Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joist question #1760 06/20/05 05:13 PM
S
Steven Scripko Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This might not be the ideal place to ask it, but I've run out of places to try and find a solution to this problem.

I'm working on my Ealge project right now, and it is to build a outdoor stage.

I am currently at teh point of installing joists. Well, I have about 50% of the joists installed. The problem is that some of them were cut slightly too long, and I was not informed (I was directing another aspect of the project) that they were pounding them in to make them fit. This of course has led to the bowing of the beams on either side of the boards, close to 1.5 inches on each of them, by the time I had noticed (12/17 joists on the side had been installed).

At this point, I decided that it would probably be best to cerrect this by pulling out the joists and cutting them shorter to remove the bowing.

So, is there a slightly easy way to remove the joists out? The are hung using slant nail joist hangers, and they are 2x8's, if that helps at all. Should I really remove the joists? Is there a fancy way to push everything back to straight that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Thank you in advance,

Steven Scripko

Re: Joist question #1761 06/20/05 05:20 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
S,
Have nails been driven into the sides of the joists thru the sides of the hangers ?
Can you get to these nail heads with a small pry to pull them out ? Then lift em out, carefully shorten and re-insert.
If the joists have not been nailed just lift em out of the hangers, carefully shorten and re-insert.
Good luck.

Re: Joist question #1762 06/20/05 05:43 PM
S
Steven Scripko Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Emmett Greenleaf:
S,
Have nails been driven into the sides of the joists thru the sides of the hangers ?
Can you get to these nail heads with a small pry to pull them out ? Then lift em out, carefully shorten and re-insert.
If the joists have not been nailed just lift em out of the hangers, carefully shorten and re-insert.
Good luck.
They have been nailed in, but I'll try to get them out with the small pry.

Do you have any ideas if I can't get the nails out (short of burning the whole project down in disgust and annoyance)?

Thanks,

Steven

Re: Joist question #1763 06/20/05 08:25 PM
J
John Buday Offline
J
Steve

Sounds like the ol' "we did it wrong but we sure were fast" routine
As for removing the nails you may want to try either the hook end of a wonder bar braced against the beam or a cats paw to start the nails

Re: Joist question #1764 06/21/05 10:32 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I generally use a sawzall with a long blade to cut nails off if they are not easy to pull, get one of your energetic joist installers to cut em off smile

Re: Joist question #1765 06/21/05 03:38 PM
J
John Buday Offline
J
Mark/Steve

I considered that suggestion but in this case it would probably necessitate moving layout to avoid the nails left in the beam. And if the beam is to be exposed there is the problem of scaring and rusting nail debris.

And I bet Steve has this solved by now anywho

J.E.B.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users