Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Blog! #17863 01/29/09 11:39 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
HI everyone, I've made the decision to start blogging, and here's a link to my page:

http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.com/

If you're interested in what i have to say, you might wish to subscribe to the blog, as I will be posting frequently. Please pass on the link to anyone who might have interest.

Hope to see you there!

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: New Blog! [Re: Chris Hall] #17872 01/30/09 08:47 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Chris,

As discussed elsewhere on this forum is not our objective to bring more people to this forum in an effort to promote wider information exchange and understanding. The blog is an excellent personal endeavour but somehow the value of this might well be lost if it exists in isolation to the on line community.

This is another aspect affecting the wider operation of our on line community that needs to be fully capitalised upon e.g. should our personal profiles now include reference to blog spots in the same way that email and website adresses are currently listed.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 01/30/09 08:49 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: New Blog! [Re: Ken Hume] #17874 01/30/09 12:32 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Great blog, Chris. I've added it to my followed list and look forward to more. The French sawhorse is a mind-twister indeed. I love the rolled hips.

Keep up the good work!

Re: New Blog! [Re: Gabel] #17875 01/30/09 03:18 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Gramatical error clarification

Hi Chris,

Re my post above please note that this has caused some confusion and so I will attempt to restate my post more clearly. What I was trying to say is :-

As discussed elsewhere on this forum, our objective is to try and bring more people to this forum in an effort to promote wider information exchange and understanding.

The blog is an excellent personal endeavour but somehow the value of this could be lost if it exists in isolation to the TFG on line community.

This is yet another facility that needs to be fully capitalised upon by our on line community and so maybe our personal profiles should now include a reference to personal blog spots in the same way that email and website adresses are currently listed.

I hope that this is clearer !

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: New Blog! [Re: Ken Hume] #17876 01/30/09 03:32 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Hi Chris,

As discussed elsewhere on this forum is not our objective to bring more people to this forum in an effort to promote wider information exchange and understanding. The blog is an excellent personal endeavour but somehow the value of this might well be lost if it exists in isolation to the on line community.

This is another aspect affecting the wider operation of our on line community that needs to be fully capitalised upon e.g. should our personal profiles now include reference to blog spots in the same way that email and website adresses are currently listed.

Regards

Ken Hume

Huh? Are you actually saying that in regards to this forum it is, "not our objective to bring more people to this forum in an effort to promote wider information exchange and understanding."?!

EDIT: just posted, saw your revision, and will adjust my post accordingly....

I am going to go with the assumption that you simply expressed yourself unintentionally, despite your re-edits, and you in fact meant to say, "is it not our objective to bring more people to this forum in an effort to promote wider information exchange and understanding?". If so, I'm in full agreement with that, and am doing my part to help. I would be more than happy to link to the guild from my blog, providing the guild will reciprocate by linking my blog this site in some fashion. quid pro quo is the way to go.

And then you wrote a further astonishing comment,

"The blog is an excellent personal endeavour but somehow the value of this might well be lost if it exists in isolation to the on line community"

How does it exactly exist in isolation to the on-line community, being that the blog is on a public site, visited by diverse millions of people, daily, far more than are ever going to peruse this site, and thus exists to serve to spread a message about traditional craft to a far wider audience? If you want relative isolation to the online community, then look no further than this forum! I'm on half a dozen different discussion forums, and is one of the slower ones I know of, especially my little corner of it. I have things to say and things to talk about, and seek a wider audience. Not too many guild members so far seem to want to engage about Japanese carpentry and architecture in this medium, so what's a guy to do?

If you want isolation from the online community by the way, the thing to do is to create a private group on Yahoo, or not have any sort of group at all.

I intend to interlink with other like-minded craftspeople and specialty suppliers of tools of the trade, on my blog. If you go on my blog you can already see who's following it, click on their links and read their blogs, thus the reader has the power of forging new connections with people. You'll see one guild member among the group already, a fellow into the more traditional side of the craft.

People can subscribe to a blog and remain abreast of what happens on it - I already have a solid group of subscribers in fact. I expect this to grow by the day. People can post comments/questions and the like directly upon the blog.

Lots of people blog these days Ken, even timber framers - it's called 'freedom of speech and expression'. Some blogs are well written and interesting, some are not. Some blogs are diverse in subject matter, others are highly specialized. Some blogs change hourly, some don't have new posts for months and months. The reader can decide to read what is of interest to them, and if I start boring them, or losing them in technical minutiae, they will go elsewhere I'm sure. Its the same for newspapers and magazines of course. Blogging can only help promote that wider connection you mention Ken, and if it doesn't, then the message is obviously too narrow, or unappealing in some other way to most readers. Again, I'll let the audience decide. I want to connect with them, and a blog is an effective way to do that.

Last edited by Chris Hall; 01/30/09 03:36 PM.

Re: New Blog! [Re: Gabel] #17877 01/30/09 03:38 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Gabel
Great blog, Chris. I've added it to my followed list and look forward to more. The French sawhorse is a mind-twister indeed. I love the rolled hips.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Gabel - I appreciate your positive comments. I'm feeling quite charged about the whole thing, so you should have lots to read over the coming months.

~Chris

Re: New Blog! [Re: Chris Hall] #17878 01/30/09 04:03 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Chris,

I think Ken was saying that your blog and others like it are too important and valuable to exist in isolation from this forum, so we should think about increasing the visibility of these individual efforts here, perhaps by adding a blog address line item to our personal profiles on this forum.

I have tried to accomplish this for my blog and website and at the same time make it more visible to the little critters that rank websites for search engine results by including a live link to them in my signature line.

Re: New Blog! [Re: ] #17880 01/30/09 05:29 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Chris,

My sincere apologies for the extremely poor quality of my early morning grammer and it seems that even my clarification posted just before your reply does not seem to have helped however I am very happy and relieved to confirm that Gabel's interpretation is spot on. Just to be clear - I'm all for it!

Thank you Gabel and Daiku who originally brought this to my attention.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: New Blog! [Re: Ken Hume] #17881 01/30/09 08:05 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Nice blog Chris.

You're a good writer--I like the way you present the material. I'm sure it will gain followers. What you're doing is a lot like what some of us here have been recently advocating: Creating a "forum" geared toward historic discussion. Seems this Guild is heavily focused on those who are active timberframers, but as your blog and its early following suggests, there are those also interested in historic research and the roots of the craft seeking a "forum." I hope your blog ferrets out some like-minded folks.

As to what Ken was saying, I think his (and my) wish is to have something like your blog emerge here in the TFG community where its more free-formed and people can enter topics and have them discussed / commented on...I'm not a blog expert, but I think blogs are not as "free-formed" as forums (a blog has a clear "leader" etc...).

Anyway, I salute your new venture, wish it well, and will follow it. Keep it up!

Last edited by OurBarns1; 01/30/09 08:09 PM.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: New Blog! [Re: OurBarns1] #17883 01/30/09 10:48 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Appreciation to all for the posting on this thread. One of the things I hope to achieve through my blog is to connect to people who otherwise have no exposure to traditional craft work, including potential clients of course, but also people whose interests do not run to the technical nuances of timber carpentry, of Japanese woodworking. On a blog I'm not confined so much as within a forum. I'm interested in traditional work, both east and west, and yet history is of great interest to me as well, in general terms. I like making furniture too - no avenue for discussing that on this forum. So for me, a blog is very free-formed - anybody who registers to blogspot can comment upon my blog postings, and I will engage with them - it's not a private discussion. I could opt to allow unregistered people post, but then you open up to the possibility of spam bot attack. Been there, done that, no thanks.

This forum is pretty much geared to the tech crowd- and it's hard to find for the layperson, even if they do come upon the guilds main web page. This forum could be developed far more than it is, it seems to me, to reach a wider audience.

I put up a couple of new postings today, and added a 'subscribe' toolbar to the side. Another nice thing about a blog is that I can customize it as I like when I like, as opposed to a forum, where it would take a meeting and consensus.

Re: New Blog! [Re: ] #17909 01/31/09 10:42 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Didn't you know I write in a straightjacket?

Re: New Blog! [Re: ] #18116 02/11/09 08:06 PM
frwinks Offline
being a tf enthusiast and not being able to do it for a living cry I love reading/looking @ all the TF blogs and related sites I can get my eyes on. Thanks for starting it, and @ $45, I'll take four stools pls grin

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: New Blog! [Re: frwinks] #18145 02/13/09 02:02 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah, I think there's something not quite right with that business model for $45 stools. I'll put you on the list though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users