Page 34 of 136 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18079 02/09/09 02:27 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight

further to our discussion of the husking frame and associated equipment

In our mill the power source is complemented by steam power, which is located adjacent to the the mill structure and on a level that allows the power to be transmitted to the husking frame from the steam engine's flywheel which is 8 feet in diameter. the power is tranmitted using again 12 inch pure leather belting which was made special in England for this purpose. The belt is endless and is approximately 120 feet long

Both the steam engine and the 42" water turbine puts out equal horsepower which is in this case 45 hp and answers the question that I posed above and which I received no takers.

When the steam engine is engaged it in turns not only runs the mill equipment but has to revolve the water turbine because it is hooked directly to the shafting and there is no way to disengage it. In this regard it (the turbine)requires some water to lubricate the lignum vitae wood bearing that it spins on at all times. It also supplies some latent power due to the spinning action and the weight of itself as it spins at about 100 rpm.

As you get everything up and running the steam engine's flywheel the turbine, the grinding stones you are tapping into alot of energy sources just due to to revolving of all the different parts. This acts also like a governor and helps move the equipment through some of the tough grinding sequences, or as you engage extra milling equipment.

hope you enjoy

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18210 02/17/09 01:48 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Eventhough my background is mainly historic woodworking which involves hewing, timberframing, adzing, general historic carpentry, I also had to be able to produce authentic wall finishes which included not only wood finishes but plaster finishes using only historic mixtures.

As the years rolled by the operation and maintenance of the 1846 Mullay Saw mill became a part of my regular job description, which continued and ensued multiple repairs and restorations of the equipment and the mill itself.

When I talk about the Grist mill above you probably wonder how I became involved with that type of mill which seems to be so far removed from sawing lumber with a vertical blade. The task of installing the husking frame was suddenly part of my responsibility during the resoration process, then installing the steam engine which sits on a very heavy oak base which had to be custom made came up for me to fabricate and install, all this I enjoyed being a part of.

The mill itself needed some replacement sills and plates these were custom hewn to match the original ones, and had to be ready when the construction crew required them.

All in allit was a learning process, and working with various groups of tradesmen including and historic miller and his son I was introduced to and had to assist them in placing and setting the bed stones and runners, along with the pulleys and adjustments to the grinding stones.

One thing that I did learn was eventhough everything looks very crude to your eye, things like the stone adjustments were very accurate, and one could adjust the separation of the stones by the thousands of an inch increments due to the manner of the installation.

The same is true of the Mullay Saw milling equipment it looks very crude but in reality it's adjustments are like a fine watch

Well I guess I will sign off for tonight if there is anything dealing with the topics as I talk and explain day to day just leave me a note and I will be glad to expand on that particular topic for you

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18269 02/18/09 10:51 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
This has nothing to do with historic hewing, but here are some shots of the rigging at a TFG raising--the Farm and Wilderness barn in VT. Three walls were raised from 2 ginpoles, guylines went to massive concrete blocks. Different sections of the camp raised the individual walls throughout one day. Roof framing was helped along by hydraulics.

You can sorta see the homemade pivot on the bottom of the poles, I believe it's part of the Guild's toolkit.

The smallest kids at the camp raised the center wall which was pretty cool to see:

And this is how the ginpoles went away...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: timberwrestler] #18364 02/25/09 01:37 AM
N
OP Offline
N
HI everyone tonight:
Thanks for the wonder pics timberwrestler I am sure that many will really enjoy them as well as myself. I wish that I could be a part of one of these wonderful get togethers, I know from experience that working with wood using any type of timbers hewn or otherwise can produce a wonderful, interesting, entertaining and educational event.

thanks for stopping in and sharing your experiences with everyone who seems to enjoy stoppoing by

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18394 03/03/09 01:57 AM
N
OP Offline
N
HI everyone tonight:

Well this next question is again a bit off the line from what we were talking about but I was just asked a question about supplying a bit of the history of square square nails for dating purposes.

From my research over the years square nails began being cut by newly patented machines about 1820 in Massechusets, and were improved upon year by year with new and better nail cutting machines. When you access the patent office records slight improvements and styles were to come forward as the patents and machines were put into service. This continued until the cutting of round nails was developed in the late 1800's and slowly edged out cut nails in the early 1900's at least around here.

These improvements usually came in the form of the nail heads, and the shank or body of the nails themselves.

One thing that I have wondered about though is did the square nail production in the States also run parallel with ahead of or behind say Britain or Europe.

Maybe Ken Hume could comment on this question I have always puzzled over this fact, realizing that Other countries also developed their own special patents to cover things such as cut nails for their own areas.

Thanks in advance

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18400 03/03/09 06:45 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi NH,

The person to answer this question is Chris How MSc. He is a Brit who now lives in Australia. Chris has studied and written much on nail development and especially in resepct of the development of patent nail cutting machines. I will forward your request on to Chris.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18401 03/03/09 10:24 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: northern hewer
HI everyone tonight:

One thing that I have wondered about though is did the square nail production in the States also run parallel with ahead of or behind say Britain or Europe.

NH:

Great subject...

The Audels "Carpenters and Builders Guide" (1923), states that at the end of the 18th century, American nail making machines were introduced to England where they were received w/ "great enthusiasm." (I assume the text is referring to cut nails).

And as far as Massachusetts goes, the text grants the first wire nail in America instead to a New Yorker in 1851.

It also states a German immigrant, a Catholic priest, who settled in Kentucky in 1876 formed the American Wire and Screw Nail Co. The priest learned the art of wire nails in his native Germany, so it sounds like some cross-continent stuff certainly went on.

The text does say Tauton, Massachusetts pretty much cornered the industry of "tack" making years ago.

Don't know how this info compares w/ what you've uncovered... anyway, looking forward to some more information from a scholar like Ken's contact.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Ken Hume] #18406 03/04/09 01:38 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi Ken

Thanks for stopping in with that contact person's name, I am really looking forward to hearing a response from him.

There is nothing like information from someone that has put a real effort into a particular subject and we all pretty well know that dating buildings makes a valuable use of nail types along with other factors to come to a knowledgeable conclusion.

I am sure that there are many others that are also waiting to hear his reply on this subject.

A few years ago there was a very good article on the "History of Nails Manufacturing" in one of the research magazines that came regularly to the library at UCV, the name of that magazine escapes me at the moment but I think that it came from a Washington source.

Thanks again for stopping in

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18407 03/04/09 01:46 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi again

This message is for Don:

Sorry for seeming to neglect your wonderful reply I didn't notice it when I opened up the site tonight and it wasn't until after I answered Ken's notes that I scrolled upwards and noticed your well stated and information filled reply.

Your mention that seems to imply that the tecnology flowed back towards Britain takes me by surprise, we will see what is forthcoming from Ken's friend in Australia.

Thanks again for coming on board

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18408 03/04/09 03:00 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Hi NH:

I do the same thing sometimes: miss peoples posts.

In reviewing your first post, I see you are focusing more on cut nails than the wire type, making some of my later comments less relevant. But the Audels book does state that American cut nail machines were brought to England first, not the other way around. Like yourself, I find this interesting and a bit counterintuitive. But thinking further, England was not awash in lumber like the Americas were at the time.

There must have been a great need for nails w/ all the forest resources (sawn lumber) from the many mills in the increasingly-industrial "New World." After all, England and Europe are home to no-nails-required systems like thatched roofs and wattle and daub, rather than shingles and board sheathing using many nails (just a hypothesis).

This book is a great study of New England historical methods of building. It covers cut nail manufacture and dates- pg. 24+25:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2W1Lq_nvlCQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=field+guide+new+england+barns#PPA24,M1

Again, nice topic. Looking forward to more discussion.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Page 34 of 136 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users