Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: Ken Hume] #17986 02/04/09 12:07 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I have been following this threas and each morning I read it and go over it and go back and look at the first drawing. This morning there it is, thanks for the hand in hand picture, bmike and Mo, perfectly clear now.

If someone can create an idea in his head but has to have someone build it, it should be a shared credit, wouldn't you say? The idea/thought is just that, without the builder, whoever he is, the idea stays in that dimention. The builder brings the idea into a phyiscal dimention.

The workers under the bishop should get the credit, in my book. Why do we not hear about them? Too low on the spectrum, perhaps. Where did the bishop get his ideas from?

Tim

Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: mo] #17990 02/04/09 03:24 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Originally Posted By: mo

Anyone got any ideas on how they raised this? From the research there are no chase mortises present.

Are you talking about the hand in hand floor beams?

I would guess the beam pockets in the masonry were deeper than needed and the beams were slid in too far and then back out to engage the mortise. They would also have needed to scaffold the beams until the connections were made.

Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: Gabel] #17997 02/04/09 06:13 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Tim,

Strangely enough we do know the names of the craftsmen involved in the making and building of the Westminster Hall hammer beam roof and also even the names of the cart drivers who carted hundreds of loads of finished timbers from Farnham to The Thames for onward transport by barge down to Westminster. This job was incredibly well documented I suppose because such good financial accounts were kept by the Bishop's bailiffs. I think that I have a *.pdf of this information somewhere if it is of interest to you.

Some artists design works of art in timber and then get craftsmen to make the works of art to their design but the accreditation lies with the artist and not the craftsmen. I don't like to give the impression that I am promoting a downer on craftsmen however many more people can make or copy things but few can conceive original ideas. I concurr with your idea for all round recognition but that is not how it seems to work - life's not fair at times !

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 02/04/09 06:13 PM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: Ken Hume] #17999 02/04/09 09:35 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Mo, this post is really interesting.

A great example of documenting the history of TF through the internet. In less than a week there's been books quoted, and enthusiasts from two countries talking to each other. Imagine seeking this info 10-15 years ago.

"Hand-in-Hand" looks a bit like spokes in a wheel, but w/ a square hub. It would be a neat way to frame a floor for an opening...maybe a stairwell. And the exposed beams would make for a unique display as the ceiling below.

Thanks for posting!

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: Paul Freeman] #18228 02/17/09 09:33 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Paul Freeman
I am very interested in the pins (rivets?) that are attached to the flat straps which are then pinned through the queenpost. The drawing implies an oblong shaped slot presumably shaped so that the strap portion could be slid up through the beam, then the head of the rivet is large enough to overlap the sides of the slot for bearing so that they are not pulled through.

A very small chain mortiser might make easy work of the slot, I suspect they did something different, any thoughts on how this might have been accomplished?

Surprised no one has taken a stab at this one. It's a great question.

My guess is a drill started it, then maybe a long narrow "keyhole"-type handsaw? Or maybe a file/rasp of some sort??

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: OurBarns1] #21971 12/07/09 02:13 AM
D
Don P Offline
D
I was surfing around during this weekend's snow while feeding the woodstove and critiqueing Christmas cookies. I read a thread on another forum about a reciprocal roof which lead to a link that mentioned Dr Popovic. The concept of the roof was intriguing and I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. It seems to be a modification of what is being discussed here.
It worked with any number of members greater than 3.

The connections were just 1/8" holes drilled with #12 copper wire loosely hooked through to prevent the members from sliding. I was fully expecting a collapse but it was quite strong.

Just call me easily entertained.

Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: Don P] #21975 12/07/09 01:16 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
nice!

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: Don P] #21979 12/07/09 03:42 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Don P

I was fully expecting a collapse but it was quite strong.

That's interesting... a good example of "many hands make light work."

for the purposes of quick math, if you weigh 200 lbs, each of the 7 "spokes" only need support 28.5 pounds.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: OurBarns1] #21981 12/08/09 12:22 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
No thrust on the walls, either?

Is this like building something twisted to its furthest extent, there for it can't go any more? Take common rafters for example, but they exert thrust on the walls. If you release them from their accepted form by twisting them into this new approach, there you have it? Could torque be involved? Where does the energy go?

Don, was it a complete wrap of the wire and twisted off? Did it relax under your load, stretch to tighten up, just a bit?

I may have to give this a try.

Tim

Re: Hand-in-Hand framing [Re: TIMBEAL] #21984 12/08/09 04:15 AM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
Nice Don P

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users