Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: Paul Freeman] #17787 01/23/09 07:19 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Paul -

You can USE the dynamic components I've built in the latest free version - but you cannot CREATE the components (unless you can write Ruby scripts).

To get full functionality from SketchUp I purchased a license of the Pro version a few updates back... and now I just pay a mild upgrade fee when good stuff gets changed.

For ~$500 (and often times you'll be able to find specials - at AIA events building trade shows like Build Bostons and such) you get a really powerful visualization package. Its not perfect for drafting - but I'm developing ways to work with it to detail a frame + enclosure + schematic designs of whole building. So far so good.

You can do most things with the free version - but Pro gives you some more options for import / export, as well as the power to create the dynamic components... and you also get Layout - which is a page layout program that integrates with SketchUp for creating presentations and 2d drawings - from plans to sections to rendered images... add in Clark's TF Rubies - and you have a very capable CAD package for timber framers... (or furniture builders...)

Last edited by bmike; 01/23/09 07:20 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: bmike] #17788 01/24/09 12:08 AM
P
Paul Freeman Offline
P
Ahh, I see... sounds a little bit like Autosketch, aka AutoCAD LT back in the day, but more limited. Back then you could import a 3D drawing into LT and look at 3D objects, you could copy them and do some editing but you couldn't create them.

I'm very impressed anyway and I think its great what you're doing and how you're sharing it with the community, keep up the good work! For me of course I have so much invested in AutoCAD (programs, drawings, $$$) that it would be difficult to switch, not to mention that after 25 years of drawings in ACAD I don't think this old dog could learn something new, my fingers draw disconnected from my head now... (don't tell my clients that! smile

I'm looking forward to making a video of my program sometime soon and I'll post it here. By the way, anyone using Chief Architect? People I work with are checking it out, they like the ability to bring an Acad frame into it and draw the archtiectrual elements around it. It looks like its much easier to use than AutoCAD's Architectural package, but I couldn't say for sure....

Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: Paul Freeman] #17789 01/24/09 12:15 AM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
I have and use Chief Architect as well as Dietrichs.....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: Paul Freeman] #17790 01/24/09 01:42 AM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Paul -

Download the free version of SketchUp. I'm not doing it justice with my description. You could do most of what I've shown with copy / rotate / etc. using standard components. The self adjusting / updating is what the newest release gives one the power to create - entities that can change parametrically vs. graphically.

I was born and raised in the timber frame world on HSB / AutoCAD. I've played with Dietrich's and prior to all this with FormZ. Part of why I'm working with the new features and with SketchUp is because the entry barrier is so low... $500 can be spent by smaller shops and designers - esp ones that do not do CNC - to produce and develop sophisticated drawings.

I've posted a current project here:
www.mikebeganyi.com/webimages/timber/schnell-1-20-09-presentation-V6.skp

Use SketchUp 6or7 (free or pro) and click through the tabs at the top of the drawing window. I'm just now starting to detail the floorplans, sections, elevations, and frame.

Last edited by bmike; 01/24/09 01:42 AM.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: bmike] #17792 01/24/09 05:47 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Thanks for that skp. My only suggestion after a look would be to name and group your components so it's easier to find your way around in the outliner window.
And many thanks for posting on Utube, I've been through a lot of the Utube sketchup videos and so nice to have some timberframing there.
here is one of my favorite sketchup videos, probably the farmer in me.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Daz4N-WLA

Last edited by Mark Davidson; 01/24/09 05:49 AM. Reason: crappy spelling
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: Mark Davidson] #17793 01/24/09 11:08 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Mark B,

Thank you for supplying the link to the Sketchup Model. I downloaded same and set the animation in motion and this really is quite impressive. I particualry like the way that the building is cut away on progressive zoom in and out and when one considers that this program is available to download for free it's presentation quality is truly awesome.

I agree with Paul that it is difficult to think about throwing away years of investment (time and money) in AutoCAD but given that the free version allows import of *.dwg and *.dxf files this is not really required. Those used to 3D modelling inside AutoCAD can continue with same and then use Sketchup as a tool that can be used by clients to view their new (or old) home.

I am currently experimenting with a historic building owner to provide them with a Sketchup 3D model of their timber frame home in exchange for their hospitality and understanding whilst I get in the way, open cupboards and peer into the attic. I reckon that it would genuinely take about 5 minutes to get someone who has never touched a key board before to the point where they can open a Sketchup file and start manipulating the model.

This tool could be used to great advantage in the communication and sharing of information provided security and intellectual copright can be respected. The people who steadfastly remain paper bound are now most certainly missing a trick.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 01/24/09 11:16 AM. Reason: excited delirium

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: Mark Davidson] #17794 01/24/09 04:05 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I actually have several versions of that model and frame in various stages of detailing. I back saved it to V6 so some folks who haven't downloaded 7 could peer at it - not sure if that caused my group and organization set up to be altered.

I've broken things into both components, groups, and layers. The frame is actually another SKP file that I brought into the building model.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: Ken Hume] #17795 01/24/09 04:22 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ken - I've been using SketchUp for presentation to clients since V4, importing AutoCAD solids and doing JPGs and then animations. The section tools offer very powerful ways to show how the building fits together.

I currently use HSB / AutoCAD for most timber work (sales models, estimating, design, limited shop drawings, etc) - and while the tools are powerful they come at a steep price tag and learning curve. SketchUp, being free or pro for $500 eliminates 1 of those obstacles. The learning curve is pretty shallow too - esp for 'boxy' objects like timbers.

I have not found a more pleasant or friendly way to share data with clients, architects, and even sometimes engineers in the visualization phase of a project (and even later on - when we get into SKs for how things might be fit together under unforeseen circumstances). If folks do not want to download SketchUp or have fears of operating it - the slide show animation can be exported to a video, posted to the web, burned to CD, or emailed - allowing the sense of motion and seeing how various pieces fit together. Most clients can open a model and click through the tabs...

Intellectual property is a bit of a problem - not just with SketchUp but with electronic media in general. If we were on an HSB forum I doubt I would have posted a full model. With two of the large companies I was formerly employed (and now continue to do much freelance work) I've collaboratively invested time and $$ working to develop custom joinery solutions that transfer to CNC and streamline the shop drawing process. These items make the firm far more competitive in the market - something that has been discussed by all parties involved in developing the tools.

In a way SketchUp has opened sales doors for me as I can present in a way most timber framers (and companies) cannot. I'm open to investing in and sharing these tools and techniques though because I see this as more of a 'framing square and chisel' style of tool compared to a fancy graphics package and investment in a CNC machine. The hope is that by the time everyone makes a digital presentation of a prospective frame standard procedure... I'll be out front with something else... wink

I've been searching around for ways to 'lock' or watermark a 3d drawing. Not really finding any solid solutions yet.

-Mike

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: Mark Davidson] #17803 01/25/09 01:08 PM
B
bmike Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mark -
I went backed and checked on how the model was backsaved. I see plenty of groups and components. Not sure what you are seeing on your end - and it all makes sense to me.

-Mike

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Dyn Timber Video [Re: bmike] #17816 01/26/09 03:28 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Mike,
On this end I'm just missing the names, most of the names I see seem to be from the default system(timber<1>, timber<2>, etc. rather than components like "bedroom rafter" or "NW kitchen post" or a group like "bent 1".
I find if I take a moment to name timbers as I create them, I can find things quickly in the outliner window as the model gets more complicated.
If it makes sense to you that's all that counts.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users