very much information on the options to join (fasten) the frame to a conventional subfloor. I know that you need solid blocking under the posts and one of my friends is talking about steel rods and epoxy.
What is the best way? Is a TF floor better than a conventional? What methods will pass all of the 'high wind' building codes?

Thank you in advance for your time and comments.

- Bill Porter

Re: Foundation&Subfloor simple for you, not for me #1736 06/13/05 01:39 AM
K
Keith Offline
K
The project I'm working on has footers poured under slab and 8x8 posts connected to footers by simpson ABU series post base. These posts continue to subfloor. Knifeplates are inserted to top of posts (using plunge cut from chainsaw), through subfloor and into base of timberframe post. (2) 3/4" bolts are used to secure knife plate to tf post (countersunk) and basement post through predrilled holes. This frame carries gravity loads only and wind/siesmic loads are supported by SIPs. I can send detail drawings if you supply an email address

Re: Foundation&Subfloor simple for you, not for me #1737 06/13/05 12:35 PM
daiku Offline
Bill:

We often use Simpson STHD (RJ) Series steel tie downs embedded in the foundation wall. One for each perimeter post, aligned with the outside face of the timber. The "hook" end is embedded in concrete, and the other end protrudes through the conventionally framed floor and is nailed (not screwed) to the timber with dozens of nails. Since we only use this for the perimeter posts, the panels cover the ugly steel and nail connection on the outside of the timber. The engineers we've worked with seem to like this method. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Foundation&Subfloor simple for you, not for me #1738 06/14/05 12:05 AM
G
gordmac Offline
G
Hi Bill

There are lots of ways to make these connections. For a good overview check out Chapter 6 of Ted Benson's 'The Timber-Frame Home' by Taunton Press, 1997, ISBN 1-56158-129-1

There's also an interesting read on this TF page:

http://www.tfguild.org/ubbcgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000034

That should give you a start. Don't forget that there's a search tool available for these discussion topics too (top of page).

Gord

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users