Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: barn disassembly [Re: timber brained] #17578 12/26/08 05:05 PM
T
timber brained Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am not sure why it seems general practice that the frames are raised with a crane, whereas many barn dismantlers are using the extendable boom forklift(telehandler). Can somebody explain why this is so? Is there a reason why this telhandler can not also raise the bents, frame? It seems to have the load capacity or is it all dependent on the maximum heights needed? It seems to me that the frame should theoretically be able to be raised with the same equipment that it is being dismantled? I also wonder what technique people are generally using for removing pegs,releasing joints? Is there a different technique needed for drawbored pegs? as it seems you could not simply drill through the peg as the offset hole on the tenon would be compromised. Perhaps using a smaller diameter bit to drill through, just enough to get a tool in the space to loosen up the peg to extricate it? tb

Re: barn disassembly [Re: timber brained] #17579 12/26/08 10:17 PM
Will Truax Offline

I’ve had a Telehandler on every raising I’ve ever done but one, and that exception was driven by an accessibility issue – All the same, they weren’t there to raise the frame, though I have raised both walls and bents with them, and I’ve helped raise entire frames with them – exceptions to the rule though.

Typically have one at most restoration and dismantling (Done it a half dozen times or so, but don’t see myself falling into your category “barn dismantlers”) projects but not necessarily to swing big picks.

A crane has its place, and it’s as much about efficiency as capacity.

Rent by the month, the machine is to spare your backs and save money on labor. Day and even weekly rates are IMO a waste of funds

Not sure I’d look to barn rescue as a way to ride out a recession, unless I had a huge cash reserve and a crew I was trying to keep busy.

Nor would I do even one, without a client who wanted it, unless I had the money to invest (not an insignificant investment) with no need to see a timely return – Or If I had no facility to store it in the dry.

Rent by the month, the machine is to spare your backs and save money on labor. Day and even weekly rates are IMO a waste of funds

Here’s a good thread on peg removal.

http://tfguild.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=2676&page=

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: barn disassembly [Re: Will Truax] #17585 12/28/08 03:16 AM
D
Don P Offline
D
For the paint issue, last time I heard a few years ago burning painted wood here carries a $10,000 fine. Our dumpster company will take any of that debris. I imagine disposal rules vary by location. Recycling is good but contaminating is bad, good judgement is required.

You can get lead test kits at many big box stores.

There is an EPA booklet for proper lead handling and yes you do disturb fine dust when disturbing the boards since it has chalked off and settled into cracks over the years. If you gotta work it, work it wet. Carrying it home to, or using it in a structure with young children or those who will carry them is the biggest concern.
www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

At the Forest Products Labs, Dr Robert Falk has done research on this. His profile and publications page with Email are here;
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/staff/staff--falk-robert.html

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users