Rate Thread
Dynamic Joinery #17574 12/26/08 01:09 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Go here:
www.mikebeganyi.com/workbook/tfsketchup/dynhousedtenon.skp

For a SketchUp model of a dynamic housed tenon.

You'll need V7 installed, free or pro.
Right click on one of the timbers and access the component options dialog box. (go the the bottom of the context menu under dynamic components)
Enter new sizes for the beam height and width.
The tenon geometry should update accordingly.

Edit the timber component to change the variables on the housed tenon. (double click on the timber)
Select one of the housed tenon components (do not double click) and the options for the dynamic component will allow you to change the tenon thickness, depth, housing depth, and tenon offset.

Each 'copy' of a dynamic joint can have different variables.

Note that currently the Rubies do not work properly with this type of joinery. In order to have the joinery update to the beam size we need to build the subcomponent called 'beam' in order to pass variables to the housings and tenons. Without this subcomponent SketchUp cannot (reliably) alter the geometry of the timbers. The current work around for this is to edit the timber component and explode the 'beam' subcomponent before making a shop drawing. (and then you can undo after you save the part drawing... for future editing)

Notes:

You'll see 'boxed X's' on the ends of the timbers. These can be turned on and off with a layer.

You'll also see mate marks on the ends of the timber and the joinery - this is to help when placing a joint component into a timber component.

I use the boxed X's to show timbers in section cuts - this saves the step of me editing each timber 'end' by hand.

The boxed X's also allow you to 'swap' components - you can build the entire TF model and make changes - only to add joinery when the client signs off on the design. By correctly setting the component axes and having them match the 'boxed X's' we can easily swap in joinery... or swap one type of joint for another. (this assumes we build all of our joinery with the same rules during the construction phase...)

I have several other versions in the works adding in housing offsets, pegs, diminished housings, tenon offsets, etc. You will need V7 Pro to build dynamic components, and V7 Free or Pro to view them. I believe these revert back to standard components when you open them in V6.

-Mike

Last edited by bmike; 12/26/08 01:14 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dynamic Joinery [Re: bmike] #17575 12/26/08 01:18 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
SketchUp allow for plenty of additional user controlled variables - these do not need to affect geometry - but can affect color, materials, movement, placement, cost, model number, location, labor, etc. etc. ...

With Pro V7 there are options to export this to lists - if the timber components can extract size data we can build timber order lists - and if you wanted to get very particular - you could add $$ and labor (time) variables to particular joints, pegs, etc... and have a powerful modeling and estimating tool.

Last edited by bmike; 12/26/08 01:19 PM.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dynamic Joinery [Re: bmike] #17581 12/27/08 12:16 AM
T
Tom Docking Offline
T
So, I am new to Timber Framing, however I like computers and the Google Sketchup seems to be the software for me. Also, this dynamic components seems pretty neat as well. Being new to this, I also ordered Clark Bremer's new booklet on using Sketchup.

Bit confused though, is "rubies" one way to go regarding desiging and showing joints and "dynamic compenents" another way or do they work together. I guess I would like to learn "one way", however maybe I need to understand "rubies" first before I get on to "dynamic components".

I would appreciate some guidance on this. I also don't know the Sketchup program that well yet, however if dynamic components is the way to go, then I would purchase Pro 7.

Thanks

Re: Dynamic Joinery [Re: Tom Docking] #17583 12/27/08 02:37 PM
daiku Offline
We'll need Mike to chime in here, as he has more experience with the DCs then I do. I think the TF Rubies are a reasonably mature method for designing TF Joinery in SU, that includes the ability to generate shop drawings and material lists. I know of several other professional timber framers using it for that.

The DCs are brand new with SU7. Both Mike and I see some exciting possibilities for enhancing the way we design timber frames that take advantage of this new feature. We're still trying to figure out exactly what shape that will take. It will certainly take some time and effort to pull it all together. One thing to be aware of is that you cannot create your own DCs with the free version of SU7. You need the pro version. I think Mike's goal is to provide a library of DCs so you don't necessarily need the pro version. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Dynamic Joinery [Re: daiku] #17586 12/28/08 10:58 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The Rubies Clark has developed take specific timber frame components and 'unwrap' them into drawings usable for easy to read shop drawings.

Dynamic Components are a new feature in SketchUp 7 - they allow users to create components (blocks, or rubber stamps within a drawing of particular objects) that can be changed parametrically. This can be done graphically - and it allows timber framers to build libraries of timbers and joinery that change by adjusting user defined variables... so instead of changing a joint by adjusting the drawing (stretching a tenon or shifting lines and planes to change a housing) - one can do this parametrically. The setup takes a bit to wrap one's head around as the documentation is sparse at this point - but with a bit of exploring one could theoretically build entire sub assemblies of timber components that would resize and re-configure upon entering variables (bents or trusses).

There are some great examples you can find through the Google 3d warehouse. Do a search for dynamic components. A few that I've looked at are framing models that adapt the framing of a deck to user entered variables and a fence and stairs that when scaled automatically adjust the pickets and the treads to their new measurements.

I've done some more work on the approach I think I would take to use these (combined with the rubies) - I'll post more information next week when I get back from family holiday travels.

-Mike

Last edited by bmike; 12/28/08 10:59 PM.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dynamic Joinery [Re: bmike] #17663 01/13/09 08:21 PM
T
Tom Docking Offline
T
Just wondering how you are making out respecting making the dynamic components for joints; seems like an exciting way to go and I would like to try it.

Re: Dynamic Joinery [Re: Tom Docking] #17699 01/17/09 03:14 AM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Working out just fine... need to do some testing with the Rubies - but so far the concepts are sound. Minor issues with the SU7 Pro generate report feature... but its minor.

Buried with other work right now - so no time to develop this further for a bit.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dynamic Joinery [Re: bmike] #17704 01/17/09 01:16 PM
T
Tom Docking Offline
T
That's great, look forward to seeing them and thanks for your efforts

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users